8KNXP Slow Hard Drives

Old October 15th 04, 09:44 AM
Jim

Default 8KNXP Slow Hard Drives

Hi I hope someone can help with this.

I got a 8knxp (Rev 2 with FJ) with 2 74GB Western Digital Caviar drives (
7200 rpm 8MB cache) in a standard master slave config, the 2 drives are on
IDE 1. I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
somewhere ?

Old October 15th 04, 12:34 PM
Moritz Kuerten

In article , "DavidM" us=
e newsgroup only @itiseasier. thatway wrote:
I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
somewhere ?

Did You check wether UDMA mode is enabled or not?
How did You measure the transfer rate?
I would prefer to connect one HD as master on first IDE channel and the second =
HD as master on second IDE channel. Otherwise You will not get the full speed w=
hen copy from HD1 to HD2.

Moritz

Old October 15th 04, 12:48 PM
Jim

Thanks for that.
I just set UDMA to auto, now i get 68 MB/s on primary but still 3MB/s on
the slave.

Old October 15th 04, 01:30 PM
Jim

I used HD Tach to check read speeds.
I thought transfering data on the same IDE channel would be quicker. Should
I move the slave HD to IDE 1 and have 1 HD an 1 optical drive on each
channel?

Jim.

Old October 15th 04, 05:02 PM
Jim

I have changed my setup so it is HD/optical on each channel im now getting
50MB/s on drive 1 and 40MB/s on drive 2 UDMA is set to auto for all 4
devices..
Thanks for your help and ideas guys.
Jim.

Old October 15th 04, 09:04 PM
Moritz Kürten

I used HD Tach to check read speeds.
I thought transfering data on the same IDE channel would be quicker.

No, it isn't. On one IDE channel, only one device can transfer data at
the same time. For copy data from HD1 to HD2 on the same channel this
means, while one HD is reading data, the other one hast to wait. Then
the data is written to the other HD and the first one has to wait.

Should
I move the slave HD to IDE 1 and have 1 HD an 1 optical drive on each
channel?

Yes, I do this so. In this case, while copy data from HD1 to HD2 the
situation is:
HD1 is reading and at the same time HD2 is writing the data.
Therefore, You should get twice the speed then in Your configuration.

Test it by copying a large file from HD1 to HD2 and stop witch Your
clock the transfer time.

Moritz

Old October 15th 04, 11:05 PM
Jim

I dont know where to check the reported DMA setting.
Jim.

"Karen Parker" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:48:31 +0100, "Jim"
wrote:

Thanks for that.
I just set UDMA to auto, now i get 68 MB/s on primary but still 3MB/s

on
the slave.

Yes but what is it reporting as the DMA Setting...?

Setting it on Auto does not mean a thing..

Old October 15th 04, 11:26 PM
Jim

ok I found it, they are set to udma if available for device 0 and pio only
for device 1 on each channel.

Jim

Old October 16th 04, 03:11 AM
Bob Davis

"Jim" wrote in message

ok I found it, they are set to udma if available for device 0 and pio only
for device 1 on each channel.

Where did you find this info?