Problems installing extra periphs

Old December 30th 04, 01:36 AM
Graham Hicks

Default Problems installing extra periphs

First things first - my original setup:

Elitegroup 651-M motherboard with onboard graphics, sound, LAN and modem
chips;
Intel P4 2.8 GHz CPU;
500 Mb RAM make unknown;
Seagate 80 Gb HDD;
Samsung Combo DVD/CD reader/CD writer;
Acer 15" LCD monitor.

In chronological order I added:

Linksys WRT54g wireless network card;
Echo Gina 24 soundcard on breakout box with PCI connection;
ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 XT graphics card on AGP port.

Everything worked OK, then I added:

Seagate 200 Gb HDD;
Asus DVD/CD reader/writer.

Big problems arose immediately. Symptoms have been many and varied. 1st
the wireless mouse was dead and no longer works on any computer. Next a
PS/2 wheel mouse behaved erratically (it previously worked fine on another
machine, but no longer).

A 3rd old, non-wheel mouse works OK, but the system constantly crashes even
trying to use the simplest of software, e.g. Freecell or trying to read
from either the CD or DVD drives.

I first suspected I had connected the 4 drives incorrectly, they were all
set to cable select and I changed this to master/slave, no change. I then
changed their configuration from:

both HDDs on IDE channel 1 and both CD/DVDs on IDE channel 2 to:

80 Gb boot HDD as master on IDE channel 1 with DVD writer as slave and 200
Gb HDD as master on IDE channel 2 with CD writer as slave.

No change to system performance.

Next I removed the graphics card, sound card and wireless network card and
reset BIOS to use onboard graphics chip, sound chip and LAN chip.

System performance actually worse now, I can no longer get any higher screen
resolution than 800 x 600 and the monitor keeps telling me "Input not
supported". I have re-installed Windows XP Home many times without effect.

Now I'm somewhat stumped. The power supply unit is 310 watts which I
thought was enough, but not sure now. I have read that high-end graphics
cards use up to 100 watts, but that the AGP port provides only 41 watts so
the ATI card should only require up to 41 watts.

I can find next to no info on the power usage of all the components of my
computer but suspect they may add up to more than 310 watts.

Now that I have removed the graphics, sound and network cards the power
usage is obviously reduced, but the system still doesn't work properly.
Could it be that I over-stressed the power supply and that this has damaged
the motherboard or the CPU or the RAM?

I will get an uprated power supply, but feel that this alone will not fix
the computer. Can I isolate which part has been damaged without having to
buy or borrow replacements?

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA

Graham Hicks

Old December 30th 04, 04:33 AM
Mac Cool

Graham Hicks:

I will get an uprated power supply, but feel that this alone will not
fix the computer. Can I isolate which part has been damaged without
having to buy or borrow replacements?

Get the new power supply, a good one, and then let's see.

how big?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=844691

which brand?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566
--
Mac Cool
Old December 30th 04, 05:54 AM
Graham Hicks

Mac Cool

Thanks for the link, just what I needed to choose a new PSU. I've been
thro' the calculator and found that I need 4 amps from the 3.3 v rail, 19
amps from the 5 v rail and 20 amps from the 12 v rail.

From the specs of the PSUs listed, its the 12 v rail that's most likely
giving me trouble as many of the PSUs just do not supply that sort of
current on that rail.

Just in case I add any more periphs later I will look for 500+ watts and
Fortron, Sparkle and Zippy seem to be highly recommended brands.

Even though I've removed 3 cards, it possible I'm still drawing more power
than my PSU can supply.

I'll see how it goes with the new PSU - fingers crossed!

Graham

Graham Hicks:

Old December 31st 04, 12:37 AM
Andy

Pentium 3.0EG Prescott
Epox EP-4PDA5+
512 MB RAM
AiW Radeon 7200 AGP
3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI
FusionHDTV II
WinTV 401
3 Seagate 200 GB Hard Drives
NEC ND-2500 DVD+/-RW Drive
Floppy Drive
Power Supply: Works W64BF-SBL 400w
Power (CPU 0 - 1 %): 150 Watts; PF: .65
(HT CPU1+2 75 %): 216 Watts; PF: .68

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:54:42 +0800, "Graham Hicks"
wrote:

Mac Cool

Thanks for the link, just what I needed to choose a new PSU. I've been
thro' the calculator and found that I need 4 amps from the 3.3 v rail, 19
amps from the 5 v rail and 20 amps from the 12 v rail.

