Will the AMD64 3200+ work with only an Antec 300 Watt PSU?

Old April 22nd 04, 01:30 PM
Erez Volach

"Wayne Wastier" wrote in message

"Angry American" wrote in message
Wes Newell wrote:
snip
And that old saying that you get what you pay for is just that, an old
saying. In real life, it's BS. The cost has nothing to do with the
quality of the product. This has been proven hundreds of times.

Find a cheaper PSU with these specs then ;-)

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/pro.../510/index.htm

In life it is true, you do get what you pay for. You buy a second rate
motherboard..it may have the same features as a top of the line, but

what
quality are the components? I would rather build on rock, not on sand.

Dan

I don't know, (scratches head) I thought it was best to build your

computer
in a computer case? Will it work building it on a rock? ) ROFLMBO

Wayne

Actually, is IS built on sand... purified, reduced and refined sand, then
oxidized, doped, etched, layered, lythogrphed, sawed, packed and packaged.

Old April 23rd 04, 03:29 AM
Angry American

Wes Newell wrote:
Snip

There's many reasons why one product might cost more than another,
but in todays world it usually doesn't have a thing to do with
quality. When you buy name brand, you hope you get quality, it could
be you're just paying for overhead cost of advertising, higher labor
rates to produce the product, etc. Price and name have nothing to do
with quality of a product any longer. That's 20 years or more in the
past. Todays name brand companies are after the bottom line. Smart
advertising can get them that, much like the $100 Athletic shoes that
only cost $2 to make in china. But hey, Tiger, Michael, Magic, and
the other athletes sure like your money.:-)

I agree that there is always an exception to any rule. My point isn't
necessarily that price dictates quality, but in the example I posted, it
does. I don't know of any PSU manufacture that makes a PSU as good or as
clean as those. Same goes for MB's. Intel makes their own boards, they are a
bit pricier than those made by Asus and the like, and for the most part they
use better components. I will not buy cheap, and never suggest that anyone
do. I suggest that people do a bit of research, and buy quality. You have a
better chance of getting the performance and reliability this way, hence a
longer lasting system. Same goes for a car, a Yugo will get me the same
places that a Mercedes. But which car will still be running reliably in 10
years? More than likely the Mercedes. The initial cost is outweighed by the
fact that you do not have to buy another throw away car in 3 to 5 years.

So saying Wes and his cheapass PSU isn't personal in your books.
Hmmm... OK.

If that is the way it came accross, then I appologize.

Dan

Old April 23rd 04, 03:30 AM
Angry American

Erez Volach wrote:
snip

Actually, is IS built on sand... purified, reduced and refined sand,
then oxidized, doped, etched, layered, lythogrphed, sawed, packed and
packaged.

I knew someone was gonna say this as soon as I hit send G

Dan

Old April 23rd 04, 06:24 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:29:22 -0500, Angry American wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]

Well, I'll take your word for it since I'm not going to waste my time
trying to find a better one. And at almost $200 each, I dodn't think many
really care.
Same goes for MB's. Intel makes their own boards, they are a
bit pricier than those made by Asus and the like, and for the most part
they use better components. I will not buy cheap, and never suggest that
anyone do. I suggest that people do a bit of research, and buy quality.

You can still get quality for a cheap price, and I've seen as many Intel
boards go bad as any of the rest. In todays world MB makers pretty much
all use the same components. QC may or may not be better depending on
who's working when the board you buy passes though it, etc. Besides, Intel
doesn't make AMD boards.

You have a better chance of getting the performance and reliability this
way, hence a longer lasting system. Same goes for a car, a Yugo will get
me the same places that a Mercedes. But which car will still be running
reliably in 10 years? More than likely the Mercedes. The initial cost is
outweighed by the fact that you do not have to buy another throw away
car in 3 to 5 years.

Again I'll disagree. The only reason an expensive car normally sees longer
life than a cheap car is because of the people that buy, operate, and
maintain them. Expensive autos are usually bought by people that can
afford to properly maintain a vehicle (IOW's older people). It's
appreciated more and because of the cost, not pushed as hard as some of
the cheaper autos. A friend of mine has an old Nissan pickup with over
500,000 miles on it now. But I'll admit that's not the norm for cheap
cars, but not because of quality, but because of percieved value. IOW's
why speed $1000 to repair a 5 year old cheap car that has a resale value
of no more than that, while an expensive 5 year old car may still have a
resale value of $10,000 or more. So no, it's not that they are any better,
it's only economics. And what happens with the cheap car? Well, it's sold
to someone for 1K that can't afford to maintain it, so guess why it dies
a premature death. Properly maintained and they will last about the same
as any expensive auto.

Old April 23rd 04, 03:22 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"Wes" == Wes Newell writes:

Wes Again I'll disagree. The only reason an expensive car normally
Wes sees longer life than a cheap car is because of the people that
Wes buy, operate, and maintain them. Expensive autos are usually
Wes bought by people that can afford to properly maintain a vehicle
Wes (IOW's older people). It's appreciated more and because of the
Wes cost, not pushed as hard as some of the cheaper autos. A friend
Wes of mine has an old Nissan pickup with over 500,000 miles on it
Wes now. But I'll admit that's not the norm for cheap cars, but not
Wes because of quality, but because of percieved value. IOW's why
Wes speed $1000 to repair a 5 year old cheap car that has a resale
Wes value of no more than that, while an expensive 5 year old car
Wes may still have a resale value of $10,000 or more. So no, it's
Wes not that they are any better, it's only economics. And what
Wes happens with the cheap car? Well, it's sold to someone for 1K
Wes that can't afford to maintain it, so guess why it dies a
Wes premature death. Properly maintained and they will last about
Wes the same as any expensive auto.

I usually stay away from stuff like this but I concur with the above
100%. I will add one other point, car companies usually stop making
parts for cheaper cars for the same reasons as above. This creates a
cycle that lowers the value of the car even more. In Cuba where there
is an embargo folks keep their cars for a long time, and keep them
running. It is all a matter of economics and behavior. In the US most
folks put up with a car note or lease for life ;-)).

Whatever.
Old April 23rd 04, 08:43 PM
Angry American

Wes Newell wrote:
Ok.....I give. I agree to disagree. We both have valid points, and we both
shall remain on opposite sides of the fence G

Dan

Old April 29th 04, 03:08 AM
Ed Light

The cheapos can blow taking all your stuff with them. If the fan in the psu
stops you may not notice it at first. Also check in the bios that the
voltages are ok and not fluctuating much.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\