USB PORT DAMAGED

Old September 15th 04, 03:05 AM
gummybear68

Default USB PORT DAMAGED

I have a computer that I have been working on for someone with a brand
new motherboard. Just built the computer 3 months ago. About 2 weeks
later they had turned it off and turned it back on and it would not
come on. I checked it over and over and finally noticed a USB port
socket was damaged. I took it out and sure enough the computer came
back on. Well now then they have done the same thing to the
integrated sockets on the mother board. My question: Is there a way
to fix this without getting a new motherboard? The computer will turn
on the fan will come on but the motherboard will not respond. No beep
no nothing. I have seen suggestions of taking them off with a
soieldering*sp* gun but hoping there is a better alternative. If
those are the only 2 options does anyone have some advice on how to
get the ports off? there are 2 of them one is 2 usb ports the other
is 2 usb ports and the network connector. I believe both of them to
be damaged.

Old September 15th 04, 03:27 AM
philo

gummybear68 wrote:
[...]

you might as well just remove them if they are damaged...

if it does not work...you may as well replace the mobo and charge them
for it

hopefully they will have learned something!

Old September 15th 04, 07:13 AM
Vanguardx

"gummybear68"
wrote in :
[...]

Does this "someone" understand that you unsoldering those ports means
they won't have those ports anymore (unless they have enough free slots
to use expansion cards to replace the lost ports)? Have you actually
found replacement port assemblies to replace the ones you intend to
remove? Does this "someone" also understand that you may end up ruining
their motherboard in trying to unsolder not only the connector leads to
the motherboard but the higher heat to unsolder the mounting tangs? Are
the dual-USB and dual-USB-with-NIC port assemblies actually separate of
the other ports, or are they part of an integrated I/O backpanel?

Are you charging this "someone" for your time and parts? If so,
wouldn't it be cheaper or, at least, less risky for them to get a
replacement motherboard? After all, they're not going to learn to
handle their equipment with better care if you cover their butts for
them (pain is an excellent teacher).

Old September 15th 04, 11:35 AM
kony

On 14 Sep 2004 22:05:55 -0400,
lid (gummybear68) wrote:

[...]

Check the board to see if there's a 5V vs. 5VSB jumper on
the board. If there is, removing the jumper may remove
power to the ports. Also disabling the USB controller, you
might find the board then runs and all you'd need do is add
a PCI USB card, not desoldering anything.

It is possible to desolder, or use a heat gun and shield
surrounding area, but it's a lot of work if you can just
find a suitable replacement board cheap. If you can use a
multimeter to determine which signals or power are shorted,
you might also remove a fuse or cut the lines somewhere,
again not having to remove the physical port socket.

More difficult and time-consuming but still an option would
be removing old port, sourcing new replacement port. If you
just wanted to do this as an exercise it can be done, but
again a PCI card is the easier solution.
Old September 16th 04, 11:06 AM
do_not_spam_me

lid (gummybear68) wrote in message ...

I have a computer that I have been working on for someone with a brand
new motherboard. Just built the computer 3 months ago. About 2 weeks
later they had turned it off and turned it back on and it would not
come on. I checked it over and over and finally noticed a USB port
socket was damaged. I took it out and sure enough the computer came
back on. Well now then they have done the same thing to the
integrated sockets on the mother board. My question: Is there a way
to fix this without getting a new motherboard? The computer will turn
on the fan will come on but the motherboard will not respond. No beep
no nothing. I have seen suggestions of taking them off with a
soieldering*sp* gun but hoping there is a better alternative.

Removing the USB sockets won't restore motherboard operation unless
the sockets are somehow so mangled that they're shorted. But people
who manage to break so many sockets should probably not use the
motherboard's own USB sockets and instead should buy a PCI USB 2.0
card

You do not want to use a soldering gun on a motherboard. A soldering
iron is much safer, but 40-50W is needed for 4-layer circuit boards
because of all the heat absorbed by the power and ground plane layers.
Using a regular heat gun can be tricky and can easily cause a
foul-smelling fire to break out (practice on an unneeded board --
outdoors).

Desoldering can be done by suction or with copper braid that drinks up
solder. If you know an electronics repair technician, try to borrow
his desoldering iron equipped with an electric vacuum pump because
it's by far the most convenient and least-damaging tool. Radio Shack
has a $15 desoldering iron, but it's not nearly as good (hint: clean
tip frequently by poking a wire into its suction hole), although it's
far better than suction bulbs or suction plungers. Copper desoldering
braid usually works better. The best size is about 0.08" wide, and it
should be cut off after each pin is desoldered (cut about 0.5") to
prevent the used braid from acting as a heatsink. First practice any
desoldering on a junked 4-layer board, and wiggle each pin to break it
free of any remaining traces of solder (if one won't break free, add
new solder and desolder it all over).

It's possible the USB port's power protection chip has failed because
of a large surge of voltage or current, despite the fact it's designed
to be protected against this. This chip may be a 3526, an 8-pin
device.
Old September 16th 04, 08:08 PM
Vanguardx

"do_not_spam_me"
wrote in m:

Removing the USB sockets won't restore motherboard operation unless
the sockets are somehow so mangled that they're shorted. But people
who manage to break so many sockets should probably not use the
motherboard's own USB sockets and instead should buy a PCI USB 2.0
card

Actually I was thinking the OP needs to get their destructive fingers
away from the system unit entirely. Attach a USB hub and let them
destroy that and then just get another USB hub. I can just imagine the
damage already done to the CD-ROM tray and floppy drive by these
computer huns, and wonder if the power button still works or if they
have to yank the power cord now.

You do not want to use a soldering gun on a motherboard. A soldering
iron is much safer, but 40-50W is needed for 4-layer circuit boards
because of all the heat absorbed by the power and ground plane layers.
Using a regular heat gun can be tricky and can easily cause a
foul-smelling fire to break out (practice on an unneeded board --
outdoors).

Soldering "guns" also use electricity through the tip which can also go
into the circuitry from which you are adding or removing components.

Desoldering can be done by suction or with copper braid that drinks up
solder.

Be wary of the cheapie solder suckers. They can generate static. But
then we're assuming the OP will take the needed anti-static precautions.

snip

Old September 19th 04, 02:44 AM
do_not_spam_me

"Vanguardx" see_signature wrote in message ...
"do_not_spam_me"
wrote in m:

Removing the USB sockets won't restore motherboard operation unless
the sockets are somehow so mangled that they're shorted. But people
who manage to break so many sockets should probably not use the
motherboard's own USB sockets and instead should buy a PCI USB 2.0
card

Actually I was thinking the OP needs to get their destructive fingers
away from the system unit entirely. Attach a USB hub and let them
destroy that and then just get another USB hub. I can just imagine the
damage already done to the CD-ROM tray and floppy drive by these
computer huns, and wonder if the power button still works or if they
have to yank the power cord now.

Better yet, encourage him to install a water cooling system so he can
get electrocuted.

Be wary of the cheapie solder suckers. They can generate static. But
then we're assuming the OP will take the needed anti-static precautions.

I wouldn't dare recommend a solder sucker for any fine circuit board
because they always always cause in damage to the copper, and
desoldering braid is both safer for the board and extracts the solder
much better.

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
When the PS/2 port is not used, an ATA100 (primary) drive is not recognized S. Lipson General 0 July 25th 04 12:30 PM
Got a bad USB port. How to fix? *Vanguard* General 5 February 21st 04 11:43 AM
Printer port not being detected by mother board [email protected] General 1 February 7th 04 01:31 AM
which ip port ? kony General 0 December 19th 03 02:56 PM