Is there such a thing as ROM software?

Old September 23rd 04, 01:05 AM
jm

Default Is there such a thing as ROM software?

How much "space" can a ROM chip hold? I know this may sound stupid,
but why can't they put the Operating System on a ROM chip and make it
faster? Or Microsoft Office on a ROM chip? I was just thinking about
it and was curious. Thanks for indulging me.
Old September 23rd 04, 01:15 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
jm wrote:
How much "space" can a ROM chip hold? I know this may sound stupid,
but why can't they put the Operating System on a ROM chip and make it
faster? Or Microsoft Office on a ROM chip? I was just thinking about
it and was curious. Thanks for indulging me.

It depends on who "they" is, and what's the purpose of the OS, and
the computer it's installed in.

Most of the OS in a Palm Pilot is in ROM. There is a Linux in ROM in
many Linksys routers. Cable TV desktop boxes have some flavor
of Unix in them. Lots of other consumer devices do.

There is an OS (fsvo "OS") in ROM in your PC. It's the BIOS and it's
just bright enough to book the OS of your choice, be it WIn/98, Linux,
Freebsd, XP, w2k, etc. And that's the point. Anything in ROM is
static inflexible.

Besides, if it's in ROM you can't sell upgrades easily.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old September 23rd 04, 01:48 AM
Yousuf Khan

jm wrote:
How much "space" can a ROM chip hold? I know this may sound stupid,
but why can't they put the Operating System on a ROM chip and make it
faster? Or Microsoft Office on a ROM chip? I was just thinking about
it and was curious. Thanks for indulging me.

These days, ROM is really flashram. And they have tons of storage these
days. Just look at any memory stick, digital camera, MP3 player, or
cellphone, and how much memory they have. Some of these things have several
times more storage capacity than my first PC hard drive (my first one was a
30MB drive in a PC-XT clone).

Yousuf Khan

Old September 23rd 04, 02:02 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Yousuf Khan wrote:
jm wrote:
How much "space" can a ROM chip hold? I know this may sound stupid,
but why can't they put the Operating System on a ROM chip and make it
faster? Or Microsoft Office on a ROM chip? I was just thinking about
it and was curious. Thanks for indulging me.

These days, ROM is really flashram. And they have tons of storage these
days. Just look at any memory stick, digital camera, MP3 player, or
cellphone, and how much memory they have. Some of these things have several
times more storage capacity than my first PC hard drive (my first one was a
30MB drive in a PC-XT clone).

Yousuf Khan

5MB hard disk.. ISTR the list price was $999. Slower than an old 1X
CD reader.

At the same time I had 200MB disk drives on the mainframe systems
that cost $40k each.

--
Al Dykes