From the specs of the PSUs listed, its the 12 v rail that's most likely
giving me trouble as many of the PSUs just do not supply that sort of
current on that rail.

Just in case I add any more periphs later I will look for 500+ watts and
Fortron, Sparkle and Zippy seem to be highly recommended brands.

Even though I've removed 3 cards, it possible I'm still drawing more power
than my PSU can supply.

I'll see how it goes with the new PSU - fingers crossed!

Graham

Graham Hicks:

Old December 31st 04, 01:33 AM
Graham Hicks

At home last night I checked my PSU rating. It's a GTR brand and only
delivers 16 amps on the 12 volt rail. I need 20 amps with all the periphs
on board. Even with the graphics, sound and wireless network cards removed
I need 17.5 amps. Will get uprated PSU today and hope that there is no
damage to the mobo, CPU or RAM.

Graham

wrote:

Mac Cool

Thanks for the link, just what I needed to choose a new PSU. I've been
thro' the calculator and found that I need 4 amps from the 3.3 v rail, 19
amps from the 5 v rail and 20 amps from the 12 v rail.

From the specs of the PSUs listed, its the 12 v rail that's most likely
giving me trouble as many of the PSUs just do not supply that sort of
current on that rail.

Just in case I add any more periphs later I will look for 500+ watts and
Fortron, Sparkle and Zippy seem to be highly recommended brands.

Even though I've removed 3 cards, it possible I'm still drawing more power
than my PSU can supply.

I'll see how it goes with the new PSU - fingers crossed!

Graham

Graham Hicks:

Old January 3rd 05, 12:08 AM
Graham Hicks

Installed Antec PSU over the weekend. Only noticeable change is that the
CPU runs cooler, 33 degrees instead of 40 degrees. Computer continues to
crash continually.

Looks like I have to track down which component has gone - mobo, CPU or RAM.

Anyone any ideas how to do this other than replace each part?

Graham

Old January 3rd 05, 12:31 AM
kony

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:08:05 +0800, "Graham Hicks"
wrote:

Installed Antec PSU over the weekend. Only noticeable change is that the
CPU runs cooler, 33 degrees instead of 40 degrees. Computer continues to
crash continually.

Looks like I have to track down which component has gone - mobo, CPU or RAM.

Anyone any ideas how to do this other than replace each part?

Graham

Unlikely that the CPU has "gone" but perhaps overheating or
instable due to motherboard failings.

Test with memtest86 or memtest86+ and Prime95's Torture
test, each for multiple hours.

Are you certain the Antec PSU was of suitable capacity, and
you measured voltages to determine this?
Old January 3rd 05, 01:39 AM
Mac Cool

kony:

Anyone any ideas how to do this other than replace each part?

Test with memtest86 or memtest86+ and Prime95's Torture
test, each for multiple hours.

One of the links I posted dealt with a memory compatibility issue. I'm
wondering if the motherboard is picky about memory, then memtest may not
expose the problem.

Are you certain the Antec PSU was of suitable capacity, and
you measured voltages to determine this?

This will be his 2nd PS. He may have intuitively been correct about the
motherboard being the problem.
--
Mac Cool
Old January 3rd 05, 01:59 AM
Graham Hicks

I went to the website recommended by Mac Cool elsewhere in this thread and
used the calculator there to determine my requirements - which a

4 amps on the 3.3 volt rail;
19 amps on the 5.0 volt rail and
20 amps on the 12 volt rail.

The Antec PSU can supply:

35 amps on the 3.3 volt rail;
36 amps on the 5.0 volt rail and
26 amps on the 12 volt rail.

I will get memtest86 or memtest86+ and test the RAM.

Graham