driver problem with GeForce4 MX440 (Win98se)

Old August 7th 03, 10:01 PM
pehache

Default driver problem with GeForce4 MX440 (Win98se)

Hello,

I just installed W98se on my computer as a secondary OS to run a few old
softwares (the main OS being XP).

The first thing I did then was to install the up-to-date driver for the
videocard, which is a GeForce4 440MX. The driver version is 44.03,
downloaded from the NVidia site.

It installed fine, but however I cannot change the Display resolution and
number of colors: if I put anything different from the VGA parameters
(640x400-16colors), then after rebooting I have an error messages that tells
that the display parameters are not correct for this card or that is not the
right card, and I have no other choice than reverting to VGA.

In contrast, under XP everything is OK (still with the 44.03 driver).

Any idea ?

Many thanks in advance,

--
Pehache
URL:http://pehache.free.fr/

Old August 7th 03, 10:26 PM
Hamman

"pehache" wrote in message
[...]

What possible program do you need 98 for, which XP compatability mode can't
accomidate?

Old August 7th 03, 11:01 PM
Dave

"Hamman" o.uk wrote in
message ...

"pehache" wrote in message
Hello,

I just installed W98se on my computer as a secondary OS to run a few old
softwares (the main OS being XP).

The first thing I did then was to install the up-to-date driver for the
videocard, which is a GeForce4 440MX. The driver version is 44.03,
downloaded from the NVidia site.

I seriously do not recommend this driver set. At all. If you really want to
know why, I'll be all too happy to tell you. If you're using 98SE, first
extract the Nvidia video drivers (I prefer the 40.72 for older cards due to
the lack of Macrovision confusion) to a convenient location. Then uninstall
the driver set from the add/remove applet. Don't reboot yet. Install your
mobo chipset drivers (whatever they are, be they VIA Hyperion, SiS, ALi, or
Nforce preferably 2.03 or 2.05). Install DX9a redistributable (not 9b), or
at least DX8.1. Then reboot in safe mode, and go to Device Manager and
delete all monitors and video adapters. Upon restart, the hardware wizard
will ask you for drivers for your card, point it to the appropriate
directory. It should find the card. Restart, and you should be out of VGA
mode. Then set up your monitor with the manufacturer's proper .inf file.
Any problems beyond this, it's Registry Editing Time. Yay!

Here is the rundown:

Repeat video driver uninstall process (no need for the rest, really), reboot
in safe mode, only while you're in safe mode this time, go to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Display : Delete
all keys under "Display". Not the "Display" key itself, mind you...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Monitor : Ditto.

Then reboot and reinstall the video drivers manually, as before.

HTH...

It installed fine, but however I cannot change the Display resolution

and
number of colors: if I put anything different from the VGA parameters
(640x400-16colors), then after rebooting I have an error messages that

tells
that the display parameters are not correct for this card or that is not

the
right card, and I have no other choice than reverting to VGA.

In contrast, under XP everything is OK (still with the 44.03 driver).

Any idea ?

Many thanks in advance,

--
Pehache
URL:http://pehache.free.fr/

What possible program do you need 98 for, which XP compatability mode

can't
accomidate?

Who cares? XP is still a bloated pig that rapes your private areas with
impunity. Only reason I even boot to XP Pro (XP Home is cack) at all,
really, is the fact I get to fix boxes with XP installed (well, I can't
honestly say I hate it as much as it appears, but it has its moments...).
Ten pounds of ****e in a five-pound bag. A conniving beyatch with a pretty
face. I still prefer W2k for work and 98SE for play. YMMV...

Old August 8th 03, 10:28 PM
pehache

"dino" wrote in message

try to uninstall and then re-install...might just be a glitch...

Unfortunatly not. I reinstalled W98se+drivers 3 times :-(

--
Pehache
URL:http://pehache.free.fr/

Old August 8th 03, 11:12 PM
pehache

"Shep©" wrote in message

http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
and use the 30.82 drivers in win98 :O)

I have actually W98SE. Should the 30.82 be prefered to the 40.72 as well ?

--
Pehache
URL:http://pehache.free.fr/

Old August 14th 03, 09:49 PM
pehache

"pehache" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...
[...]

Finally I've found the origin of the problem: I have too much memory (1GB)
for Win98, and this is known to be a potential reason for crashes,
particularly with AGP cards. The problem and its fix are described in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Now it works (almost) correctly.

--
Pehache
URL:http://pehache.free.fr/

Old August 17th 03, 12:03 AM
Shep©

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:49:58 +0200, In this world we created "pehache"
wrote :

"pehache" a écrit dans le
[...]

This will work better,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/easy.html