Recommended memory for 7N400 Pro2?

Old February 24th 04, 03:08 PM
Sue

Default Recommended memory for 7N400 Pro2?

Can someone kindly post me the official Gigabyte list of memory which
is recommended for use with the GA-7N400 pro2 board.

For some reason my PC can't download the user manual (in pdf format)
from Gigabyte's website so I can't see what is written there.

I am thinking of using Crucial PC3200 memory. Is that ok?
Old February 25th 04, 09:37 PM
Rick Mullaney

New to all this, on my first hi-end bill. I bought OCZ PC3200ELs and they're running fine in my 8KNXP. They list the 7N400 Pro2

http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/motherboard/66
OCZ Technology | Support | Motherboard Qualification Guide | Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
Good Luck!

Rick

Old February 26th 04, 11:39 AM
Sue

"Sue" wrote in message

Can someone kindly post me the official Gigabyte list of memory which
is recommended for use with the GA-7N400 pro2 board.

For some reason my PC can't download the user manual (in pdf format)
from Gigabyte's website so I can't see what is written there.

I am thinking of using Crucial PC3200 memory. Is that ok?

"jpsga" wrote

In the past I used Crucial exclusively and they never disappointed me.
However, they are new at these high end memory and do seem to yeld well.
After looking, I chose the Corsair TwinX 1024 in the XMS series. That is a
package with two sticks of 512. They work well at FSB of 200MHz

Since you don't have a Users Manual for the board ... be advised that you
must have two sticks to invoke the Dual Channel feature. One stick in DIMM1
that the other DIMM3.

Gigabyte does not recommend any memory manafacture(s).

Jim.

Jim, thanks for your reply. Your point about dual memory makes me
wonder if I need to have more than one memory stick to use the RAID
connecteors for ordinary IDE drives.

In other words, i want to attach five or more IDE parallel devices and
will use the RAID connectors for some of these. However I will not be
enabling RAID. DO I need any special memory config to be able to do
this?

Thank you.
Old February 26th 04, 10:49 PM
jpsga

The amount of ram will not interfere with using the SATA feature. You didn't
mention what size memory you are thinking about. One stick on 512MB should
keep every thing happy. Most people buy two sticks in case they have to
trouble shot the system. 2X256 would give you some back up and allow dual
channel operation.

You have two EIDE sockets to cover 4 of your 'parallel devices'. This board
has two Gigaraid connectors that do not have to be a RAID array. That gives
you up to 8 devices. No CD players on the Gigaraid ports.
Have you down loaded the manual yet? This board comes with 3 manuals !!

Jim

"jpsga" wrote in message
In the past I used Crucial exclusively and they never disappointed me.
However, they are new at these high end memory and do seem to yeld well.
After looking, I chose the Corsair TwinX 1024 in the XMS series. That is

package with two sticks of 512.
They work well at FSB of 200MHz

Since you don't have a Users Manual for the board ... be advised that you
must have two sticks to invoke the Dual Channel feature. One stick in

DIMM1
that the other DIMM3.

Gigabyte does not recommend any memory manafacture(s).

Jim.

om...

Old February 27th 04, 11:47 AM
Sue

"jpsga" wrote in message

The amount of ram will not interfere with using the SATA feature. You didn't
mention what size memory you are thinking about. One stick on 512MB should
keep every thing happy. Most people buy two sticks in case they have to
trouble shot the system. 2X256 would give you some back up and allow dual
channel operation.

Excellent idea. Thanks for the tip.

You have two EIDE sockets to cover 4 of your 'parallel devices'. This board
has two Gigaraid connectors that do not have to be a RAID array. That gives
you up to 8 devices. No CD players on the Gigaraid ports.
Have you down loaded the manual yet? This board comes with 3 manuals !!

For some reason I couldn't view the PDF manual when I downloaded it
but now it seems t be ok.

Which are the three manuals? I can only see one plus one for RAID.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_GA-7N400V%20Pro2.htm
and then I seelcted the 5.26 MB manual.
Old February 28th 04, 12:16 AM
jpsga

"Sue" wrote in message
om...

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...-7N400V%20Pro2.
htm
and then I seelcted the 5.26 MB manual.

There is a GigaRAID Function manual ( only for chipset IT8212 Used). There
is a SATA RAID Function ( only for chipset Sil3112 Used) I guess you should
have at least the GigaRAID book. It kind of explains NORMAL MODE which
means use the ports but in an array.
Jim