Cooling advice URGENTLY sought!!

Old June 19th 04, 10:12 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Default Cooling advice URGENTLY sought!!

I have an FX-53 based system on an SK8V board in a CoolerMaster Wave Master
case. The HSF is a Swiftech MCX64-V with a Delta fan and the PSU is a 480W
Tagan.

The rest of the spec is as follows: -

1GB RAM
3xSATA HDs (2xRaptor in a RAID 0 array plus a WDC)
9800XT 256MB
Audigy 2 Platinum Pro XS
Plextor 708A
Samsung combi

I have a *serious* issue with overheating - and I do mean *SERIOUS*. With
the side panel on, it *IDLES* at between 60-65°C (140-149°F) and once, when
I was doing nothing more than designing a brochure in Publisher, it hit 70°C
(167°F) and locked up. I have moved all obstructions from around the HSF and
made sure everything is dust free (it's only a day old!) Is there a fault
somewhere? I was lead to believe that the motherboard had smart temperature
control - well 60-65 at idle tells me either it doesn't or it isn't working.
Is there a setting I've overlooked in the BIOS (I didn't build it)? I don't
have much spare cash to spend on any more cooling (and there isn't any room
in the case for any more fans anyway!)

I'm running it with the side off at the moment and it's stabilised at 45°C
(113°F) - but I don't want to have to do that forever! I'm hoping for an
idle temperature (with the side on) of around 35-45°C (95-113°F) and 50-55°C
(122-131°F) under load. Achievable? I don't think it's asking *too* much, do
you?!

I've RTFM and it's not exactly explicit!

How do I achieve what I consider to be the optimum running temperature?! I
will call the bloke who built it on Monday, but I thought I'd ask here
first - I know that MBM isn't known for its accuracy but, on this occasion,
it's spot on (I've checked it with the BIOS).

Can someone offer me some cooling solutions that won't empty my bank
account?!

Thanks

Old June 19th 04, 10:25 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
[...]

UPDATE: - Q-Fan /was/ disabled, but enabling it doesn't make one iota of
difference. I have put the side back on and I am watching the temperature
climb steadily (we're up to 56°C (132°F) now. HELP!!

Old June 19th 04, 10:48 PM
Chris Turner

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
[...]

disable q-fan - select auto/normal mode not turbo - I have same set up and
had sim probs - if turbo is on voltage crept up quite high and temps were 60
+. The cpu does run quite hot and should go above 70c.

Old June 19th 04, 11:26 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Chris Turner wrote:
sri - should NOT be run over 70c!!!

It locked up in Publisher at 70° - it has hit 80° twice. I'm almost too
scared to use it. I have the side off now and it's 55°.

Old June 19th 04, 11:45 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Chris Turner wrote:
[...]

I don't have anything that states "auto/normal" or "turbo". All I have is
Q-Fan either enabled or disabled. Are you /sure/ you have the same
motherboard? I've put the side back on again and it's hit 75-80 and I was
doing nothing more than typing a letter in Word, so that's practically idle!
! There is something seriously wrong here and I just want to be able to
enjoy this system - £2,000 isn't an insignificant chunk o' change for me,
and I can't use it because I'm petrified I'm going to send the £600 CPU into
meltdown! I don't know what else to do. There is airflow round all sides,
nothing is restricted. Do you have the same chassis? I can't hook up any
more fans because there simply isn't anywhere to put them.

I need suggestions. I want to put the side back on! I don't want to have to
spend any more money, but I will if I have to.

Any suggestions anyone? Please?! Save my sanity! Do you have the same HSF
combo?

Old June 20th 04, 12:19 AM
kony

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:12:24 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

I have an FX-53 based system on an SK8V board in a CoolerMaster Wave Master
case. The HSF is a Swiftech MCX64-V with a Delta fan and the PSU is a 480W
Tagan.

The rest of the spec is as follows: -

1GB RAM
3xSATA HDs (2xRaptor in a RAID 0 array plus a WDC)
9800XT 256MB
Audigy 2 Platinum Pro XS
Plextor 708A
Samsung combi

That's a nice case, but it has questionable air intake, especially for the
parts you have in it. Reduce restrictions in air intake as much as
possible, ideally it should never be over 10C higher (at full load) than
with case cover off, and even 10C would be a sub-optimal arrangement but
given the fancy design of the front there may be a limit to how much the
intake can be improved without disfiguring the case.

I have a *serious* issue with overheating - and I do mean *SERIOUS*. With
the side panel on, it *IDLES* at between 60-65°C (140-149°F) and once, when
I was doing nothing more than designing a brochure in Publisher, it hit 70°C
(167°F) and locked up. I have moved all obstructions from around the HSF and
made sure everything is dust free (it's only a day old!) Is there a fault
somewhere? I was lead to believe that the motherboard had smart temperature
control - well 60-65 at idle tells me either it doesn't or it isn't working.
Is there a setting I've overlooked in the BIOS (I didn't build it)? I don't
have much spare cash to spend on any more cooling (and there isn't any room
in the case for any more fans anyway!)

