Microsoft rocks BUILD with Windows 8

Old September 18th 11, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Default Microsoft rocks BUILD with Windows 8

Ufffffff, note the last sentence:
'. . . he [leo laporte] believes that the computer as we have known it is
likely dead.'

http://techguylabs.com/radio/ShowNotes/Show805

Microsoft announced Windows 8 at their BUILD conference and over a half
million people have downloaded the free developers preview so far. Windows 8
is re-imagined to incorporate tablet functions. It’s faster than Windows 7,
looks a lot like Windows Phone 7 interface. It’s a bold, brave move by
Microsoft and Leo says that designers had to rethink what an operating
system is and are finally realizing that people want to use hardware
intuitively.

But Leo also is frustrated because he says that it feels like Microsoft is
trying to put a tablet experience on a desktop. Still, he also believes that
the computer as we have known it is likely dead.

Old September 18th 11, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

geoff wrote:

Ufffffff, note the last sentence:
'. . . he [leo laporte] believes that the computer as we have known it is
likely dead.'

http://techguylabs.com/radio/ShowNotes/Show805

Microsoft announced Windows 8 at their BUILD conference and over a half
million people have downloaded the free developers preview so far. Windows 8
is re-imagined to incorporate tablet functions. Its faster than Windows 7,
looks a lot like Windows Phone 7 interface. Its a bold, brave move by
Microsoft and Leo says that designers had to rethink what an operating
system is and are finally realizing that people want to use hardware
intuitively.

But Leo also is frustrated because he says that it feels like Microsoft is
trying to put a tablet experience on a desktop. Still, he also believes that
the computer as we have known it is likely dead.

Same ancient crapola spewed by promoters of in-the-cloud computing
(i.e., turn your computer back into a dumb terminal too do everything on
the server/cloud).
Old September 19th 11, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

On Sep 18, 1:02*pm, "geoff" wrote:
Ufffffff, note the last sentence:
'. . . he [leo laporte] believes that the computer as we have known it is
likely dead.'

For kids under 20? Yes, maybe, if they aren't gamers.
Old September 19th 11, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 15:02:01 -0400, "geoff" wrote:

| Ufffffff, note the last sentence:
| '. . . he [leo laporte] believes that the computer as we have known it is
| likely dead.'
|

| http://techguylabs.com/radio/ShowNotes/Show805
|
| Microsoft announced Windows 8 at their BUILD conference and over a half
| million people have downloaded the free developers preview so far. Windows 8
| is re-imagined to incorporate tablet functions. Its faster than Windows 7,
| looks a lot like Windows Phone 7 interface. Its a bold, brave move by
| Microsoft and Leo says that designers had to rethink what an operating
| system is and are finally realizing that people want to use hardware
| intuitively.
|
| But Leo also is frustrated because he says that it feels like Microsoft is
| trying to put a tablet experience on a desktop. Still, he also believes that
| the computer as we have known it is likely dead.

Likely more of the computer deciding what you want to do and then jumping the
gun and doing it for you, even when it's frequently wrong. Then there is more
work for you than if you had issued directions from the start. Also, probably
less customizable since M$ knows better what we need than we do ourselves.

Larc
Old September 20th 11, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sep 18, 3:02 pm, "geoff" wrote:
Ufffffff, note the last sentence:
'. . . he [leo laporte] believes that the computer as we have known it is
likely dead.'

http://techguylabs.com/radio/ShowNotes/Show805

Microsoft announced Windows 8 at their BUILD conference and over a half
million people have downloaded the free developers preview so far. Windows 8
is re-imagined to incorporate tablet functions. Its faster than Windows 7,
looks a lot like Windows Phone 7 interface. Its a bold, brave move by
Microsoft and Leo says that designers had to rethink what an operating
system is and are finally realizing that people want to use hardware
intuitively.

But Leo also is frustrated because he says that it feels like Microsoft is
trying to put a tablet experience on a desktop. Still, he also believes that
the computer as we have known it is likely dead.

Reminds me of an old unix joke

a guy with windows compares his platform to a sleekly accessorized car
model

whereupon the unix guy replies he doesn't drive

Old September 20th 11, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bug Dout

"geoff" writes:

Microsoft announced Windows 8 at their BUILD conference and over a
half million people have downloaded the free developers preview so
far. Windows 8 is re-imagined to incorporate tablet functions. Its
faster than Windows 7, looks a lot like Windows Phone 7
interface. Its a bold, brave move by Microsoft and Leo says that
designers had to rethink what an operating system is and are finally
realizing that people want to use hardware intuitively.

sigh It's also stereotypical MS: hype the hell out of some pre-alpha
product, proclaiming how cool and fantastic it is, trying for shock and
awe. That tactic worked in the past and there are plenty of competitors'
dead products on the highway to prove it, as consumers quit buying their
products, waiting instead for the MS version. Which eventually did come,
at more cost, less functionality, and buggy-as-****.

It works no more, but Ballmer doesn't know that. I think Gates did
understand that which is why he left MS...the rare individual to leave
the game at his peak.

Even if Win8 is a good product, it's too little, too late. MS will be
around a long time, hanging on, while the world leaves them behind.
--
He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is
filled with falsehoods and errors.
Old September 20th 11, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

But Leo also is frustrated because he says that it feels like Microsoft
is trying to put a tablet experience on a desktop. Still, he also
believes that the computer as we have known it is likely dead.

As usual, making unnecessary changes to force everyone to buy new stuffs?

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old September 20th 11, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , Man-wai Chang wrote:
But Leo also is frustrated because he says that it feels like Microsoft
is trying to put a tablet experience on a desktop. Still, he also
believes that the computer as we have known it is likely dead.

As usual, making unnecessary changes to force everyone to buy new stuffs?

As opposed to leaving stuff out on purpose to get you to buy the next version
and then the next version of hardware??? Thats the Apple way.

How many iPADS are going to come out before they get it right?
Old September 20th 11, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

As opposed to leaving stuff out on purpose to get you to buy the next version
and then the next version of hardware??? Thats the Apple way.

How many iPADS are going to come out before they get it right?

Isn't this approach ethically if not legally incorrect?

Old September 20th 11, 07:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

On 9/21/2011 2:01 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:
As opposed to leaving stuff out on purpose to get you to buy the next
version
and then the next version of hardware??? Thats the Apple way.

How many iPADS are going to come out before they get it right?

Isn't this approach ethically if not legally incorrect?

Anti-competitive as well?