Asus A7N8X-ED better than Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2?

Old February 23rd 04, 05:47 PM
Sue

Default Asus A7N8X-ED better than Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2?

Am choosing a socket-A motherboard for a new PC.

I want to use it for "power surfing" and "power home use" but I do not
need it for gaming, overclocking, video editing or any of that stuff.

I am very tempted by the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe but I will need to have
more than four IDE devices attaches and so will have to use a Promise
card. This pushes the price up quite significantly.

So as an alternative I am considering the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 which I
believe supports eight IDE devices.

Are there any other factors which i should be aware of when comparing
these two boards? I am particularly interested in STABILITY,
RELIABILITY, COMPATIBILITY and EASE OF USE.

Also I am on a budget so i can't spend without limit!

I would welcome any views on how these two boards compare.
Old February 23rd 04, 05:58 PM
Courseyauto

Am choosing a socket-A motherboard for a new PC.

I want to use it for "power surfing" and "power home use" but I do not
need it for gaming, overclocking, video editing or any of that stuff.

I am very tempted by the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe but I will need to have
more than four IDE devices attaches and so will have to use a Promise
card. This pushes the price up quite significantly.

So as an alternative I am considering the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 which I
believe supports eight IDE devices.

Are there any other factors which i should be aware of when comparing
these two boards? I am particularly interested in STABILITY,
RELIABILITY, COMPATIBILITY and EASE OF USE.

Also I am on a budget so i can't spend without limit!

I would welcome any views on how these two boards compare.

They dont get any better than the Gigabyte 7N400 pro,they arent the best
overclockers but are very stable an have a lot of features.
DOUG
Old February 23rd 04, 07:36 PM
Donkeyman

"Sue" schreef in bericht
om...
Am choosing a socket-A motherboard for a new PC.

I want to use it for "power surfing" and "power home use" but I do not
need it for gaming, overclocking, video editing or any of that stuff.

I am very tempted by the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe but I will need to have
more than four IDE devices attaches and so will have to use a Promise
card. This pushes the price up quite significantly.

So as an alternative I am considering the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 which I
believe supports eight IDE devices.

Are there any other factors which i should be aware of when comparing
these two boards? I am particularly interested in STABILITY,
RELIABILITY, COMPATIBILITY and EASE OF USE.

Also I am on a budget so i can't spend without limit!

I would welcome any views on how these two boards compare.

If you are looking for stability and reliability I recommend you the
Gigabyte. I have used for about 6 months now and untill now I haven't seen a
single blue screen. It's very very fast and in case of trouble with the bios
you can always switch to the bios, because there is spare one built in.
Kind greetings, Bob

Old February 24th 04, 12:57 AM
jpsga

The GA7N400-Pro 2 allows 4 EIDE devices up to ATA133. It has 2 parallel RAID
ports that will allow 4 drives and a pair of serial connectors the allow one
each serial drives.
If your looking for 'power home use' which means speed. The serial ports
(RAID 0) should be use as the C: or the boot drive.
The parallel RAID ports in a RAID 0 is great for general storage.
The EIDE are left for optical CD-RAW and DVD players.

'power surfing ' is more a matter of your connection. If your on Cable or
ADSL the on board NICK is very capable.

The built in sound can go about any way you want it.

This is great board.

JPS

..
om...

Old February 24th 04, 11:39 AM
Sue

DreamMaker wrote in message . ..
On 23 Feb 2004 09:47:16 -0800, (Sue)
wrote:

[...]

Ho! what program are you gone a use with 8 drive?
Just buy your self 2 15K scsi drive put it in raid mode and voila.
same price as 8 drive ide... maybe less

I have a lot of image data on sevearl large parallel IDE drives and
would like to have this available when I use the PC. I don't want to
buy any new drives because I can't afford them so, sadly, SATA and
SCSI are not options for me.

-- snip--

The asus board stand for stability and it as the nf2 (as well as the
ga) chip for video fiture, memory controler, ide controller... and
sound...

I have only ever owned an MSI board. I found their website, their
BIOS flashes and their tech support forums to be very disapointing.
Also the board sems to have had a probem with the power supply chip
and my board failed for probably that reason.

I have been told that the Asus A7N8X-ED is a very board. Not just for
use by overclockers but also for stabilty, reliability, compatability
and that sort f thing. Also lots of people seem to know about Asus
boards and can help out.

Is all this also true of the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2?

I have not really heard much about Gigabyte but you seem to speak of
them very highly. Do other people share the same view as you.

I would like to hear from anyone about this.

Thank you!
Old February 24th 04, 11:42 AM
Sue

"Donkeyman" wrote

"Sue"

[...]

Bob, I am pleased you think the GA-7N400 is a reliable board but is
six months long enough to give the mainboard all the hammering you
might ever give it?

Thanks for any more anfo from anyone!
Old February 24th 04, 08:45 PM
DreamMaker

I have a lot of image data on sevearl large parallel IDE drives and
would like to have this available when I use the PC. I don't want to
buy any new drives because I can't afford them so, sadly, SATA and
SCSI are not options for me.

then a good old dimondmax 9 plus 200gigs would do the thing..
model number: 6Y200M0
actual cylinder 395,136
Maximum cilynder 16,383
heads 16
Sectors 63
size 200.0 GB
speed 7200 RPM
i thing the mo at the end of the model number stnd for the 8 megs of
buffer...

I have only ever owned an MSI board. I found their website, their
BIOS flashes and their tech support forums to be very disapointing.
Also the board sems to have had a probem with the power supply chip
and my board failed for probably that reason.

There stuff cost about nothing and that whats is give you...

I have been told that the Asus A7N8X-ED is a very board. Not just for
use by overclockers but also for stabilty, reliability, compatability
and that sort f thing. Also lots of people seem to know about Asus
boards and can help out.

Is all this also true of the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2?

Here's what i've find in a auther group on gybabyte mobo. it'a problem
of noise that come for the capacitor i would say. what it those is a
buzzing noise that come very anoying on long terme...

Hi to all, I bought this Motherboard (GA-7N400-L) 1 month ago... When
i turn on the pc and particularly when I launch a graphic tool or 3d
game, I can hear a noise that comes (i think) from the upper left
corner of the motherboard, between Cpu and external connectors... this
noise is very tedious, it buzzes like something frying...

I'm sure that the noise does not come from the hard disk the Power
Supply (i changed it twice) and from the cpu and case fans!!!

I hope in your soon answer...
thx a lot, sandrino

answer from: coco
hi
i have a ga-7n400 pro2 (more or less the same as you) and i have the
the hissing noise too! the noise comes from the fans, mostly from the
chipset fan (you may not have any). i put a fanbus with better
filtering to the fans and now there is only a faint hissing to hear if
you put the ear to the backside.

i think there is switching ripples on the fanheads. swapping psu do
not help.

coco

I have not really heard much about Gigabyte but you seem to speak of
them very highly. Do other people share the same view as you.

I would like to hear from anyone about this.

Thank you!

So there is two gigabyte board from the frame factory that as the
particular noisy sound.

at the end of this the resulting problem would be a leak or melting
capacitor or a capacitor blow-up

but hey this is all from whats people have sayd and experience, so i
havent try these boards my self .... and probably wont try these....

but if you do i would love to know if it does the same thing, the
buzzing sound....

Maybe it those that because of a big cpu or a big video vard that suck
a lot of juice...

anyway

cia..