first build.. problem

Old September 9th 04, 04:49 PM
Christo

Default first build.. problem

Specs:

Abit NF7 Motherboard
AMD Athlong XP2600+
512mb Crucial DDR333 memory
sony cdrw/dvd combo drive
alps floppy
maxtor hdd (un formatted was going to do it in XP setup has no files on but
has been used as a secondary)
GAINWARD geforce fx5200 256 agp graphics card

the board has no onboard video

everything goes together apart from a it of hassle getting the heatsink in
and fan in the right way and a problem with the back plate on the case
everything has gone together good but....

when i come to turn on the power... something just beeeps then stops... then
beeps again

i think it might be the maxtor hard drive but am not sure.

the case a few cables loose which i didn't know where to put them they have
GROUND and +D on them they are all single little black pin connecter bundled
together... the abit manual never said anything about them so i guess i
should leave em out!

anyone tell me whats up... maybe i should clear the CMOS.. im new to this
its the first time i have had the time and money to go out and try it...
could the board be DOA? the LED's towards the back are lighting up on the
board so i dont think it could be that?

I had to put a fair bit of force onto the heatsink when i was installing
it.. maybe that did something to the processor?

anyone.. please help!

Old September 9th 04, 04:51 PM
Christo

anyone.. please help!

oh and i have tried to open the CD drive (to insert abit disk) when the
computer is on and beeping away but nothing happens?

Old September 9th 04, 04:54 PM
Christo

anyone.. please help!

ah sorry for adding to this but the fan does spin when i turn the computer
on... nothing happens nothing on monitor ust the front LED's come on and the
system beeps, then stops then beeps once again and stays in that loop for a
while!!

help i dont wanna have wasted my money

Old September 9th 04, 04:58 PM
ICee

Christo wrote:
anyone.. please help!

ah sorry for adding to this but the fan does spin when i turn the
computer on... nothing happens nothing on monitor ust the front LED's
come on and the system beeps, then stops then beeps once again and
stays in that loop for a while!!

help i dont wanna have wasted my money

Look at the beep codes on this page and determine which error code you
are hearing:
http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Old September 9th 04, 05:02 PM
Christo

"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
anyone.. please help!

ah sorry for adding to this but the fan does spin when i turn the
computer on... nothing happens nothing on monitor ust the front LED's
come on and the system beeps, then stops then beeps once again and
stays in that loop for a while!!

help i dont wanna have wasted my money

Look at the beep codes on this page and determine which error code you
are hearing:
http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

it appears to be repeating beeps, and according to that page it is memory.

on the board there are 3 memory banks, two of which are a kind of purple
colour and one which is a dark blue... i had my memory inserted into the
dark blue slot... is this different from the other two?

Old September 9th 04, 05:29 PM
ICee

Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
anyone.. please help!

ah sorry for adding to this but the fan does spin when i turn the
computer on... nothing happens nothing on monitor ust the front
LED's come on and the system beeps, then stops then beeps once
again and stays in that loop for a while!!

help i dont wanna have wasted my money

Look at the beep codes on this page and determine which error code
you are hearing:
http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

it appears to be repeating beeps, and according to that page it is
memory.

on the board there are 3 memory banks, two of which are a kind of
purple colour and one which is a dark blue... i had my memory
inserted into the dark blue slot... is this different from the other
two?

Memory slots 1 and 2 are channel one of the memory controller, slot 3 is
the second channel, so if you have two modules, you can run in dual
channel. The two slots close to each other are one channel, the slot
further away (and different color, apparently), is the other channel and
is slot 3 (numbered from closest to CPU to furthest). With only one
memory module, it is recommended that it be in slot 3, but try the other
slots, it should work in any slot. If not, it could be you have a bad
module.
If changing slots doesn't help, unplug the power, then remove the BIOS
battery, or short the reset pins. Wait a few minutes, then replace the
battery, or put the jumper back to normal, plug the system in and see
what happens. If you still have the problem, the best thing would be to
try another memory module.

Old September 9th 04, 05:38 PM
Christo

"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
[...]

i have it working thanks for your help... i had my memory in channel 2 as
you describe it and channel one where the two slots were i had empty.. i
changed my memory into channel 1 and now it boots fine into the BIOS

thanks again

chris

Old September 9th 04, 05:43 PM
Christo

aha i knew it wouldn't be clean sailing, I have went into the bios and set
the cd-rw/dvd combo drive as primary boot device.. it boots and as usual
displays "booting from ATAPI CD-ROM:"

i open the drive while the system is in post and put the windows disk in the
drive (it isnt original mind) and when it boots from cd-rom nothing
happens... it goes on to say

NTDLR missing

press alt+ctrl+del to restart

the other thing is my drive wont open after it finishes booting from the
cd-rom and apprantly finds nothing there.. the only time it will open is
when the geforece fx5200 graphics card bios are displayed on screen and then
it goes into post etc etc.

whats up.. is it a dud cd-rw/dvd drive.. it can still act as a cd-rom as i
have done it with combo drives before... and the BIOS are picking it up fine
when i check in the boot sequence there?

anyone?

Old September 9th 04, 06:02 PM
ICee

Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
[...]

You're welcome. Glad you got it going.

Old September 9th 04, 06:32 PM
ICee

Christo wrote:
[...]

I believe the CD has to be in the drive when you boot up. Are you
hitting the space key to boot from the CD? The error you're getting is
one that comes up with a drive that already has the OS on it.