Mobile Barton 2500 Unlocked ?

Old March 31st 04, 01:29 AM
Jim Reynolds

Default Mobile Barton 2500 Unlocked ?

Are all Mobile Barton 2500 chips unlocked. I can get an "AMD Athlon XP
2500+ (Barton) 1.88GHz 266 FSB 45WMobile" chip
for about $95 but I do not want it if it is locked. Anyone know how to
tell ?

Thanks,
jmr

Old March 31st 04, 06:19 AM
QBall

ALL mobiles are unlocked so that they can use powernow's multi-changing to
save laptop power.
They always will be.

Old March 31st 04, 07:06 AM
Michael Brown

QBall wrote:
Are all Mobile Barton 2500 chips unlocked. I can get an "AMD Athlon
XP 2500+ (Barton) 1.88GHz 266 FSB 45WMobile" chip
for about $95 but I do not want it if it is locked. Anyone know
how to tell ?

ALL mobiles are unlocked so that they can use powernow's
multi-changing to save laptop power.
They always will be.

This is a common misconception. The
normal/BIOS/L3/whatever-you-want-to-call-it multipler can be locked without
affecting PowerNow. In fact, I've commented in various places that I'm
surprised that it's NOT locked, as the chips come off the same assembly
line. The ability to change the multipliers through PowerNow is, of course,
required for all mobile chips. So you will always be able to change the
multiplier through this on mobile chips, though as soon as (or if) AMD locks
the L5/L6 bridges as well, then you'll only be able to change it to below
the default multiplier. This is the case, in the AMD64 mobiles, where there
are no bridges.

PS to the OP: the 45W mobiles are the good ones to get for overclocking, as
opposed to the (cheaper) 70W DTR chips.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more