New Mobo / Processor - OS Question

Old November 2nd 03, 02:05 AM
ck26

Default New Mobo / Processor - OS Question

I've been told by my hardware store that upgrading my motherboard and
processor might screw up my OS (in my case windows 2000) to the point that I
would need to re-install the OS (I think mainly they said because of the
motherboard). Is this true? What reasons? I've already downloaded in
preparation the drivers for the motherboard (ASRock K7VT2 with 1.4 duron).
Is there any other way I can prepare for the change and to avoid a
re-install? I thought it would be a simple case of plugging the HD in and
installing the drivers through windows wizards as it detected the changes...

If I did need a re-install - its not going to mess up to the extent that my
existing partitions which contain non-OS or program dependent data on it,
will be trashed also, is it? I'm sure not - but I would like some
reassurance first! (I have of course backed up anyway).

Old November 2nd 03, 03:06 AM
Phrederick

"ck26" wrote in message
[...]

New mainboard could very well mean fresh install. You might be able to get
away with a "repair" installation, but I'd back up data before doing this
swap.

Old November 2nd 03, 09:41 AM
Colin

Upgrading your MB or processor will certainly require a fresh install of
windows 2000. A Win 2000 will not run on changed processor speed.
Colin

Old November 2nd 03, 10:39 AM
Alien Zord

"ck26" wrote in message
[...]

It depends on how 'different' your new mobo is from the old one from
on-board devices point of view. If your old board is VIA chipset based as is
the new one then you may get away with it without any problems. If the
chipsets are of different design, say Intel or SiS to VIA then you will
have problems up to possibly Win2k hanging during boot. Booting to safe mode
with the new mobo and installing VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers may help.

Old November 2nd 03, 04:49 PM
Peter

"Colin" wrote in message ...
Upgrading your MB or processor will certainly require a fresh install of
windows 2000. A Win 2000 will not run on changed processor speed.
Colin

Yes it will! I upgraded my machine from a 1100MHz Duron to a 1467MHz
Athlon XP without reinstall Win2k, or Linux. The OS's probably won't
like a change of MB though. The change of processor is fine but I
wouldn't be too keen on changing a MB without reinstalling the OS's.
Old November 2nd 03, 10:49 PM
DaveW

If you replace the motherboard and CPU and do NOT reinstall XP you can end
up with major Registry errors. If you decide to reinstall you'll need to
reformat the harddrive first which will lose ALL of your files, so have the
backup ready.

--
DaveW

Old November 3rd 03, 06:20 AM
Brett

What the F*#K are you talking about ??
processor doesn`t make a lick of difference.....
motherboard change will need a re-install....
repair function is pretty crap... clean install is the way to go if
possible....

Brett.....

Old November 4th 03, 02:30 AM
Alex Delarge

"DaveW" wrote in message news:ERfpb.68058$9E1.293518@attbi_s52...
If you replace the motherboard and CPU and do NOT reinstall XP you can end
up with major Registry errors.

Oh yeah? And which "errors" are those?
Old November 4th 03, 03:05 AM
Phrederik

"Alex Delarge" wrote in message
om...
"DaveW" wrote in message

If you replace the motherboard and CPU and do NOT reinstall XP you can

end
up with major Registry errors.

Oh yeah? And which "errors" are those?

Bluescreens

Flakey hardware

Freezes

non-working hardware

DLL errors

Old November 4th 03, 03:57 PM
Pen

Did you think about the hard drive controllers, floppy controller? or
the USB ones?
Possibly sound, network and video also.
Thought not.

"DaveW" wrote in message

If you replace the motherboard and CPU and do NOT reinstall XP you

can end
up with major Registry errors.

Oh yeah? And which "errors" are those?

Quick nForce/GeForce question. ~misfit~ General 4 October 30th 03 11:50 AM
Mobo FSB question James General 2 October 4th 03 02:23 PM
Intel 875PBZ mobo - Ram & Prescott question Mac General 1 September 27th 03 01:35 PM
Gigabyte Mobo with Keyboard PS2 port failure Hans Huber General 2 August 12th 03 10:47 PM
New mobo - comp still won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 7th 03 07:49 PM