cmos battery

Old December 25th 04, 01:33 AM
HankG

Default cmos battery

I have an old computer (a 386) which I use for some old DOS programs and
games which are balky on my XP box. It can go several months between uses;
usually when the grand kids visit.

Today, while my grandson attempted to start it, it gave back a message that
the cmos battery state was low and would not boot. I went into the setup
program, re-entered the HD information (I had recorded it previously), saved
it and tried to reboot. It would not boot and reverted to the same message
(data wasn't held).

I searched the MB looking for the battery (hoping to find an easily
replaceable disc battery) but couldn't find one. I then powered down and
unplugged the unit, hooked up my anti-static wrist strap, and removed the
data cables from the (2) floppy drives and the mother board (in order to
easily view the MB). Still no battery. I saw a Dallas Real Time Clock
chip, and after searching the web, came to realize that the chip was a
clock, cmos memory, and battery, all in one. Damn, the MB had many socketed
chips, but that sucker was soldered to the board.

Prior to this operation, the computer would attempt to boot, but stop short
and give the message. Afterward, the disks would not seek a boot sector. I
was very careful not to cause any static and did not use any metal near the
mother board. I'm wondering if the disconnections caused this (how?).

The computer is a no-name, made in China box with worthless documentation.
The RTC chips seem to be readily available, but the soldering job looks
ominous. I could do without the clock function. If only there was a way to
solder a battery (leads connected) {don't know what the voltage requirements
are}.

Should I just scrap the box and pick up an old Win 95 box to replace it?
Anyone? Any bright ideas?

HankG

Old December 25th 04, 03:29 AM
Jerry G.

This Dallas chip should be available. Ask at your local computer service
center. You will need the numbers written on it for your service supplier to
identify the exact type. You will need the service people to change it for
you, unless you are equiped to do very delicate soldering, and have the
experience to do it without making any colateral damage.

--

Greetings,

Romeo E. Albert
============

Old December 25th 04, 03:31 AM
Trent©

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:33:25 -0500, "HankG" no_one@invalid wrote:

[...]

Usually, there's a connection right near there on the mainboard where
you can hook up an external battery and connector. If your's has one,
they'll also be a jumper to change the source of the current...from
internal to external battery.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Old December 25th 04, 12:35 PM
HankG

"Jerry G." wrote in message
This Dallas chip should be available. Ask at your local computer service
center. You will need the numbers written on it for your service supplier

identify the exact type. You will need the service people to change it

for
you, unless you are equiped to do very delicate soldering, and have the
experience to do it without making any colateral damage.

I really don't want to fork over $100 to CompUSA to swap a $15 chip. Might
just give it a try.

HankG

Old December 25th 04, 12:39 PM
HankG

"Trent©" wrote in message
[...]

I should be so lucky. Check the 'documentation'. Nothing in it regarding
battery voltage. How would I go about determining that? BTW, shouldn't the
setup info I enter be retained as long as the unit is powered up? It isn't.

HankG

Old December 25th 04, 03:45 PM
Ken

HankG wrote:

"Jerry G." wrote in message

[...]

Are quite sure it is not in a socket? Many times they use one instead
of soldering it into the MB.
Old December 25th 04, 05:56 PM
kony

wrote:

[...]

Examine the board to see if there are traces leading from
the RTC to a pin-header (might be necessary to see the back
of the board). That was sometimes used to allow adding a
battery module while keeping original RTC.
Old December 26th 04, 03:14 AM
Mac Cool

HankG:

Should I just scrap the box and pick up an old Win 95 box to replace it?
Anyone? Any bright ideas?

Let me say that you have received a lot of helpful advice on how to fix
the board, but I would toss it and buy a new box. Suppose it costs $15 to
fix, I bet you can pick up a 486 for the same price or free.
--
Mac Cool
Old December 26th 04, 10:54 AM
HankG

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
HankG:

Should I just scrap the box and pick up an old Win 95 box to replace it?
Anyone? Any bright ideas?

Let me say that you have received a lot of helpful advice on how to fix
the board, but I would toss it and buy a new box. Suppose it costs $15 to
fix, I bet you can pick up a 486 for the same price or free.
--
Mac Cool

Good point. Have been looking for one.

HankG

Old December 27th 04, 03:17 AM
Mac Cool

HankG:

http://www.freecycle.org/

--
Mac Cool

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
How long will CMOS battery hold a charge Jim General 5 August 16th 04 04:27 PM
cmos battery (continued) philo General 3 May 14th 04 01:13 AM
cmos battery philo General 4 May 11th 04 12:46 PM
CMOS Battery Retainer MH General 2 January 11th 04 11:38 PM