strange NEC CD-RW drive problem

Old July 31st 04, 11:52 PM
Mike Holder

Default strange NEC CD-RW drive problem

I've started having a problem with my NEC NR-7700A CD-RW drive
on my 2+ year old Gateway machine. If I do a power up (cold
reboot), the activity LED on the drive blinks constantly, the BIOS
(American Megatrends) doesn't recognize the drive properly,
and consequently, Windows XP (or Linux) won't recognize the
drive exists. If I do a restart (warm boot), the BIOS recognizes
the CD-RW drive properly and consequently the drive can be used
from WinXP (or Linux).

I fiddled with the BIOS setup so it displays info on the various
IDE devices (including 2 hard drives). When the failure occurs
(cold reboot), the drive is identified as "2.0 NEC CDROM
DRIVE: IDE". When it works (warm reboot), the drive is identified
as "1.23 _NEC NR-7700A", which apparently makes WinXP (and Linux)
happy. (The 1.23 seems to correspond to the firmware verion on
the drive.)

Anybody seen anything like this before? This appears to be to
be a problem with the CD-RW drive, but could conceivably be something
with the motherboard (or even the IDE cable, I suppose). This
machine is still under warranty, but in talking to the Gateway
tech support folks, they aren't sure whether it's the drive or the
motherboard, so they want me to ship the tower to their service
center in Texas to be diagnosed (and presumably fixed). However,
it'll cost $50+ to ship it and I'll be missing my computer for
3-4 weeks, so I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Holder

Old August 1st 04, 12:30 AM
Grinder

Mike Holder wrote:

[...]

They're probably counting on that. Be firm with them. Explain that you
computer is vital to you, and that they need to send out a replacement
CD-RW which you will install. This may well fix the problem, but at a
minimum, should diagnose the problem.

For added leverage, you should swap the cable and/or drive yourself
indentify the faulty component. Hopefully you have a friend that has a
CD and cable that you can use for a short period of time. With this
diagnostic down, you can be more specific in what you require from Gateway.

Old August 1st 04, 12:59 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:52:19 GMT As another one bit the dust Mike
Holder wrote :

[...]

Cdrom drive shagged.Buy a new one.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old August 1st 04, 01:10 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Mike Holder wrote:

[...]

Usually there's a something like configuration(?) rom that can be
refreshed by: power down, change jumper(s) on the motherboard; power up
and then down, and then re-jumper(s). Ask Gateway tech support about
this or they may have the info on their Web site.
Old August 1st 04, 03:18 AM
Ed

In fact I have seen this problem, and it is idicitive of a Drive
failure.
You will need to replace the drive shortly.

Stear clear of gateway service, just replace the drive yourself, new
drives even good ones can be bought for $40-50. Save the shipping fees
and do the work yourself.

As you have been told the warranty work is not exactly free.

Live and learn.

Ed

Old August 1st 04, 06:27 AM
Grinder

Ed wrote:
In fact I have seen this problem, and it is idicitive of a Drive
failure.
You will need to replace the drive shortly.

Stear clear of gateway service, just replace the drive yourself, new
drives even good ones can be bought for $40-50. Save the shipping fees
and do the work yourself.

Even cheaper. I bought one of these a few weeks ago. I've been very
happy, and it even came with Nero.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=333209
Old August 1st 04, 04:33 PM
Mike Walsh

A possible work around is to configure the BIOS to run a memory test when booting. This will provide time for the drive to become ready. I have done this to get around problems with hard drives and CD drives.

Mike Holder wrote:

[...]

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 1st 04, 05:45 PM
albert

I just went thru the identical problem, identical symptoms -- with an HP
CDRW about 3 years old.

I tried all sorts of stuff before I solved the problem. (the thread was in
this newsgroup -- titled: "problems with atapi (?) IDE controller (?) and
cd-r and dvd operation"..... July 26 --- note that to establish that it
was the unit rather than something else, I finally swapped in an old plain
CDROM that I knew worked -- and all the weirdness, flashing lights, etc.,
ended.)

It turned out to be solved simply by installing a new CDRW -- bought a
Memorex
at Circuit City for about $50, with a $20 mail-in rebate
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...qp=0&oid=94063

HTH

albert

news

Old August 2nd 04, 01:46 AM
Shep©

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:45:31 GMT As another one bit the dust "albert"
wrote :

I just went thru the identical problem, identical symptoms -- with an HP
CDRW about 3 years old.

I tried all sorts of stuff before I solved the problem. (the thread was in
this newsgroup -- titled: "problems with atapi (?) IDE controller (?) and
cd-r and dvd operation"..... July 26 --- note that to establish that it
was the unit rather than something else, I finally swapped in an old plain
CDROM that I knew worked -- and all the weirdness, flashing lights, etc.,
ended.)

It turned out to be solved simply by installing a new CDRW -- bought a
Memorex
at Circuit City for about $50, with a $20 mail-in rebate
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...qp=0&oid=94063

HTH

I think I did say it was,"Shagged"

Old August 2nd 04, 06:25 PM

Grinder wrote:

They're probably counting on that. Be firm with them. Explain that you
computer is vital to you, and that they need to send out a replacement
CD-RW which you will install. This may well fix the problem, but at a
minimum, should diagnose the problem.

For added leverage, you should swap the cable and/or drive yourself
indentify the faulty component. Hopefully you have a friend that has a
CD and cable that you can use for a short period of time. With this
diagnostic down, you can be more specific in what you require from Gateway.

Yep, I plan to swap the cable sometime in the next day or so.
I'll try the drive as well (if I can borrow one from somebody),
but that probably won't conclusively isolate the problem to the
drive. (I.e., it could still be a mobo issue with the
particular drive or could be a system power issue that isn't
stressed by the newer (possibly lower power) drive.) I'll post
what happens when I run my next set of experiments.

Mike