WINXP, wireless Netgear. Internet access ok, mail does not work.

Old January 30th 04, 03:32 PM
Karolus des Reyches197

Default WINXP, wireless Netgear. Internet access ok, mail does not work.

I have the above configuration. A desktop with WINXP and a Laptop with
WINXP. Both home editions.

I use cable by Comcast in MD.

On the desktop all works fine, Internet and mail. Using IE and OE6.x.
On the laptop I use the same, the exact same settings and can access the
web, but cannot get mail.

The router is also Netgear MR314.

When I try to send or receive mail on the laptop it immediately comes up
with:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated, possible network problems, long
inactivity etc etc. None of that is true and I can at this very same time or
thereafter access the mail OE on the despot.

I have checked the settings and they are the same for Mail in laptop and
desktop.

Any other ideas that may help to fix this? Both computers are in the same
room. Signal strength is 5 bars, the highest.

Old January 30th 04, 09:24 PM
Karolus des Reyches197

I finally succeeded!!!!

I searched again my laptop and somewhere there was still Norton System Works
2002 installed. I had DISABLED it all the time, but apparently that was not
enough.

I did now a total un-install of it and now Internet (which did work before)
and now also E-mail work.

Thanks for all the advice and time of various people

Regards

Karel

Old January 30th 04, 09:32 PM
Noozer

"Karolus des Reyches197" wrote in message
I finally succeeded!!!!

I searched again my laptop and somewhere there was still Norton System

Works
2002 installed. I had DISABLED it all the time, but apparently that was

not
enough.

I did now a total un-install of it and now Internet (which did work

before)
and now also E-mail work.

You really should make sure that you have at least the Antivirus installed.

When using a router, you have to make sure that you are using the correct
subdomain.

Easiest way to find it is to connect one PC directly to cable modem, go to a
DOS window and do an "IPCONFIG /renew" to get your IP information from your
ISP, then do an "IPCONFIG /all" and look for "primary dns suffix", if it's
blank try looking for "connection specific suffix".... This should go into
the DOMAIN setting of your router (or if it isn't there, into the domain
settings in your TCP/IP properties on your computer)

Old January 31st 04, 09:57 PM
Karolus des Reyches197

I rejoiced too soon!

You just won't believe it (or maybe you will).

But after I was able to get Mail and surf the WEB with the Laptop, I shut it
down, to go to a social meeting. A few hours later when I came back, the
laptop would NOT connect again. Also, the throughput, which was always
10Mbps, dropped to 2Mbps. Why?

But now I am really at a loss.

So would problem has overcome me now?

Regards

Karel

Old January 31st 04, 10:08 PM
Noozer

"Karolus des Reyches197" wrote in message
I rejoiced too soon!

You just won't believe it (or maybe you will).

But after I was able to get Mail and surf the WEB with the Laptop, I shut

it
down, to go to a social meeting. A few hours later when I came back, the
laptop would NOT connect again. Also, the throughput, which was always
10Mbps, dropped to 2Mbps. Why?

Because you are using Wireless and it still really isn't good enough to rely
on.

I still think 802.11a is the way to go.

Old January 31st 04, 10:14 PM
Karolus des Reyches197

"a" ? Is that not from the ancient past?

I am using "b", not "g".

Old February 1st 04, 12:44 AM
kony

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:14:17 -0500, "Karolus des Reyches197"
wrote:

"a" ? Is that not from the ancient past?

I am using "b", not "g".

It just depends on the environment, and the specific equipment. My
wireless 802.11b gear, mostly D-Link parts, works fine, is reliable
with exception of one very cheap no-name generic card that must stay
relatively nearby the router to work, though i'd already wired all key
locations with CAT-5E so my main disappointment is that I'm suddenly
reminded it's wireless when i try to do something over the lan, like
steaming higher bitrate video.

If your laptop card is a cheap generic, you might try a name brand
card... buy from someplace with a good return policy, and if it
doesn't help the range or speed just return it and pay the restocking
fee.

Wireless router Tomaz Cedilnik General 4 February 4th 04 09:23 PM
Wireless Keyboards and Mice? Thomas M General 6 August 6th 03 09:41 PM