GeForce FX 5200 or Radeon 9200?

Old August 12th 04, 09:49 PM
hukuis

Default GeForce FX 5200 or Radeon 9200?

Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade to a 128MB graphics card for the time being
(saving for a 9800XT, or maybe even X800) and I am looking for the
best possible performance, i have no preference one way or the other
with ATI or nVidia. I am experienced with overclocking, so if this is
an option please say so. I currently have an ATI Radeon 9000 DDR
(salvaged from a compaq presario) with 64MB RAM, in a system that
follows:

ECS K7S5A Pro (rev. 5)
Athlon XP 1900+ overclocked to 2100+
256MB PC3200 DDR
SoundBlaster PCI128 (running through my Dolby Digital home theater
system)
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM

Thanks for your help,
-hukuis
Old August 12th 04, 10:39 PM
deimos

hukuis wrote:

Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade to a 128MB graphics card for the time being
(saving for a 9800XT, or maybe even X800) and I am looking for the
best possible performance, i have no preference one way or the other
with ATI or nVidia. I am experienced with overclocking, so if this is
an option please say so. I currently have an ATI Radeon 9000 DDR
(salvaged from a compaq presario) with 64MB RAM, in a system that
follows:

ECS K7S5A Pro (rev. 5)
Athlon XP 1900+ overclocked to 2100+
256MB PC3200 DDR
SoundBlaster PCI128 (running through my Dolby Digital home theater
system)
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM

Thanks for your help,
-hukuis

I'm almost tempted to say the 9200 would do better in a low to mid range
processor system, but from experience a 5200 Ultra with 128MB and a
128-bit bus (not the crippled cards) does pretty well too. I've seen
proper 5200U's perform better in Battlefield Vietnam than higher cards
like 5600's and Radeon 9500's.

I would definitely spend as little as possible in your case though,
you're going to need it later for a better CPU (maybe a Sempron if you
can support it, otherwise a 3200 will do great) and DEFINITELY more RAM
(try a Gig).

Then upgrade to a better card.

Old August 13th 04, 03:17 AM
Jeremy Stanley

I'm looking to upgrade to a 128MB graphics card for the time being
(saving for a 9800XT, or maybe even X800) and I am looking for the
best possible performance

I'd save my money if I were you. The 9200 is nothing more than a 9000
at 8x AGP, and even with 128MB of RAM, probably isn't worth the
upgrade. Stick with the 9000 until you've got enough for the high end
card you really want.

But between the two, I'd take a 5200. I've got one of those in my
work system, and for the occasional weekend BF1942, it does pretty
well. Just make sure to get one with a 128-bit memory bus. (Wouldn't
it be nice if the 64-bit version had a different name, like 5200SE or
something? Get with the program, Nvidia!)
Old August 13th 04, 08:38 AM
Ctal

"hukuis" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade to a 128MB graphics card for the time being
(saving for a 9800XT, or maybe even X800) and I am looking for the
best possible performance, i have no preference one way or the other
with ATI or nVidia. I am experienced with overclocking, so if this is
an option please say so. I currently have an ATI Radeon 9000 DDR
(salvaged from a compaq presario) with 64MB RAM, in a system that
follows:

ECS K7S5A Pro (rev. 5)
Athlon XP 1900+ overclocked to 2100+
256MB PC3200 DDR
SoundBlaster PCI128 (running through my Dolby Digital home theater
system)
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM

Thanks for your help,
-hukuis

I was in a similar situation to yours a few months ago. I opted for a
9600Pro to "tide" me over till I could grab a 9800. Still saving
unfortunately but I'm happy with the Pro for now.

If you trying to keep this under $100 I'd consider this card:

http://www.upgrade-solution.com/deta...ID=775&add=yes

Good performance and this one's overclockable. Probably a little more than
you'd pay for an FX5200 or a Radeon 9200. If you need to keep the price
even lower, than I'd go for the FX5200. As mentioned before get the 128-bit
bus.

Old August 14th 04, 03:23 AM
hukuis

That particular card is about $40 more than I would really like to
spend. Does anyone know where and for how much I could find a GeForce
FX 5200 Ultra? I haven't seen them on NewEgg.com or on Tiger Direct.
Also, is there a pro or XT version of the 9200 that can be had for
near the same price as a 5200 Ultra?
Thanks,
-Hukuis
Old August 14th 04, 03:37 AM
hukuis

I would definitely spend as little as possible in your case though,
you're going to need it later for a better CPU (maybe a Sempron if you
can support it, otherwise a 3200 will do great) and DEFINITELY more RAM
(try a Gig).

