2 soundcards on one motherboard?

Old April 25th 04, 09:56 PM
Greysky

Default 2 soundcards on one motherboard?

I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run out
of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so that I an
use its input, will I run into problems, using the two soundcards at the
same time?

Old April 25th 04, 10:00 PM
dino

it is called a conflict....put a "Y" adapter on and do it that way

Old April 25th 04, 10:13 PM
Ted Brewer

Why don't you go to Radio Shack (or some equilivent store) and get some "Y"
cables, and use them?

Ted

Old April 26th 04, 03:24 PM
Darkfalz

"Greysky" wrote in message
I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run

out
of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so that I

an
use its input, will I run into problems, using the two soundcards at the
same time?

Windows allows you to have multiple audio devices, but all too often, they
don't get along.

Unfortunately for you, the onboard sound only has two settings, Auto and
Disabled. Auto will only enable it if it doesn't detect a sound card, and
disabled with obviously disable it. So it's lose-lose for you.

Old April 27th 04, 02:56 AM
Greysky

Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be shorted
together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the output of
my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the Rat shack
and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either audio input,
but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...

Greysky

Old April 27th 04, 03:18 AM
Darkfalz

"Greysky" wrote in message
. com...
Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be shorted
together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the output

of
my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the Rat

shack
and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either audio input,
but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...

I use a Y adapter to output both to my TV (TV out) and to my speakers.
Doesn't affect the sound of either (not usually using both at once).

Old April 27th 04, 07:53 AM
Kylesb

"Darkfalz" wrote in message
| "Greysky" wrote in message
| . com...
| Wish I could use a Y adaptor. But since the two inputs will be
shorted
| together, I will not get any sound and will most likely damage the
output
| of
| my audio devices. The only other solution is to get parts from the
Rat
| shack
| and build a switchbox so I can manually select between either
audio input,
| but this is a hassle I would rather avoid if I can...
|
| I use a Y adapter to output both to my TV (TV out) and to my
speakers.
| Doesn't affect the sound of either (not usually using both at once).

supplying an output signal to 2 different high impedance input
circuits is not the same as connecting to output signals together and
supplying the "combined" signal to a single input.

If you really want to go to the hassle of doing this, a simple op amp
circuit can be used to isolate yet combine 2 audio frequency signals.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old April 28th 04, 02:17 AM
Icebiker

Greysky wrote:

I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
soundcards at the same time?

I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra inputs
on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.

A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
free.

/Icebiker
Old April 28th 04, 02:50 AM
Darkfalz

"Icebiker" wrote in message
Greysky wrote:

I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
soundcards at the same time?

I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra

inputs
on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.

A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
free.

That's actually a really good idea. Audigy card probably comes with Aux,
Aux2 etc. on the card.

Old April 28th 04, 02:59 AM
Billy_Bat

"Icebiker" wrote in message
Greysky wrote:

I currently am running an Audigy soundcard on my P4P800, but I have run
out of inputs - I am wondering if I enable the built in sound chip, so
that I an use its input, will I run into problems, using the two
soundcards at the same time?

I don't know anything about the audigy, but sometimes there are extra

inputs
on the card (CD, Aux, modem) etc that you can bring out of the box.

A lot of these connections seem to be compatible with the CD audio
connector. I soldered a 2.5mm stereo jack to an internal CD audio cable,
and used the internal aux connector on my P4P800. An extra line input for
free.

/Icebiker

roflmao!
I thought I was the only one! I needed the input for my tvtuner card.
Although I have an external SB Extigy that I might try as well.

--

Good Luck!
BB

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe BIOS Problems Patrick Martin Asus Motherboards 4 November 16th 03 05:13 PM
No POST & no video signal - Broken motherboard? Paul Mc Homebuilt PC's 6 September 30th 03 07:43 PM
Please solve this Asus A7v8x-x Motherboard Problem Jon Asus Motherboards 4 September 30th 03 12:20 PM
your motherboard redbuffalo003 General 0 September 21st 03 04:08 PM
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard Questions Vincent Poy Asus Motherboards 9 July 24th 03 12:45 AM