SATA Boot drive and IDE data drives?

Old June 14th 04, 12:30 PM
me!!

Default SATA Boot drive and IDE data drives?

Hi

I have a asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo and an xp 3200+ cpu.

Currently my main hard drives are 80gb maxtor boot drive and a 60gb
ibm drive as games drive. i also have a 60gb usb2 drive that holds a
drive image of my boot drive.

Can i install a Serial ATA drive to boot from ( was thinking of a
wsetern digital raptor 36Gb 10,000 rpm ) and use my 2 existing ide
drives as storage? If so i can connect the sata drive 1st then use
drive image to copy my boot drive onto it and then set it as boot
drive. Do sata drives use a master/slave setting? If so ca i keep my
ide drives as primary master and slave, and my optical drives as
secondary master and slave?

Do i have to tell the bios to boot from sata 1st?

thanks

kerry
Old June 14th 04, 02:31 PM
notritenoteri

I've just plugged in a Seagate SATA drive so the WD setup may be a bit
different.
Seagate has a drive install program that is just as smooth as silk that you
downlaod (10 megs)
The AV600 MB has 2 SATA ports you can connect one drive to each no master
slave as far as I know. The Seagate software contains copy software which
does everything for you. It allows choices for partioning and whether or not
you want to keep your old drive or flush it. As far as I know the SATA
appears recognized as SCSI and have nothing to do with the IDE drives.
Changing the boot order and/or boot devices is done in the BIOS. However the
SATA install software used the next available drive letter to ID the SATA
drive so if you need to reference your old boot drive (usually C you have
to change drive letters. You can't just re-cable like you do with IDE
drives. This is the fuzzy area, renaming the boot drive. I run XP pro and
I'm about to attempt to change drive letters hopefully without blowing
myself out of the water.
BTW I think you need at least SP1 to make everthing work OK.

Old June 14th 04, 02:36 PM
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:30:43 +0100, me!! wrote:

Do sata drives use a master/slave setting?

no, the master/slave concept applies to two drives on one parallel
cable, there is only one drive on a SATA cable so the concept is
redundant.

Phil
Old June 14th 04, 02:47 PM
Doug Ramage

"me!!" wrote in message
Hi

I have a asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo and an xp 3200+ cpu.

Currently my main hard drives are 80gb maxtor boot drive and a 60gb
ibm drive as games drive. i also have a 60gb usb2 drive that holds a
drive image of my boot drive.

Can i install a Serial ATA drive to boot from ( was thinking of a
wsetern digital raptor 36Gb 10,000 rpm ) and use my 2 existing ide
drives as storage? If so i can connect the sata drive 1st then use
drive image to copy my boot drive onto it and then set it as boot
drive. Do sata drives use a master/slave setting? If so ca i keep my
ide drives as primary master and slave, and my optical drives as
secondary master and slave?

Do i have to tell the bios to boot from sata 1st?

thanks

kerry

I did a similar thing a few weeks ago.

Using Ghost I cloned my OS (Windows XP Pro) from a PATA drive to SATA drive.
Then removed the PATA drive from the machine to keep as a backup and
replaced it with another PATA drive.

I had already installed the SATA drivers via Device Manager on my PATA
drive. I assume you will have to do this also, then either re-image or, like
me, clone the new OS drive.

The SATA drive needs to be seen as SCSI in the BIOS for booting.

SATA is a single channel, so no Master/Slave necessary.
--
Doug Ramage

Old June 14th 04, 04:33 PM
Rob

me!! wrote:
Hi

I have a asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo and an xp 3200+ cpu.

Currently my main hard drives are 80gb maxtor boot drive and a 60gb
ibm drive as games drive. i also have a 60gb usb2 drive that holds a
drive image of my boot drive.

Can i install a Serial ATA drive to boot from ( was thinking of a
wsetern digital raptor 36Gb 10,000 rpm ) and use my 2 existing ide
drives as storage? If so i can connect the sata drive 1st then use
drive image to copy my boot drive onto it and then set it as boot
drive. Do sata drives use a master/slave setting? If so ca i keep my
ide drives as primary master and slave, and my optical drives as
secondary master and slave?

Do i have to tell the bios to boot from sata 1st?

thanks

kerry

To add to what Doug said, I took my old PATA drive and Ghosted it to the
SATA, then reformatted the PATA, since I had an image on another drive
(like your USB one). If your SATA & PATA have the same capacity, be
careful here! When booting with the BIOS 'First Boot Device' set to
SCSI, WinXP then recognized the SATA drive as C:\ and renamed the other
drives appropriately. I hope Drive Image will work the in same way as
long as you clone the entire disk and not just a partition! HTH

Rob

Old June 14th 04, 08:05 PM
Ben Pope

me!! wrote:
Hi

I have a asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo and an xp 3200+ cpu.

Currently my main hard drives are 80gb maxtor boot drive and a 60gb
ibm drive as games drive. i also have a 60gb usb2 drive that holds a
drive image of my boot drive.

Can i install a Serial ATA drive to boot from ( was thinking of a
wsetern digital raptor 36Gb 10,000 rpm )

Thats what I have, in that configuration.

and use my 2 existing ide drives as storage?

Yep.

If so i can connect the sata drive 1st then use drive image to
copy my boot drive onto it and then set it as boot drive.

Yep, thats certainly been done.

Do sata drives use a master/slave setting?

No

If so ca i keep my
ide drives as primary master and slave, and my optical drives as
secondary master and slave?

Yes.

Do i have to tell the bios to boot from sata 1st?

Technically, no. But you will likely have far fewer problems if you set the
boot order to SCSI above IDE.

Ben