Smart temp control can only run fan at max RPM at best. See fan specs
from manufacturer and compare to motherboard RPM reading... if fan is near
it's max RPM there's nothing more the onboard fan controller can do.
Often the onboard controller does drop the voltage slightly, as is
inherant in such designs so a few more RPM might be obtained by powering
it directly from PSU connector, but that isn't much of a gain, may easily
be necessary to use a different fan among the other things I mention.

I'm running it with the side off at the moment and it's stabilised at 45°C
(113°F) - but I don't want to have to do that forever! I'm hoping for an
idle temperature (with the side on) of around 35-45°C (95-113°F) and 50-55°C
(122-131°F) under load. Achievable? I don't think it's asking *too* much, do
you?!

You want idle that's lower than temp seen with case panel off, so it would
seem necessary to do one of more of the following:

Remove heatsink, inspect base, assess thermal compound, try remounting
'sink... Could be the installer simply used poor compound, too much of it,
etc.

Inspect CPU interface. If not perfectly flat, gain will come from lapping
it, though of course the warranty is void. Often the center, most
important interface region, is lower than the outer edges. If you REALLY
don't want to lap it, and/or it looks flat enough, try applying heatsink
compound only in the middle, not on outer border, and carefully mounting
it with a lot of even pressure. You might remove heatsink then, evaluate
whether compound provided good (but ultra-thin) coverage and alter the
coverage if needed then reinstall.

How do I achieve what I consider to be the optimum running temperature?! I
will call the bloke who built it on Monday, but I thought I'd ask here
first - I know that MBM isn't known for its accuracy but, on this occasion,
it's spot on (I've checked it with the BIOS).

Can someone offer me some cooling solutions that won't empty my bank
account?!

To a certain extent, the more the parts cost the more it'll cost to cool
them, relative to same era, technology. You made no mention of ambient
room temps, but if they're over 30C you may have to resort to exotic
cooling else lower the rom temp. There might also be the option of
undervolting the CPU, provided the stability is extensively tested.

A duct on the rear fan or power supply might help reduce recirculation of
heatsink exhaust. Likely you'll have to custom fab one. It is somethint
to consider after increasing intake flow, if the temp is still too high.
Keep in mind that your desire for 35-45 isn't necessary, only to keep
CPU/system stable, which should happen if temps can be maintained at
50-60C, though both the BIOS (and motherboard monitor or other software
temp reports) are dependant on manufacturer's calibration of the temp
sensor, which may be incorrect in itself. Ultimately tests such as Prime
95's torture test might be used, particularly the large in-place FFT test,
and when you find the max stable temp, keep it at least 5C under that.

The easiest solution might be adding a fan to the side panel, perhaps
92-120mm low RPM, but again it may not be reasonable to aim for ~35C temps
unless you want to buy a high-end water cooler.
Old June 20th 04, 04:27 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:12:24 +0100, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

I have an FX-53 based system on an SK8V board in a CoolerMaster Wave Master
case. The HSF is a Swiftech MCX64-V with a Delta fan and the PSU is a 480W
Tagan.

The rest of the spec is as follows: -

How many case fans do you have and how are they oriented? If you have fans
on both sides of the case you want to be blowing air in on one side and
sucking it out on the other. Check to see if you have good airflow through
the case. It also could be as simple as not having enough fans or having
fans that are too weak. You have a lot of very hot components in that box,
you'll need to move a lot of air through it in order to cool everything
adequately.

Old June 20th 04, 04:30 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:12:24 +0100, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

I have an FX-53 based system on an SK8V board in a CoolerMaster Wave Master
case. The HSF is a Swiftech MCX64-V with a Delta fan and the PSU is a 480W
Tagan.

The rest of the spec is as follows: -

1GB RAM
3xSATA HDs (2xRaptor in a RAID 0 array plus a WDC)
9800XT 256MB
Audigy 2 Platinum Pro XS
Plextor 708A
Samsung combi

I have a *serious* issue with overheating - and I do mean *SERIOUS*. With
the side panel on, it *IDLES* at between 60-65°C (140-149°F) and once, when

I'm running it with the side off at the moment and it's stabilised at
45°C (113°F) - but I don't want to have to do that forever! I'm hoping

The problem (at least one) is obvious from the above 2 lines. Fix your
case cooling first.

Old June 20th 04, 04:33 AM
Jason Cothran

If you are running cool enough with the sides off and overheating that badly
with the sides on, it is obviously just a case of poor case cooling.