GeForce FX 5900 vs. GeForce 5900 Ultra

Old August 20th 03, 07:41 AM
Jason

Default GeForce FX 5900 vs. GeForce 5900 Ultra

Nvidia's naming is wacky for these two. It's not very clear that they
don't make a 5900 Ultra in 128MB. Rather, the 5900 is the 128MB, and
the 5900 Ultra is the 256MB. got it.

so now - who has compared these two? i see that i can get an eVGA
5900 128MB for $300 shipped (the price just dropped about $50 in the
last week).

the 5900 Ultras are running just over $400 shipped online.

is 50MHz more clock speed and 128MB more RAM worth it the extra
$100-$125?

Mainly, I just want Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 to be kickass at 1280x1024
with AA, AF and full everything. my wallet is leaning towards the
128MB 5900..

anybody have any online comparison of the two in terms of benchmarks?

thanks..
Old August 20th 03, 08:15 AM
Ron Merts

Honestly, save your $100. The human optical system cannot detect any
differences over 80-100fps. The FX 5900 and FX 5900 Ultra produce frame
rates well above what the human senses can detect. If you want bragging
rights about having the fastest video card, get the Ultra, if you want to
save some money and still get a very good card that will give you the
results you are looking for, go with the 128Mb card. If you're just dying
to spend that extra $100, I'll give you my address and you can send it to me

Ron

om...

Old August 20th 03, 11:18 AM
Carchadon

I have a FX5800Ultra (OK OK stop the slagging) and it is awesome - a bit
noisy but that is easily drowned out by the speakers and careful base unit
positioning...I understyand the FX5900Ultra does not suffer as much from
this.

My card is of course slower generally than the 5900 but I can tell you
that I run all my games 1152x864 (only have a 17" monitor) with max
quality settings, 8x AA, Max Anisio, Max Mipmap Quality etc etc. and it is
smooth as silk to my eye including one recent game - Eve Online Second
Genesis which is a rare DX9 game - If both these cards are faster than
mine then you really dont have to worry about paying an extra 100
bucks......

Old August 20th 03, 04:06 PM
loonym

"Ron Merts" wrote in message
: Honestly, save your $100. The human optical system cannot
detect any
: differences over 80-100fps. The FX 5900 and FX 5900 Ultra
produce frame
: rates well above what the human senses can detect. If you want
bragging
: rights about having the fastest video card, get the Ultra, if
you want to
: save some money and still get a very good card that will give
you the
: results you are looking for, go with the 128Mb card. If you're
just dying
: to spend that extra $100, I'll give you my address and you can
send it to me
:
:
: Ron

As game and 3d rendering graphics become progressively more
complex it's not rare these days to see frame rates in certain
situations drop well below those you have stated. Advice to the
op, get the best you can afford.

:
: om...

Old August 21st 03, 01:56 AM
Richard Dower

"First of One" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Wait until HL2 or Doom III comes out, buy the 5900 Ultra, save your

$100...

But at that stage the NV40 will be ready to roll out...i guess there is
never a good time to buy.

Old August 21st 03, 02:07 PM
YanquiDawg

Now you're starting to understand. I've been putting off buying for 6 months. I
finally did it it last week. I had the money before annd needed it for
something else,couldn't buy.This time when the 5900 went to $299 I bought.
Just get the best you can afford if you need a video card. It was kinda iffy
for me. But,My XP 2000+ and GF 3 classic have been choking a little. The 5900
looks to be about twice the performance.