tv-out under linux?

Old August 18th 03, 08:10 PM
Björn Lundberg

Default tv-out under linux?

Hi,

Does anyone know of ANY video-card that is capable of delivering a
TV-output when playing a video-file (DivX) under Linux?

It should be of the type that ATI calls 'Theater mode' under windows,
i.e. duplicating the video-overlay from the screen to the TV-output but
otherwise not copying the desktop to the TV.

Best regards

Bjorn

Old August 19th 03, 02:29 AM
Vampire at Wicked Empire

Björn Lundberg wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of ANY video-card that is capable of delivering a
TV-output when playing a video-file (DivX) under Linux?

It should be of the type that ATI calls 'Theater mode' under windows,
i.e. duplicating the video-overlay from the screen to the TV-output but
otherwise not copying the desktop to the TV.

Best regards

Bjorn

I use nVidia TV-OUT. I use Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone".

You can set screen to 640x480(xvidtune) and put the playing window at (0,0).

http://fftv.sourceforge.net/Setup_X1...4l_tv-out.html

--
My projects:
http://tcron.sourceforge.net

Old August 19th 03, 05:04 AM

In article ,
Vampire at Wicked Empire wrote:
Björn Lundberg wrote:

I use nVidia TV-OUT. I use Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone".

You can set screen to 640x480(xvidtune) and put the playing window at (0,0).

That does not sound like the overlay that Bjorn was referring to.

Under Windows, with ATI cards anyway, you can have both a high resolution
with the TV window being managed separately, and just the TV out,
completely independent of the desktop otherwise.

Obviously the solution to this would be to either compromise, as you
suggest, or "just use windows."

Old August 19th 03, 06:01 AM
Vampire at Wicked Empire

Björn Lundberg wrote:

I use nVidia TV-OUT. I use Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone".

You can set screen to 640x480(xvidtune) and put the playing window at (0,0).

That does not sound like the overlay that Bjorn was referring to.

Under Windows, with ATI cards anyway, you can have both a high resolution
with the TV window being managed separately, and just the TV out,
completely independent of the desktop otherwise.

Obviously the solution to this would be to either compromise, as you
suggest, or "just use windows."

There are several TV-output options for nVidia drivers.
You can also use the monitor and TV-out as a single large screen.
You can also specify the postion of tv-output on the
left/right/bottom/top of the monitor. You can put the window of video
player at the tv-out region not visible to the desktop.

You can also
(app-r) APPENDIX R: CONFIGURING MULTIPLE X SCREENS ON ONE CARD

I think 'Clone' is more useful to me.

I can open the monitor at 1280x1024 and tv-out at 640x480.
The tv-out displays the window at (0,0) (no picture shrinking,
only partial 640x480).

I can press control-alt-+ to switch the monitor to 640x480.
Now the contents of montior and tv-out are the same. I can pan the
tv-out with mouse with a desktop size of 1280x1024. It is useful to
display photos and html page on the TV.