Display Problems

Old July 2nd 03, 04:53 AM
Incognito

Default Display Problems

System Config:

Windows XP SP1
Athlon XP 1600+
512 MB RAM
Asus V7100 nVidia GeForce 2 with 32MB RAM
NEC Multisync 97F
1600X1200 32Bit 85Hz Refresh (have tried others)

The display is not correct. At the "desktop", for instance, when a "window"
is moved toward the top part of the screen it becomes shorter and fatter
than it was while at the bottom part of the screen. Same thing with the
icons and text at the top of the screen in open full screen programs.
Within games and benchmarking software (like 3DMark 2000, 2001 and PC Mark)
the display is normal. I am thinking it is just a problem with the 2D of
the video card. The latest Asus nVidia drivers are being used and different
resolutions and refresh rates have been used but the same thing occurs. The
drivers have been removed and older drivers have been installed to rule out
problems with that.

I have not ruled out the monitor yet but I am thinking it may be a problem
with the video card. Does anyone here know of a way to test the 2D aspect
of video cards?

....or does anyone know if it could be a problem with the video card or the
monitor? I plan to test the monitor on the weekend with another desktop but
in the meantime I am open to advice.

Thanks.

---

Old July 3rd 03, 05:13 AM
Incognito

Thanks for the suggestions but I already tried that. Well that and just
about everything else. :-)

I have found a site that allows testing of monitor displays and based on
that (and what someone suggested on another group) I will be bringing it in
for service/replacement.

http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/

When the monitor is tested there the circles at the top are pretty much oval
not circles at all.

It is under warranty so that is good although I was hoping it was a problem
with the video card since I have had my eye on a GeForce 5900 and was
looking for an excuse to upgrade. Oh well.

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
check your monitor display shapes - i.e. makes sure its trapezoidalism

isnt
set to something freaky, degauss while you're there
I recall in same latter nvidia driver u could change the shape/view of

your
desktop.. well ALL of it, really. It should be accessable within the

normal
nvidia tab.

Old July 4th 03, 05:26 AM
Incognito

For anyone who is interested, I contacted NEC today and they are sending a
new replacement monitor since it is still under warranty. All I have to do
is send the existing one back and they will not charge my credit card.