Installing Rockwell modem

Old April 11th 04, 06:36 PM
Justin Reeves

Default Installing Rockwell modem

I have a modem of unknown manufacturer that I am trying to install into a
friends PC for him. The chips on the modem show the following details:

Rockwell
RLVDL56DPF/SP
R6785-61

and

11235-14

I cannot find a manufacturer code or any FCC details on the PCB.

The problem that I am having is that I can find generic drivers for Rockwell
/ Conexant chipset modems, but when windows identifies that new hardware has
been installed, it is coming up as a PCI card rather than a Rockwell /
Conexant modem. This in turn means that when I try to install the modem
drivers the setup program tells me that no modems are present in the
computer.

I have had the same problem in both Win98 and WinME and its driving me nuts
trying to figure out.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old April 11th 04, 07:15 PM
Shepİ

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:36:45 +0100 As truth resonates honesty "Justin
Reeves" wrote :

[...]

Try here,
http://www.modem-help.co.uk/

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old April 11th 04, 07:26 PM
Justin Reeves

Reeves" wrote :

[...]

That site was already my first port of call, but I had no luck.

Old April 11th 04, 08:00 PM
Mike Walsh

You should not need any special drivers to use only the data functions of the modem e.g. internet access. I have used many V34 and V90 modems installed as generic devices, and even connected at V90 speeds on modems that were listed as V34 devices.

Justin Reeves wrote:

[...]

West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Old April 11th 04, 10:54 PM
Jon Danniken

"Justin Reeves" wrote:
I have a modem of unknown manufacturer that I am trying to install into a
friends PC for him. The chips on the modem show the following details:

Try installing the modem as a serial port first, reboot once or twice, and then install a modem on that port. I
remember having to do this once or twice; there were also modems that required the software to be installed first,
then when the card goes in the computer knows what it is (but without knowing who made the card that's out of
reach). I wish I could be of more help.

Jon

Old April 12th 04, 06:40 AM
kony

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:36:45 +0100, "Justin Reeves"
wrote:

I have a modem of unknown manufacturer that I am trying to install into a
friends PC for him. The chips on the modem show the following details:

Rockwell
RLVDL56DPF/SP
R6785-61

and

11235-14

I cannot find a manufacturer code or any FCC details on the PCB.

You shouldn't really need that info, the two lines under "rockwell" above
are enough to find a viable driver.

The problem that I am having is that I can find generic drivers for Rockwell
/ Conexant chipset modems, but when windows identifies that new hardware has
been installed, it is coming up as a PCI card rather than a Rockwell /
Conexant modem.

That's what it's supposed to do. It is considered a multifunction PCI
device, which will eventually (via the driver) use a virtual com port...
technically it's not a (hardware) modem "yet".

This in turn means that when I try to install the modem
drivers the setup program tells me that no modems are present in the
computer.

What modem driver? Are you SURE you're using the correct driver?
Those are often called an "FM56-P". I "think" that's an HCF modem, but I
could be wrong.

I have had the same problem in both Win98 and WinME and its driving me nuts
trying to figure out.

Try the conexant modem id utility and let that lead you to the generic
driver they offer,
http://www.conexant.com/support/md_d...ssistance.html
Old April 12th 04, 02:27 PM
Shepİ

http://tinyurl.com/28mmj

Old April 12th 04, 02:33 PM
Mike Walsh

I should have said that you don't need drivers for a real (hardware based) modem. In that case hardware drivers are needed for the COM port, but not the modem. Windows will search for COM ports and then interrogate the COM ports to see what devices are attached.
If it is a WinModem you will need the correct modem driver.

Old April 14th 04, 12:58 AM
ProfGene

This site has a lot of Rockwell modems drivers listed:
http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/902.htm