Video card upgrade...Radeon VS Nvidia

Old December 27th 03, 10:41 PM

I believe your choice should be neither card as you can get a Radeon 9800
128 meg card for about 144 US dollars or an NVIDIA 5900 128 meg card for the
price of the FX 5700 Ultra.

regards

"RobM" wrote in message
Hi,

I built a new system over Christmas. The new system is a Celeron 1.7Ghz

in
a motherboard with a 533FSB. I know the CPU isn't the fastest, but I can
upgrade up to a P4 at 3.06Gz later. My old system was an old Dell XPT

with
a 1.3 Celeron, but the motherboard only had a 100FSB. But I digress....

I have a GeForce3 TI200 that I am going to move to the new system. Would

it
be worth it to upgrade to a FX5700 Ultra or a Radeon 9600XT? Which card

is
better/faster. Will I notice a difference compared to my G3 TI200 (I

think
it has 64megs)? The FX5700 is about 30 cheaper than the 9600XT. Is there
any difference between a Radeon 9600 and 9600XT? I know there are faster
card, but that is all my budget can afford.

Thanks for the advice.........................Rob

Old December 28th 03, 11:14 PM
Magwheelz

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:24:46 -0500, "RobM" wrote:

Is there
any difference between a Radeon 9600 and 9600XT? I know there are faster
card, but that is all my budget can afford.

Thanks for the advice.........................Rob

9600se = crawl
9600 = walk
9600pro = jog
9600xt = run

Gotta go,
Magwheelz

Old December 28th 03, 11:21 PM
DaveW

The 9600XT has slightly better images and is slightly faster. The 5700
Ultra has much more stable drivers. You decide.

Whichever you get it will give your computer DX9 capability for the latest
games, which you don't currently have with your GF3 Ti200.

--
DaveW

Old December 29th 03, 12:03 AM
Dam6

"RobM" wrote in message
[...]

Like Anandtech or not, here are a load of gaming figures so YOU can decide
which card you would prefer depending on the amount of money you wish to
spend. It's all down to the individual game and optimisations at the end of
the day.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1933&p=1

Slightly off topic:
One week ago: Rebuilt a system with Windows 2000, installed SP4, ALL
updates. Fine. Installed Nvidia drivers, not that old. Fine. Today went
back and un-installed old drivers and installed new NVidia drivers. Ba ha
haa. The Advanced display properties would not appear stating a desk.cpl
error. Used Det Destroyer and re-installed new drivers. Same thing. Went
back to the original CD and all is fine. Stable? yes, good drivers in the
whole sense of the word good? No. ATI and Nvidia just as bad as each other.

Disclaimer: Please do not let the above put you off your choice! I have
had both an ATi and Nvidia card(s) and as long as the price is right, I'll
come on down. Woohoo!

(Matrox M3d, Voodoo 2, Voodoo 2 SLI, ATI Rage Fury Maxx, Geforce 2 MX,
Geforce 3 Ti200, Geforce 3Ti-500, Geforce 4ti 4200, and finally Radeon 9800
(Non-Pro) All worked without fail apart from the Creative 3D Savage 4 S3
crap)

Old December 29th 03, 12:46 AM
Joe M.

"RobM" wrote in message
[...]

The card missing from that comparison beats all challengers in the sub $200
range (including the 9800 np at times) - the 5900 SE/XT (same card). Check
out these numbers - it leaves the 9600 XT and 5700 Ultra in the dust for
$189 with a free copy of CoD if you hurry (just got one for my kids PC last
week - great budget card).

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...900_xt_review/

--
Joe M.

Old December 29th 03, 05:10 AM
Max Longman

"RobM" wrote in message
Hi,

I built a new system over Christmas. The new system is a Celeron 1.7Ghz in
a motherboard with a 533FSB. I know the CPU isn't the fastest, but I can
upgrade up to a P4 at 3.06Gz later. My old system was an old Dell XPT with
a 1.3 Celeron, but the motherboard only had a 100FSB. But I digress....

You'll notice little difference between a 5700 and 9600 with that processor, it's
slower than a 1Ghz Amd Duron and will have nowhere near enough power to run a top
graphics card like a 9800 or 5900.

Old December 29th 03, 05:24 AM
Max Longman

"Dam6" wrote in message

Like Anandtech or not, here are a load of gaming figures so YOU can decide
which card you would prefer depending on the amount of money you wish to
spend. It's all down to the individual game and optimisations at the end of
the day.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1933&p=1

They're testing budget graphics cards with an Athlon FX lol!