AMD 64 3200 - Idling at 65 degress

Old July 13th 04, 07:24 AM
johny

85C is for 32-bit chips 2200+ and higher. Max case temp for 64-bit is 70C
(mobile chips are 95C). My HP a530n BIOS (Asus KBN8X-LA mobo) shows my
AMD 64 3200+ (2000 MHz) about 45C, which is only in upper 40's at full
load (fire.exe). It idles at 38C.
As a comparison Compaq 32-bit AMD XP 3000+ (2100 MHz) shows 65C in BIOS,
69C CPU under full load, 48C idle. But it is rated 85C case temp.

Thats not what this CPU History sheet is telling me.
http://home.comcast.net/~romanvp/cpu_history_big.gif
Its a little outdated, NewCastle is not on there yet. Socket 754,
Clawhammer, Max die temp, 85C. Even though the CPU I'm talking about is a
2800+ NewCastle, but they're not much different from the Clawhammer.

Just updated the BIOS to latest revision, it doesn't fix the problem.

How does BIOS temperature compare with temperatures you are seeing?

When I boot the PC, from cold, and go straight to BIOS, it shows CPU Temp of
68C. I don't think CPU can get that hot in 10 seconds it takes to get into
BIOS. Third party software such as MDM5, Hmonitor and Speed fan show 60C by
the time I get to windows. So, BIOS is actualy showing ~8C more than what
I'm seeing in windows.

Old July 13th 04, 07:46 AM
johny

Correction. New cpu_history_big.gif aquired. The NewCastles die temp is 70C,
you're right.
Same link http://home.comcast.net/~romanvp/cpu_history_big.gif

Old July 20th 04, 10:05 AM
HPM-Computer

Hi Jason,

I don't trust any of the thousands temperature sonsors on my motherboard
(MSI K8T-Neo). BIOS shows idle temperature of 55 C just after start. MSI
Core Center shows 48 C at idle mode (65 C at full load) and Mottherboard
Monitor 5 shows 42 C at idle (59 C at full load).

Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C and
anything below 75 should be a no-worry!

Greetings
Uwe
http://www.hpm-computer.de

"Jason" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
Hi all,

Another temperature related question. Reading back through this group
I can see there has been much discussion regarding this. Anyway I
have an AMD 64 3200 with a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard and the CPU
runs at 60-65 degrees when nothing (apart from windows) is running.
Give the CPU something to think about and it reaches 75 degrees.

My question is simple - should I be worried about these kind of
temperatures?

Kind Regards,

Jason

Old July 20th 04, 08:44 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:05:33 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

I don't trust any of the thousands temperature sonsors on my motherboard
(MSI K8T-Neo). BIOS shows idle temperature of 55 C just after start. MSI
Core Center shows 48 C at idle mode (65 C at full load) and Mottherboard
Monitor 5 shows 42 C at idle (59 C at full load).

And all these different readings are taken from the same sensor? Do you
know anything about sensor chips?

Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C
and anything below 75 should be a no-worry!

The only "fact" I can determine from this is that you really don't know
the facts..BTW, my boards cpu sensor comes off the diode setting of
sensor1 of the IT8705F chip. Now if you don't know where yours comes from,
then you don't really know if any of your temps are correct. Oh yeah, I
had to set the proper sensor in MBM. S755MAX MB.

Tcase max temp for A64 & FX is 70C.
Tdie max temp for A64 Mobile is 95C.

ref: AMD Athlon" 64 Processor Power and Thermal Data Sheet, 30430.pdf.

Old July 20th 04, 09:56 PM
HPM-Computer

What a friendly answer

"Wes Newell" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
newsan.2004.07.20.19.50.42.906025@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:05:33 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

I don't trust any of the thousands temperature sonsors on my motherboard
(MSI K8T-Neo). BIOS shows idle temperature of 55 C just after start. MSI
Core Center shows 48 C at idle mode (65 C at full load) and

Mottherboard
Monitor 5 shows 42 C at idle (59 C at full load).

And all these different readings are taken from the same sensor? Do you
know anything about sensor chips?

Yes indeed: W83697HF..and yes...I know a little bit about sensorchips...not
that it is a very interesting topic, but...

Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C
and anything below 75 should be a no-worry!

The only "fact" I can determine from this is that you really don't know
the facts..BTW, my boards cpu sensor comes off the diode setting of
sensor1 of the IT8705F chip. Now if you don't know where yours comes from,
then you don't really know if any of your temps are correct. Oh yeah, I
had to set the proper sensor in MBM. S755MAX MB.

Cool, so you know how to spot your mainboard on a list provieded by MBM5+.
That is nbot very difficult and was done by me as well. Another interesting
fact is, that you don't know anything about modern mainboards (I don't think
the Abit KT7 is a brandnew one..I think I've had a KT7 myself back in the
ol' days of manually searching for sensorchips. Fact is that the MSI K8T-Neo
does have a featured software called "Core Center" which uses, guess which,
the same ol' sensorchip than MBM5+ does when you choose the K8T-Neo FSR, the
W83697HF. The fact that I was speaking about in my first post was that MBM5+
and MSI Core Center show different temperatures although using the same
chip.