Then upgrade to a better card.

I'm planning on purchasing an XP 2400+ and overclocking to 2.6 gHz...
my friend has done this with three systems and they are running like a
dream. Just a side note, what about the Radeon 9250 with 128MB and
the 128-bit memory bus? Powercolor has one that costs about the same
as a 9200.
Thanks,
-Hukuis
Old August 14th 04, 02:27 PM
J. Clarke

hukuis wrote:

Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade to a 128MB graphics card for the time being
(saving for a 9800XT, or maybe even X800) and I am looking for the
best possible performance, i have no preference one way or the other
with ATI or nVidia. I am experienced with overclocking, so if this is
an option please say so. I currently have an ATI Radeon 9000 DDR
(salvaged from a compaq presario) with 64MB RAM, in a system that
follows:

ECS K7S5A Pro (rev. 5)
Athlon XP 1900+ overclocked to 2100+
256MB PC3200 DDR
SoundBlaster PCI128 (running through my Dolby Digital home theater
system)
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM

Thanks for your help,

Look at a Radeon 9100.

If I were forced to the choice between a Geforce FX 5200 or a Radeon 9200
I'd go with the 5200. Not much of a choice though really--neither one has
any performance to speak of. The only Radeon with a number between 9000
and 9499 that would be a real performance upgrade from your 9000 is the
9_1_00. The 9000, 9200, and 9250 all use the same POS chip that was
designed to compete at the low end of the market, with the 9000 non-pro
being the worst of a bad lot. The 9100 uses the older R200 chip that was
ATI's performance leader until the Radeon 9500 and 9700 came along, and
while it doesn't outperform the Ti4200, it gives it a run for its money.

In terms of bang for the buck though the Ti4200, if you can find one, is
still the best bet--its performance is in the same ballpark as the current
generation of midrange boards, the only thing it lacks is DirectX 9
acceleration. The only board that you're considering that has that is the
5200 and it's for the most part not fast enough to take advantage of it.

So, to reiterate, go for the Radeon 9100.

-hukuis

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 14th 04, 04:55 PM
Dreamaker

On 13 Aug 2004 19:23:27 -0700, (hukuis) wrote:

That particular card is about $40 more than I would really like to
spend. Does anyone know where and for how much I could find a GeForce
FX 5200 Ultra? I haven't seen them on NewEgg.com or on Tiger Direct.
Also, is there a pro or XT version of the 9200 that can be had for
near the same price as a 5200 Ultra?
Thanks,
-Hukuis

I don't know much about the ati9200 card but if i recall what I've read it's possible that the cards
is a 64bits path memory bus that run benchmark lower that a regular 9000pro series. well it a dx8
card but for people who want to do WordPerfect text...

What i had
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...l#asus_v9520td
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=V9520/TD&langs=09
What you shouldn't get
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...0SE/T&langs=09 forget the se version.

what you should look for: from ati
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...ml#radeon_9200
Radeon 9200 PRO 128-MB 128-bit DDR (300/ 600); official price: $129-$149

Have a look at that there's all the card you want in one place whit all the spec.
http://www.jengajam.com/r/3224

notice that the 9200 is clocked at the same speed than the fx5200 non ultra and iis a dx8.8 card
boooo!

For the fx5200u here's the
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra..._guide-69.html
notice that ultra version are memory clocked way beyond the non ultra.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...d=1426&page=10
http://www.ultimatehardware.net/fx5600u/fx5600u.htm ( the fx5200 u and non u is there)
It's an albatron but hey it perform very well to me my fx5200 non ultra
manage to get 6000 point or more in the 3dmark01se benchmark program.
and that is all set to default.

the fx5200u vs a 9700pro
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1426&page=8

maybe you should have a look at that place to get you video card...
http://www.compuvest.com/

Here's for some other readers
9700 to 9800 differences
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...800pro-01.html

IMO the fx5200u is a survivor like the 9000pro did 5 year ago and like it will be for the 9800pro
card...

Make your choice and tell us how you feel. :-)