Excuse me: OT about joystick/gamepad

Old June 29th 03, 05:05 PM
Jef

Default Excuse me: OT about joystick/gamepad

Hi everybody,

Like I already said, excuse me for posting an off-topic message like this,
but I thought the people in this group to be the best suitable for helping
me out with my question. First because questions are answered thoroughly in
at least 99% of the cases, second because people who like fast videocards
are usually people who like to play games with them.
I like to play games as well (between much longer periods of serious work on
my PC off course ;-)) and am considering buying a specialized game
controller. I have an Asus 9280S, that is a Ti4200 which I like very much
and which enables me to play 3D games very well.
I recentely bought "prisoner of war", I think it'll be a very exciting game,
but it'll have to wait till next week when my vacation starts. I would
however like to hear from You what controller You use for Your games.
Joystick or gamepad? Which brand? How do You like it / would You recommend
it to me? Is force feedback or "rumbling" nice or is it just something You
use once and then disable it?
Also I would like to know, even though I expect the answer to be "Yes" (I
just like to be sure before spending my money) whether I could freely choose
which controller to use with for example Prisoner of War. Or does one
specific type of game (e.g. FPS or trainsim) require it's own type of
controller (I am not mentioning steering wheels or very specialized
equipment for flight sim or so, I know they exist but do not intend to buy
one of them, the choice is merely between joystick or gamepad).

Thank You very much in advance for Your efforts!!!

Greetings,
René

P.S. I prefer as much opinions as I can get, so if someone else has already
given his or hers, please do not hesitate to add Yours...

Old June 29th 03, 05:20 PM
aep@nospam writeme.com

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:05:57 +0200, "Jef"
wrote:

Also I would like to know, even though I expect the answer to be "Yes" (I
just like to be sure before spending my money) whether I could freely choose
which controller to use with for example Prisoner of War. Or does one
specific type of game (e.g. FPS or trainsim) require it's own type of
controller (I am not mentioning steering wheels or very specialized
equipment for flight sim or so, I know they exist but do not intend to buy
one of them, the choice is merely between joystick or gamepad).

It totally depends on the gametype. An FPS should be played with
keyboard and mouse, as should a properly coded third person shooter
(like GTA3). I personaly use a gamepad for arcade style driving games
and Madden 2003 (American Football game). I use a joystick for flight
sims.

I have no idea what controls POW uses as Codemasters haven't released
a demo for it, which usualy indicates its rather iffy so I don't by
it. If they have implemented mouse control, I would imagine keyboard
and mouse would be best.

Andrew.
Old June 29th 03, 05:26 PM
Jef

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew!

René

Old June 29th 03, 07:03 PM
Shep©

wrote:

[...]

Same here and I like and use Logitech gear.Never had a real problem
with their stuff except a crappy install Cd for one joystick.Soon
sorted with free updated downloadable drivers.
Joypad for arcade games.
Joystick for flight sims.
And of course the,"Mouse/Keyboard" for serious online games ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,
Old July 4th 03, 01:00 AM
Jef

ThanX!!!

René

Old July 4th 03, 01:21 AM
Strontium

In the future, it's considered etiquette to leave the thread intact.
How, on earth, is anyone with a ****ty nsp like you, for instance, gonna
know how or why you solved ut problem? sorry, just me.

-
Jef stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

ThanX!!!

René

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Old July 4th 03, 07:52 AM
aep@nospam writeme.com

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:21:25 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:

In the future, it's considered etiquette to leave the thread intact.

Someone who top posts preaching etiquette - lol

Andrew.
Old July 4th 03, 08:32 AM
aep@nospam writeme.com

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:16:42 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:

And top-posting is 'wrong', how? Mr. Smartass...?

I, both, bottom and top post. I use whatever is appropriate for the
situation. Are you a bottomposting-nazi?

No, I am just a person that reads english from the top of a page
downwards. Call me old fashioned.

Andrew.
Old July 4th 03, 09:00 AM
Strontium

'Old fashioned' :P

I'm not even going to get into the 'topposting vs bottomposting' debate,
again. This was played out, years ago, already. We all decided that it
was best to just agree to disagree. I guess you weren't at that meeting.

-

Old July 4th 03, 12:41 PM
Strontium

Welcome to nym-shifting mode, dumbass

Plonk that, up your ass.

-
aep@nospam writeme.com stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 03:00:33 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:

I'm not even going to get into the 'topposting vs bottomposting'
debate, again. This was played out, years ago, already. We all
decided that it was best to just agree to disagree. I guess you
weren't at that meeting.

Oh well, thank god for killfiles then.

*plonk*

Andrew.