Is this true about ASUS?

Old July 22nd 04, 01:12 AM
XS11E

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
However if you don't need Linux's power then it would be
silly to use Linux + Win4Lin, you should just stick with XP.

You're probably right, I'll very likely end my Linux experiment soon.

Old July 22nd 04, 01:48 AM
Post Replies Here Please

"Hellmark" == Hellmark writes:

Hellmark Post Replies Here Please's last words before the Sword of
Hellmark Azrial plunged through his body we
What is wrong with top posting? If the article is very long top
posting is better when the posting comes up in google search
engine. You have to hit another button to read the post for very
long posts. So with very long articles if you have a short reponse
top posting is actually better in my opinion. Whatever. I guess we
should all vote for the same person also.

Hellmark the entire idea is that you're not supposed to let the
Hellmark quoted text become unrulely. If you have a short response,
Hellmark quote only the valid part, as I just did.

Works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I wish one rule could handle
all situations. For extremely long posts that are not reduced in size
bottom posting is a pain, especially when using the search engine at
google for groups.

Whatever to each his/her own!

Good luck,

Alan

Old July 22nd 04, 02:00 AM
Hellmark

Post Replies Here Please's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
through his body we
Works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I wish one rule could handle
all situations. For extremely long posts that are not reduced in size
bottom posting is a pain, especially when using the search engine at
google for groups.

Well, thats why most people who bottom post trim.
Old July 22nd 04, 03:24 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:12:17 -0700, XS11E wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
However if you don't need Linux's power then it would be
silly to use Linux + Win4Lin, you should just stick with XP.

You're probably right, I'll very likely end my Linux experiment soon.

It wasn't my intention to discourage you from using Linux I was only
pointing out that for the typical non-techno savvy user there wasn't a
compelling reason to switch. However for someone who is willing to put in
some work and isn't afraid of technology it offers a much more rewarding
experience than Windows. It's infinitely flexible in a way that Windows
can never be so you can adapt it to your workstyle. The major
distributions come with thousands of applications so you have the chance
to try out all sorts of things. It's constantly improving at a rate that
far exceeds anything that you are like to see from the Microsoft. And you
are free to do with it what you want, putting it on as many machines as
you want, putting multiple distributions on the same machine so you can
try them all out. To sum up, Linux's strengths are also it's weaknesses.
For the hacker personality type who wants to have complete control over
his computing environment and who wants the latest and greatest
everything, Linux is a dream. For the non-technical user who gets easily
confused, Linux would be a nightmare.
Old July 22nd 04, 02:22 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"Hellmark" == Hellmark writes:

Hellmark Post Replies Here Please's last words before the Sword of
Hellmark Azrial plunged through his body we
Works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I wish one rule could
handle all situations. For extremely long posts that are not
reduced in size bottom posting is a pain, especially when using
the search engine at google for groups.

Hellmark Well, thats why most people who bottom post trim.

Good to hear that! Makes good sense! Now if that would only happen
;-)).

Later

Old July 22nd 04, 02:23 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"General" == General Schvantzkoph writes:

General On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:12:17 -0700, XS11E wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
However if you don't need Linux's power then it would be silly to
use Linux + Win4Lin, you should just stick with XP.

You're probably right, I'll very likely end my Linux experiment
soon.

General It wasn't my intention to discourage you from using Linux I
General was only pointing out that for the typical non-techno savvy
General user there wasn't a compelling reason to switch. However for
General someone who is willing to put in some work and isn't afraid
General of technology it offers a much more rewarding experience
General than Windows. It's infinitely flexible in a way that Windows
General can never be so you can adapt it to your workstyle. The
General major distributions come with thousands of applications so
General you have the chance to try out all sorts of things. It's
General constantly improving at a rate that far exceeds anything
General that you are like to see from the Microsoft. And you are
General free to do with it what you want, putting it on as many
General machines as you want, putting multiple distributions on the
General same machine so you can try them all out. To sum up, Linux's
General strengths are also it's weaknesses. For the hacker
General personality type who wants to have complete control over his
General computing environment and who wants the latest and greatest
General everything, Linux is a dream. For the non-technical user who
General gets easily confused, Linux would be a nightmare.

My two cents here. For the non-technical user who get easily confused,
any OS could be a nightmare!

Whatever

Old July 22nd 04, 02:27 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"GW" == GW De Lacey georgew (@) dnet.aunz.com Unbracket @ to reply writes:

GW On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:40:24 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
Ed Light's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
his body we
"Net Resident" wrote
#1 Learn how to post on Usenet by not top posting.
That's a debated issue. Personally I prefer top posts when they
don't have to answer a specific sentence of paragraph.

I inline/bottom post. That way, if someone doesnt get the previous
posts (which happens on usenet), they can still have an idea of
whats going on, plus I can coment on each individual part I want
to. I dont have to lump all my things together

GW Good boy...

GW -- GW

GW A. Top posters. Q. What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

I disagree the most annoying thing on Usenet is still spam posts, and
cross posting. These are my top two. It still amazes me how many
folks cross post! I have to admit for some reason the spam at least
from my usenet server is decreasing.

Whatever - another endless debate. Remember that is my opinion so
don't brother to correct it ;-)).

Thanks!

Old July 22nd 04, 04:40 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:23:40 -0500, Post Replies Here Please wrote:

My two cents here. For the non-technical user who get easily confused,
any OS could be a nightmare!

Whatever

I haven't used a Mac recently so I don't know if it's still true but the
original Mac was genuinely easy for anyone to use. The Mac philosphy is
the polar opposite of Linux, i.e Linux offers a tremendous variety of
choices at every level from the kernel up, the Mac offered a single
"right way" of doing everything. The downside of Linux is that
everything requires some fiddling to get to work, the downside
of the pre-OSX Mac was that there was no easy way to add
functionality if it was missing, things are either easy or impossible with
no middle ground. Everything on the Mac was truely plug and play in a way
that Windows has never achieved. If you installed a program or plugged in
a card it just worked. The user interface followed strict guidelines so
everything was absolutely consistant so that once you learned how to do
anything you could pretty much do anything.
Old July 22nd 04, 06:27 PM
Hellmark

"Hellmark" == Hellmark writes:

Hellmark Post Replies Here Please's last words before the Sword of
Hellmark Azrial plunged through his body we
Works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I wish one rule could
handle all situations. For extremely long posts that are not
reduced in size bottom posting is a pain, especially when using
the search engine at google for groups.

Hellmark Well, thats why most people who bottom post trim.
Good to hear that! Makes good sense! Now if that would only happen
;-)).

Thats why we have to beat the wrong doers into submission!
Old July 22nd 04, 07:15 PM
XS11E

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:12:17 -0700, XS11E wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
However if you don't need Linux's power then it would be silly
to use Linux + Win4Lin, you should just stick with XP.

You're probably right, I'll very likely end my Linux experiment
soon.

It wasn't my intention to discourage you from using Linux

You didn't. I've kept the quadruple boot setup (Mandrake is one of 4
OSs I have) and boot into Linux from time to time to learn more about
it but I've not really had time to learn as much about it as I need to.

I was only pointing out that for the typical non-techno savvy user
there wasn't a compelling reason to switch. However for someone who
is willing to put in some work and isn't afraid of technology it
offers a much more rewarding experience than Windows.

That I disagree with, if something does what I need done, I'm
adequately rewarded. I don't look for rewards from using a computer,
it's something I need so I have one.

I've been at it since 1961, I'm probably fairly comfortable with
computers but I've never considered them as anything other than a tool
to do a specific job.