Tcase max temp for A64 & FX is 70C.
Tdie max temp for A64 Mobile is 95C.

ref: AMD Athlon" 64 Processor Power and Thermal Data Sheet, 30430.pdf.

Absolutely right...in fact that your CPU won't last longer than 5-10 seconds
with 95 C while at 85 C it is still capable of booting and shutting down.

Good luck for your overclocking experiments!

Old July 21st 04, 07:24 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:56:51 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

What a friendly answer

I'm not here to make friends or enemies. I just like to see correct
answers. You didn't provide one. That simple really.

[...]

There you go again with the wrong answer. If you check the MBM MB list,
you won't find my board listed on it (unless it's been added in the last
couple of days). It's a Jetway S755MAX. Now go look. If you had looked
first, you could have saved yourself some embarrassment. This might ****
you off, but you represent one of the main reasons I even bother with
NG's. People that come in and state crap as facts.

Another interesting fact is, that you don't know anything about modern
mainboards (I don't think the Abit KT7 is a brandnew one..I think I've
had a KT7 myself back in the ol' days of manually searching for
sensorchips. Fact is that the MSI K8T-Neo does have a featured software
called "Core Center" which uses, guess which, the same ol' sensorchip
than MBM5+ does when you choose the K8T-Neo FSR, the W83697HF. The fact
that I was speaking about in my first post was that MBM5+ and MSI Core
Center show different temperatures although using the same chip.

Why are you even mentioning the KT7. I gave those away over a year ago.
I only keep it in my sig line to show people that the KT133 chipset is not
a limiting factor in upgrading the CPU, as all the manufactures sate they
won't work with XP cpu's. I'm currently using the A64 which should have
been obvious from my previous post of the A64 MB I'm using. You really
don't pay much attention do you. As for your board, I really don't care.
it was your statement about running the A64 at up 74C was why I replied.
That's about the worst advice I've seen in here. And even though the CPU
should shut down before it gets there, I felt I had to correct that before
someone actually listened to your bad advice and left their cpu running at
extremely high temps.

Tcase max temp for A64 & FX is 70C.
Tdie max temp for A64 Mobile is 95C.

ref: AMD Athlon" 64 Processor Power and Thermal Data Sheet, 30430.pdf.

Absolutely right...in fact that your CPU won't last longer than 5-10
seconds with 95 C while at 85 C it is still capable of booting and
shutting down.

I like your perserverence. Presented with the facts you try and turn them
into your favor. But since you now seem to agree wirth this, how can you
explain telling the OP not to worry as long as his temps are under 75C. I
was going to quote it here, but it seems to have been edited out by one
of us. I may have done it myself, but don't recall. I better go find it
though.......Ok here it is.

"Fact is that I don't give a thing about CPU temperature as long as there
aren't any lockdowns or graphic arrors. AMD 64 CPUs can hold up to 85 C
and anything below 75 should be a no-worry!"

Good luck for your overclocking experiments!

I don't need luck, but thanks anyway. And to be honest, I really don't
overclock, except to test. I actually underclock more than I overclock.

Old July 21st 04, 06:50 PM
HPM-Computer

"Wes Newell" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
newsan.2004.07.21.06.31.21.631177@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:56:51 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

What a friendly answer

I'm not here to make friends or enemies. I just like to see correct
answers. You didn't provide one. That simple really.

Please stop to scary people with your naive statements. There are lots of
people out there who use the original boxed cooler by AMD without additional
cooling. It is no problem to run an Athlon64 at temperatures below 75 C.

Roger, Over and Out!

Old July 21st 04, 08:33 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:50:40 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

"Wes Newell" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
newsan.2004.07.21.06.31.21.631177@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:56:51 +0200, HPM-Computer wrote:

What a friendly answer

I'm not here to make friends or enemies. I just like to see correct
answers. You didn't provide one. That simple really.

Please stop to scary people with your naive statements. There are lots of
people out there who use the original boxed cooler by AMD without additional
cooling. It is no problem to run an Athlon64 at temperatures below 75 C.

Well, I use the boxed cooler. it's actually a pretty good cooler in
comparison to what came with the XP's. But it doesn't get anywhere close
to 75C, and if it started up towards it, it would shut itself down befor
getting there. So your statement is still wrong. 74C is below 75C and it
is a problem trying to run it there, not to mention that it would be 4C
over the max of 70C. My A64 CPU runs at about 35C idle. I don't know how
accurate the reading is but the cpu shut itself down somewhere over 60C
with the fan off. Don't recall the exact reported temp when it did, but it
was over 60c when I last looked at it when trying to get the fan to start
up. TMD fan was on it at the time. It was dead. Put the original back on,
but not before it shutdown.

Old July 22nd 04, 08:53 PM
Euchgrand

Hello, Brave New World....

Check your AMD64 core version with cpuz :
if you get a Newcastle core, then it's a known bios T°c issue : BIOS reports
T°C 20°C above real one.
If you read 65°C, real T°C is only 45°C.
Max T°C for AMD64 is 70°C (except mobile one).
IF your system is OK with 75°C, then it's this display bug : search a new
version for your bios.

Best regards

***Euchgrand***