Can SATA be used with PATA

Old December 29th 03, 03:48 PM
Mark

Default Can SATA be used with PATA

Hi

Running 2 hds (prim pata) 2 CDs (sec pata)
Just added a SATA hd and now my cds wont work getting
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) ????

Can you run pata and sata together ?

Old December 29th 03, 03:54 PM
Courseyauto

what motherboard?
Old December 29th 03, 04:09 PM
Mark

Sorry its a a7n8x
"Courseyauto" wrote in message
what motherboard?

Old December 29th 03, 04:10 PM
Mark

Also ive tried uninstalling the cd roms (and the sec channel) and letting
windows redected it... no luck

Old December 29th 03, 05:07 PM
Ron

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...k_dec_lgsc.asp

Mark - several months ago, I used to see a steady stream of people who had
lost their optical drives unexpectedly. Invariably it was due to a quirk
associated with one or more CD-burning app's. Evidently those app's modify
a small [but significant] entry in the registry.

In any case, to answer your orig Q; yes. You can certainly use 4 IDE
devices with another 2 on the Serial controller. But, before tinkering with
the registry, I would like to toss out an idea: What about a little
experimentation with the boot sequence in the BIOS? Since you didn't say
otherwise, I'm assuming that the PATA PRI/MSTR is your boot drive...but
perhaps the boot sequence has been altered since you added the Serial drive.
Or perhaps the boot sequence is unchanged...but now that you have a Serial
drive installed, it makes a difference that was previously ignored(?)

Have a snoop around in there and see if you can effect the desired
performance. Meanwhile someone else will probably toss in some additional
feedback, and we'll go from there.

Ron