Power supply recommended for the 9800PRO?

Old April 29th 04, 10:04 AM
Nissim Trifonov

Default Power supply recommended for the 9800PRO?

I'll be buying a 9800PRO soon. I have 300W power supply, but I've read in
some review of the product that using a 400W or better is very recommended
as the card uses about 230W (the card alone!) at max load. Before reading
that I was quite sure my 300W will do just fine. So… the question is: to buy
or not to buy new power supply? And is it true about that “230W at max load”
???

Old April 29th 04, 10:57 AM
Chip

"Nissim Trifonov" wrote in message
I'll be buying a 9800PRO soon. I have 300W power supply, but I've read in
some review of the product that using a 400W or better is very recommended
as the card uses about 230W (the card alone!) at max load. Before reading
that I was quite sure my 300W will do just fine. So. the question is: to

buy
or not to buy new power supply? And is it true about that "230W at max

load"
???

There's no simple answer to this. Power supply manufacturers are
notoriously inconsistent in how they rate their PSU's. A good 300 watter
can be much better than a cheap-n-nasty 400w unit. And the emphasis on
where to put the power has changed: CPU's used to be driven off the 5v
rail, and now they are all driven off the 12v rail. So whether your PSU has
a good 12v output is now much more important. You may well be OK if your
PSU is a decent one.

However, my advice to you would be that if you have any aspirations to
overclock your setup, then you probably need a new PSU. 300w really is
close to the limit and you will get much better overclocking with a nice
stable power supply that's not overstretching itself. Since you don't want
to keep changing PSU's all the time, in this case I would go for the best
one I could afford and I'd get a 400w *minimum*, probably more. I'd go for
a 500w unit, if I could afford it. Apart from anything else, they often run
more quiet when they are not near their maximum output. Antec and Forton
make very good affordable units. Personally, I don't rate Enermax very
highly, but others do. "PC Power and Cooling" make imho the very best
units, but they cost a fortune, and if you haven't heard of them, then you
don't need one;-)

If you are not bothered about overclocking then why not stick with your
existing PSU and try it. If its a decent one, it might well work just fine.
I have seen people running stable rigs with lower than 300w PSU's!

And no, it isn't true that the 9800 draws 230 watts. If that number has any
meaning at all (which I doubt), then that number would be a transient peak -
which a decent PSU would be able to accommodate anyway.

Cheers,

Chip

Old April 29th 04, 04:32 PM
DreamMaker

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:04:25 GMT, "Nissim Trifonov"
wrote:

I'll be buying a 9800PRO soon. I have 300W power supply, but I've read in
some review of the product that using a 400W or better is very recommended
as the card uses about 230W (the card alone!) at max load. Before reading
that I was quite sure my 300W will do just fine. So… the question is: to buy
or not to buy new power supply? And is it true about that “230W at max loadâ€
???

I had a 300w psu before purchasing the ati 9800pro and, i did'nt knew
at that time that it was so demanding in power. so i did try to use
that 300w with the 9800pro and it did take long before smelling a
toasted psu. by chance it did'nt blow up or did a shortcut in my
system. So at that time i did'nt had much money so i purchase a nspire
450w psu rated at 430watts and till that time i dont get any bad smell
or else.

For te power consumsion of the card i've read that it was using as
much as 300W... i dont say that it true but for shure that babe need a
lot of milk... huh!
Old April 29th 04, 04:55 PM
Chip

"Nissim Trifonov" wrote in message
I'll be buying a 9800PRO soon. I have 300W power supply, but I've read in
some review of the product that using a 400W or better is very recommended
as the card uses about 230W (the card alone!) at max load. Before reading
that I was quite sure my 300W will do just fine. So. the question is: to

buy
or not to buy new power supply? And is it true about that "230W at max

load"
???

BTW, For the 980 Pro, ATI say "ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or
greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal
devices are installed."

Chip.

Old April 29th 04, 09:27 PM
@ndrew

Nissim Trifonov wrote:

I'll be buying a 9800PRO soon. I have 300W power supply, but I've
read in some review of the product that using a 400W or better is
very recommended as the card uses about 230W (the card alone!) at
max load. Before reading that I was quite sure my 300W will do just
fine. So the question is: to buy or not to buy new power supply? And
is it true about that 230W at max load ???

Well I use an Antec PS and can thoroughly recommend them.

You may care to run this as well:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

regards

@ndrew
Old April 30th 04, 12:54 AM
Wayne Youngman

Hi,

I agree the *brand* of PSu is more important that the wattage. I was running
a 9800 on an overclocked Barton system, all worked well with a 300w ANTEC
PSU
--
Wayne ][

Old April 30th 04, 08:36 AM
Thomas

Nissim Trifonov wrote:
I'll be buying a 9800PRO soon. I have 300W power supply, but I've
read in some review of the product that using a 400W or better is
very recommended as the card uses about 230W (the card alone!) at
max load. Before reading that I was quite sure my 300W will do just
fine. So… the question is: to buy or not to buy new power supply? And
is it true about that “230W at max load” ???

The card uses about 80-90 watts at full throttle. Which is quite alot, I
think ;-)

I have a 365 Watt PSU from Enermax, which is a good brand, so it works
perfectly on my 9700 OC'd to 9800 speed. SO.... if you have a decent brand,
and dont plan to do much overclocking, and dont have too many extra drives,
you should really be okay.

Thomas

Old April 30th 04, 10:01 AM
@ndrew

Thomas wrote:

Nissim Trifonov wrote:
I'll be buying a 9800PRO soon. I have 300W power supply, but I've
read in some review of the product that using a 400W or better is
very recommended as the card uses about 230W (the card alone!) at
max load. Before reading that I was quite sure my 300W will do just
fine. So the question is: to buy or not to buy new power supply?
And is it true about that 230W at max load ???

The card uses about 80-90 watts at full throttle. Which is quite
alot, I think ;-)

If you use the site I recommended it shows that the card uses 54 watts
o)

I have a 365 Watt PSU from Enermax, which is a good brand, so it works
perfectly on my 9700 OC'd to 9800 speed. SO.... if you have a decent
brand, and dont plan to do much overclocking, and dont have too many
extra drives, you should really be okay.

Probably not ... depending on the rest of the configuration ... 400
watts with modern graphics cards and chipsets is probably the minimum
without overloading the system. Again look here and do your own
calculations:

Old May 1st 04, 12:04 AM
Sept1967

Ditto:
I have the same Enermax 365w, no problems.

Old May 1st 04, 11:35 AM
Asestar

These Enermax 365W are a real sob psu! They have more juice in 12V and 5V
rail than most 400W psu.

My fully loaded system with 3-dimm sdrams, 2Hdd, 2 optical drives, 3pci
cards, 1 9600SE, about 2 fans in system and a LOT of usb devices. It runs
smoothly on Enermax.