Temp of Athlon64 3000+ in ASUS A8N-E

Old July 16th 05, 05:11 PM
John Saunders

Default Temp of Athlon64 3000+ in ASUS A8N-E

Hi,

I just purchased an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core and it is
running in an ASUS A8N-E with the boxed cooler installed.
ASUS Probe gives me a CPU temp of 28C (ambient is 17C).
The "MB temp" is reported as 31C which is higher than the
CPU! This is without CnQ, the CPU is operating at full
spec. A 15 minute run of Prime95 heats the CPU up to 35C.

Is what I am seeing normal, or is the ASUS temp sensor
screwed?!?

I have confirmed the reading in the BIOS, SpeedFan and
AIDA32. The sensor is an IT8712F FWIW.

Thanks.

Old July 16th 05, 08:25 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:11:01 -0500, John Saunders wrote:

I just purchased an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core and it is
running in an ASUS A8N-E with the boxed cooler installed.
ASUS Probe gives me a CPU temp of 28C (ambient is 17C).
The "MB temp" is reported as 31C which is higher than the
CPU! This is without CnQ, the CPU is operating at full
spec. A 15 minute run of Prime95 heats the CPU up to 35C.

Is what I am seeing normal, or is the ASUS temp sensor
screwed?!?

If the video card is blowing exhaust air onto the Mb sensor then it's
perfectly normal.

I have confirmed the reading in the BIOS, SpeedFan and AIDA32. The
sensor is an IT8712F FWIW.

I've got that same sensor on my board. depends on how it's implemented,
but temp1 is the cpu, temp2 is the MB, and temp3 is unused on my board
(Jetway S755MAX). temp1 reads cpu diode, and temp2 reads a resistor on the
MB, which is also right below the video card.:-)