help! my GF4 ti4200 128 keeps causing system instability

Old July 5th 03, 02:08 AM
Blaedmon

Default help! my GF4 ti4200 128 keeps causing system instability

the gf4 range is a power ninja, it sucks up a bongload - so your default
300watt PSU may need replacing, thats just 1 thing.
As for your 'locked' bios, screw that - you should be able to get into it.
Perhaps its admin passworded?
And check your cpu heat - is it up to the 55-60c's? Thats too hot. Durons
will run hotter than pentium, so their fans need to be better.

"Frank Bradshaw" wrote in message

Hi there - I'm having a load of errors and problems on the computer
since I installed this card - it is definately the card at fault because

as
soon as I remove it and place the old one in, everything is fine. Okay,

here
is a breakdown of my system:

1.2ghz Duron;
Gigabyte 7IXEH motherboard
384 mb ram
twin 8gb hdd
1 x 52 speed cd
4 x 8 x CDRW
56k modem
Network card
Extractor fan on one PCI slot mounted above fan of video card
4 x AGP slot
Internal case fan
300watt PSU
XP Home

There was two major system crashes which XP recovered from which it

firstly
reported was a problem with Sentinal.sys (Which I then upgraded from

Rainbow
Technologies.) and next time, the Microsoft help site/error reporter said

it
was graphics card driver problem. I have installed the latest drivers, but
the problem seems to keep reoccuring.

In the bios heat monitor section, I did find the processor at 59degrees C

at
one point. I literally picked up the case fan and placed it near the
graphics card and the CPU temp dropped within a minute by 12 degrees C.

So heat is one problem and the other seems to be drivers.

My problem is this is a home built PC. I can't flash the bios as it says

it
is locked. I've updated the VIA drivers and the motherboard drivers to no
avail.

Should I just take everything out and buy a bare-bones pc with a better

CPU
and newer motherboard and plug everything in? Is it just that everything

is
just incompatible?

cheers

frank

Old July 5th 03, 03:30 AM
Lester Piglet

"() ()" wrote in message
My GF4 ti4200 runs fine on a 250 watt power supply

But then again, what other hardware are you running?
The more hardware the power is consumed.

--
Les Ross
Certified by a

Old July 5th 03, 05:50 AM
Strontium

A good quality PSU will do fine, with the minimum recommended wattage for
the CPU. If anything, perhaps OP's PSU is just not very good
quality-wise.

-

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
[...]

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Overheating Overclocking PSU System Temps Inifinite Loop Nick Le Lievre Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 27th 03 06:10 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM