Noisy start - Geforce fan screams at startup IT Depot Carlton Victoria Melbourne Australia

Old August 16th 03, 06:08 PM
Jerome Morrow

Default Noisy start - Geforce fan screams at startup IT Depot Carlton Victoria Melbourne Australia

Hi,

Wondering whether some of you can help? I have an ASUS Geforce4Ti4800 card;
replacing a gf2mx on a perfectly working PIII800 system 500mbRAM, ASUS
motherboard, etc.

When I first turn on my computer in the morning (or after the computer has
been switched off for over 50 minutes) - the ASUS Geforce4Ti fan howls like
crazy for a few minutes. It sounds like a motorcycle engine being revved at
6000rpm without oil.

It quietens down after awhile - I checked and the fan is still working.

I returned it to the shop IT Depot, Carlton, Victoria and they sent it back
to ASUS Australia to get it fixed - they (claimed to have) replaced the fan.

I fixed it back to the computer - but the problem is still there. I
contacted ASUS when the problem first occured but they have NOT replied
back.

The fan doesn't scream or howl if the computer has only been turned off for
5 - 15 minutes or so though.

Is there a problem?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

JM

--
___________________________________
Chopin: Etude for piano No. 3 in E major ('Tristesse' / 'L'intimité') Op.

Old August 16th 03, 06:48 PM
BEK

I had this same problem with a Geforce3 TI500. The howling sound happened
every morning on bootup and gradually the duration of the sound got longer
and longer. This went on for a period of months and then began happening
intermittantly throughout the day. That's when I got in touch with Dell
support and they sent me out a new card (GeForce4 TI4600) as a replacement.
My computer was purchased in January 2002 and covered under extended
warranty.

BEK

Old August 16th 03, 06:55 PM
BEK

Same here.....card functioned perfectly.

"Jerome Morrow" wrote in message
I should add that during operations the card seems to be working

perfectly.

The card was tested out on the computer shop's computer too - the problem
only manifested itself when I turned off his computer for over 30

minutes -
the shop assistant went to talk to another customer who wanted to buy
something.

Old August 16th 03, 07:12 PM
Jerome Morrow

Hello BEK,

Your card was working fine - right? So was it a fan problem? And did the
problem occur in the new card?

Thank you!

JM

Old August 18th 03, 02:29 AM
Jerome Morrow

Ah bugger. I called up the shop - IT Depot Melbourne Australia 508 Swanston
Street - but all they said they could do for me was to take the card back
and send it back to the supplier for repair (again).

That's just great - another month without the card. By the time I get the
card back, I'd probably need a FX card.