Damaged HD. Read data.

Old September 3rd 04, 04:22 PM
Sergio

Default Damaged HD. Read data.

Hi.
I've got two HD in my PC, and I'm afraid one of them is phisically damaged.
It's a 120GB Seagate, and it has 2 partitions (NTFS and FAT32).

When the computer tries to read info from this HD, it slows down, the screen
gets freezed and even the mouse pointer freezes. I have to reset the PC when
this happens, since I even cannot kill the reader procces. (It gets 100%
hanged)
I've tried to fix the HD with CHKDSK, but after telling me it can't read
some sectors of the HD, It gets frozen and I have to reset.
I've also tried to savethe data ofthe HD by copying it to another HD. I've
tried to do it on Linux and WXP, but in both cases, it gets always frozen.
It also tell me CRC errors sometimes.

Finally, i've chosen to unplug the HD from the computer in order to be able
to work with the PC, but I NEED to recover the healthy data from the HD.

I think I need some kind of software wich can read from the HD without
getting hung. Perhaps some kind of soft that smartly read the HD and skip
damaged archives...
Can anyone help me with this?? O have another solution??

Thanks and regards.

Old September 3rd 04, 06:15 PM
Bill Marcum

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.comp.linux.]
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:22:16 +0200, Sergio
wrote:
[...]

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb conv=noerror,sync
It may take a long time if it works. If it doesn't, call a data
recovery firm.

--
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests? (Think about it)
Old September 3rd 04, 07:45 PM
Hamman

"Sergio" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a mechanical failiure.

If the dats is CRITICAL, call a data recovery company. This isnt cheap.

If it isnt, and only if you can afford to lose the contents, stick the drive
in your freezer for a few mins then plug the drive into the PC + power on as
soon as possible. Should buy you enough time to get the information off the
drive.

hamman

Old September 3rd 04, 11:47 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Sergio" wrote in message
Hi.
I've got two HD in my PC, and I'm afraid one of them is phisically damaged.
It's a 120GB Seagate, and it has 2 partitions (NTFS and FAT32).

When the computer tries to read info from this HD, it slows down, the screen
gets freezed and even the mouse pointer freezes. I have to reset the PC when
this happens, since I even cannot kill the reader procces. (It gets 100% hanged)
I've tried to fix the HD with CHKDSK, but after telling me it can't read
some sectors of the HD, It gets frozen and I have to reset.
I've also tried to savethe data ofthe HD by copying it to another HD. I've
tried to do it on Linux and WXP, but in both cases, it gets always frozen.

This usually is indicative of bad sectors occurring and retries shutting you out.

It also tell me CRC errors sometimes.

But it may be a problem on the IDE bus instead, giving the same symptoms.

Finally, i've chosen to unplug the HD from the computer in order to be able
to work with the PC, but I NEED to recover the healthy data from the HD.

That's only possible if you repair the problem and then you actually don't have
a need to recovery anymore.

I think I need some kind of software wich can read from the HD without
getting hung.

If it is the interface then maybe you can circumvent the problem by
going to a lower interface speed. See if you can disable DMA mode.

Perhaps some kind of soft that smartly read the HD and skip
damaged archives...

It's not that.

Old September 4th 04, 07:43 AM
Odie Ferrous

Sergio wrote:

[...]

Sergio,

If you continue to be stuck, please contact me via my website.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Old September 4th 04, 08:40 AM
baskitcaise

Sergio adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to write:

I think I need some kind of software wich can read from the HD without
getting hung. Perhaps some kind of soft that smartly read the HD and
skip damaged archives...
Can anyone help me with this?? O have another solution??

Just done the same thing with a failing drive that had a shed load of
bad sectors, I used UBCD:-

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

Absolutely brilliant collection of disk tools and stuff, never without
mine now when doing house calls, has a clone CD tool that did not bork
on the hard-drive I copied, just skipped the bad sectors, I managed to
get 95% of the data off onto a new drive.

Just connect 2 drives and boot from the CD and follow the menus, might
not work for you but is well worth the d/load.

HTH

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!