Couple of BIOS questions

Old October 17th 03, 08:25 AM
mike

Default Couple of BIOS questions

"Dave G" Dave wrote in message ...
"rstlne" .@. wrote in message
Aflash would not start up... the machine gives a "cannot find bios hook"
message....

I think AWDFlash is the correct utility for this board... I can access

it
by
pressing Alt-F2 during boot up.

Thanks anyway

Stephan said it in about the best way..
Some of the bios might not get updated every time you boot (Unless you

tell
it to do a full update)..
Basically your going to update the core award section of the bios each

time
you do an update, It might be just to add something as simple as 9.5 =
"Duron 1600".. But some parts of the bios is only going to be updated with
specific revisions.. the alt-f2 button you hit is actually a bios feature
and if you muck the bios up bad enough then you loose that feature

Here is a page by asus that you should take a look at
http://www.asus.com/support/english/...ios/index.aspx

AWDFlash is Awards Flash program, where AFlash is Asus only.. I dont know
the difference between the 2 but I do know that you need to use AWDFlash

write AWDFlash to the bios so you can use the alt-f2 recovery..
Do a bit of research before you try to update your bios because most

people
never need to do it

Thanks for the advice... and I did check that page before I updated...

The reason I wanted to update was that I was hoping that it would clear up a
few problems I've been having since I built a system around this board last
week...

Namely... When the PC is shut down, my monitor does not go into standby
mode. and secondly... the board emits no BIOS beep on boot up.

I have tested board with different monitors and several system speakers...
all the monitors work correctly and will go to standby if used with other
machines. Plus I know the Motherboard is capable of sending the monitors to
standby as it does so if told to in WinXP power management... e.g. send to
standby after 10 minutes inactivity etc... it just won't do it when it shuts
down.

Motherboard is also capable of sending out Beeps because if I boot with no
RAM I get the expected long looping beeps

Might be a fault I suppose

I have the exact same mainboard with a couple of problems. I also get
no initial beep... As well I have another problem.... I wanted to
reflash my bios back to 1005 from 1006 because I now cannot boot past
the mup.sys file when booting Windows xp.

However when I go into the bios to allow the floppy drive to boot, I
discover that I cannot select the floppy as a boot device. I can
select the LS100 device, but there is no ability to select floppy.

When I boot with the alt f2 rutine to bring up a flash utility, it too
reports that there is no floppy device....

Are you able to boot from a floppy? I updated my bios from the web
util. (I found that the web util usually works for me but only if I
select Germany's server rather than the Taiwan server. (DE instead of
TW))