De-scramble Cable with A PC

Old July 3rd 03, 05:39 PM
Peter Gottlieb

Default De-scramble Cable with A PC

Let me know in another 10 years how close it is again. By then, for all you
know, real time software MPEG decryption may be commonplace. But not, I
imagine, in, choke, Visual C++. Totally inappropriate to use a high level
language for such a function.

"Dale Green" wrote in message

Go buy yourself Visual C++ and show us how it's done.

Anyway, North America is moving towards encrypted MPEG digital cable.

Have
fun doing that in real time in software.

Old July 3rd 03, 07:15 PM
J.Clarke

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:39:23 -0400
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote:

Let me know in another 10 years how close it is again. By then, for
all you know, real time software MPEG decryption may be commonplace.
But not, I imagine, in, choke, Visual C++. Totally inappropriate to
use a high level language for such a function.

Earth to Peter--the days of hand-tuned assembly code are long past. C
and its derivatives are used for just about everything these days
including digital signal processing.

OTOH, decryption by brute force isn't going to work in realtime with any
language.

"Dale Green" wrote in message

Go buy yourself Visual C++ and show us how it's done.

Anyway, North America is moving towards encrypted MPEG digital
cable.

Have
fun doing that in real time in software.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old July 4th 03, 04:47 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:39:23 -0400
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote:

Let me know in another 10 years how close it is again. By then, for
all you know, real time software MPEG decryption may be commonplace.
But not, I imagine, in, choke, Visual C++. Totally inappropriate to
use a high level language for such a function.

Earth to Peter--the days of hand-tuned assembly code are long past. C
and its derivatives are used for just about everything these days
including digital signal processing.

Don't go crying that something can't be done when you won't write critical
real time parts of the code in assembler and rely instead on high level
languages that effectively slow your processor by an order of magnitude.

Or maybe programmers have grown lazy and can't be troubled to understand the
hardware enough to talk directly to it with custom device handlers?

I'm not saying everyone can do this, but for those who can, the raw power of
these microwave frequency processors is astounding. Whether you can do it
in a closed source OS like Windows is another matter.

IDE ribbon cable connectors orientation Art Homebuilt PC's 4 April 25th 04 11:17 PM
Digital Cable setup? Shelley Ati Videocards 2 April 3rd 04 06:05 AM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 24th 03 12:14 AM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
No partition data when ATA-100 cable used. DS Homebuilt PC's 5 July 8th 03 08:01 AM