Need advice on replacement video card with TV out

Old June 23rd 03, 05:23 PM
boe

Default Need advice on replacement video card with TV out

You may want to upgrade more than just your video card. If you are thinking
you can play the new T2 HD DVD, your processor doesn't cut it. You will
also find the TV's larger screen is pretty demanding also requiring a faster
processor. A good video card helps but the CPU in your computer is one of
the biggest issue. Mind you I only have an 866 myself, but I build new
systems on a regular basis for my friends and the difference is significant.

"Video Deprived" wrote in message
I need a new video card and I need a TV out as well as good computer
graphics.

Someone suggested an Nvidia 4600. I'm not sure of the whole model
number. Can anyone help me out?

I'm using Win98se on a P3 800 MHz.

What do I need to watch out for? I want to play videos that play on
the computer on the TV. Thanks for any help.

Old June 24th 03, 02:42 AM
Video Deprived

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:23:09 GMT, "boe" wrote:

You may want to upgrade more than just your video card. If you are thinking
you can play the new T2 HD DVD,

I don't know what that is. I'm just interested in having good video
on the computer and being able to have a TV out option so I can view
some things on the TV. If a lesser card than an Nvidia 4600 will do
that for me I'd be interested in hearing about it.

your processor doesn't cut it.

Getting a new computer or upgrading the CPU are not really options for
me. If TV out is too demanding for my system then I'll just look for
a decent video card and forget about TV out. But I know that people
have had TV out on cards from years ago, so maybe some video card
that's considered "obsolete," but still sold, would do? If so, what
would you recommend?

You will
also find the TV's larger screen is pretty demanding also requiring a faster
processor. A good video card helps but the CPU in your computer is one of
the biggest issue. Mind you I only have an 866 myself, but I build new
systems on a regular basis for my friends and the difference is significant.

Thanks. What sort of performance hit would I see with my old CPU?
Would the TV picture be awful or would the computer graphics be worse
than my old card, which isn't even sold anymore?
Old June 24th 03, 04:03 AM
Bratboy

Trying to figure out how you came to the conclusion it takes even more pwr
to display an image on TV than computer to be honest. Seeing as how the max
resolution ANY tv out chip Im aware of can do is 1024 (older TV outs
800x600) the actual demand pwr wise should be the same as a desktop of same
size period, In fact as most tv ouput is done at 60 hz compared to how ppl
run desktops at 75 or better it should use less. Basically its just a simple
case of output to mon or TV no real diff in pwr needed for that.Sort of like
saying a projector uses more vid card pwr to display the 640 image you have
on monitor because even tho its still 640 its projected to be 640 on an 8ft
screen which would be invalid as the imput image is the same period. Now to
decode the new t2 wmv file could require more power , processer wise, due
tio it haveing to decode the file etc..but in general if the movies you play
play fine on your system then any card doing TV out should be able to
reproduce the same to the TV signal with NO additional strain.

.. .

Old June 24th 03, 11:12 PM
tq96

I need a new video card and I need a TV out as well as good computer
graphics.

Someone suggested an Nvidia 4600. I'm not sure of the whole model
number. Can anyone help me out?

tv-out support on NVidia cards has been notoriously bad. Some say it is
because of poor documentation being provided to NVidia by the tv chip guys.
If I were in the market for a card with good tv-out, I'd take a look at an
NVidia card with a built in encoder (NVidia is sure to know how to program
it's own chips) or a card from ATI.

It's also imperative that you get a card with two RAMDACs so that you can
simultaneously display the image on the monitor and TV without much hassle.
Old June 25th 03, 05:30 PM
Video Deprived

On 24 Jun 2003 17:12:14 -0500, tq96 wrote:

tv-out support on NVidia cards has been notoriously bad. Some say it is
because of poor documentation being provided to NVidia by the tv chip guys.
If I were in the market for a card with good tv-out, I'd take a look at an
NVidia card with a built in encoder (NVidia is sure to know how to program
it's own chips) or a card from ATI.

It's also imperative that you get a card with two RAMDACs so that you can
simultaneously display the image on the monitor and TV without much hassle.

I went for a PNY GeForce FX 5200. The TV encoder type is "Integrated
MV," which I think is related to what the folks at TV Tools say is
something they don't know about yet because NVidia won't release any
information on it to them.

I have to say that the docs are just about non-existent! I'd been
hoping that TV Tools would make it fairly easy to get the TV out to
work, but TV Tools can't figure out what I'm using to access the TV.
So much for that.

I got a TV display to happen but I can't seem to get it to happen
without a lot of hassle. And I went through so much to get it to
happen that I can't remember how to get it to happen again. I suppose
that after six months of so of doing this I'll get it down to a
procedure that takes less than three hours.

I'm hoping I haven't made a bad purchase here.
Old June 26th 03, 01:52 AM
tq96

I have to say that the docs are just about non-existent! I'd been
hoping that TV Tools would make it fairly easy to get the TV out to

The architecture of TV-Tool is such that it was designed for single RAMDAC
cards. It doesn't integrate very well with the last two generations of
cards.

I got a TV display to happen but I can't seem to get it to happen
without a lot of hassle. And I went through so much to get it to

Try:
Control Panel Display Settings Advanced Geforce FX 5200 NView
Display Mode.

Select the "clone" option and set the secondary display to use the TV out.
From the "Device Settings" button, you should be able to configure the TV
out settings.