Gigabyte GA-8KNXP vs. ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

Old July 29th 03, 06:55 AM
DJ

Default Gigabyte GA-8KNXP vs. ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

I have been considering getting an ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE. I've had
previous ASUS boards and have always been satisifed with them. My Abit
KT7A-Raid was another story.

Anyway, I was considering the P4C800-E but recently Tom's Hardware
released a review and gave an editor's choice to the Gigabyte
GA-8KNXP.

I know I'm likely to get a lot of responses in favor of the Gigabyte
(Hopefully you are all happy with it) but I'm wondering if anyone out
there has had a chance to see both of these in action. Any opinions?

Some of the folks on the ASUS news group didn't think much of the
Tom's Hardware recommendation.

Thanks,

DJ
Old July 30th 03, 03:47 AM
Marshall Lai

Ditto. I got the 8KNXP and is very happy with it. However, Gigabyte is
slow in coming out with new BIOS relative to Asus. For example, the
P4C800-E already has BIOS supporting IAAR 3.5 for RAID 1 but GB hasn't even
heard of it yet (according to an email reply from GB's tech sup).

However, the quality of components on the 8KNXP seems to be better this time
around (TI IEEE1394 instead of the VIAs, for example). And price is lower
than Asus by a significant amount as well.

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
In the past I was normally an ASUS devotee, but this time around I went

with
the GA-8KNXP on the reccomendation of the local computer shop and several
reviews including Tom's.

Items that attracted me to the Gigibyte board were,

on-board Intel gigbit NIC
TWO SATA RAID devices, allowing you to run TWO SATA RAID0 arrays at the

same
time.
SIX sockets for DDR400 ram. most MB's only have four. And yes I'm

currently
running 4 pieces of 512k RAM (and almost bought two more just to fill the
board).

In addition to that, it has IDE RAID that supports 4 devices as well as

two
standard IDE connectors. This think can handle 12 drives at once.
Supposedlly the IDE RAID implimentation leves a bit to be desired in terms
of performance, but that didn't bother me, because I use SATA drives in my
RAID array.

I'm using mine with a 3.2Ghz cpu, and dual WD Raptors in RAID 0 along with
2gig of DDR400 RAM and a FX5900Ultra video card.
I've had mine for about a month now and I'm tickled to death with it.

Not sorry I didn't go the ASUS route this time at all.

Old July 30th 03, 06:21 AM
DJ

Great, thanks for the info.