Replace Noisy Case Fan in a Dell Dimension 4300 PC

Old January 16th 04, 03:52 AM
Jay Chan

Default Replace Noisy Case Fan in a Dell Dimension 4300 PC

I would like to know if there is any good and quiet fan that I can use
to replace the noisy case fan in my Dell Dimension 4300 PC. This PC
makes a constant medium pitch noise. I have determined that the noise
is solely coming from the case fan that pulls hot air from the CPU.
The hard disk and the fan in the power supply are quite quiet. But
that case fan somehow is noisy. This is the reason why I want to
replace it with a quiet one.

The spec of the existing noisy case fan is:
DATECH
9232-12HBTL
DC 12V 0.70A
DC BRUSHLESS FAN
P/N 7G538

According to some discussion in internet, I get these info:
- 9232 means 92mm diameter 32mm depth
- 0.70A is kind of high for a case fan. This explains
the reason why it is noisy.
- Dell may need such a powerful fan to cool down the CPU enough?

My questions a
- Does anyone replace the case fan in Dell Dimension 4300 before?
Does this cut down the noise? Did the CPU overheat?
- Any other suggestion on a compatible and quiet fan?

Thanks in advance for any recommendation.

Jay Chan
Old January 16th 04, 04:02 AM
JAD

Your confusing a 'case' fan with a 'CPU' fan.. a case fan mounts in the front , top, rear, of the case and the CPU fan is
mounted on the heat sink and that on CPU

Old January 16th 04, 05:36 AM
Will Dormann

JAD wrote:

Your confusing a 'case' fan with a 'CPU' fan.. a case fan mounts in the front , top, rear, of the case and the CPU fan is
mounted on the heat sink and that on CPU

With some Dells, there's not much of a distinction between the two. The
fan may be physically mounted as a rear case fan, but a cowling makes it
cool the heatsink on the CPU.

-WD

Old January 16th 04, 05:30 PM
Jay Chan

With some Dells, there's not much of a distinction between the two. The
fan may be physically mounted as a rear case fan, but a cowling makes it
cool the heatsink on the CPU.

Your description of the case fan is exactly correct. The fan is
mounted on the case facing the rear. There is a large plastic hood
that encloses the CPU (I am sure there is a heatsink on top of the
CPU; I haven't checked it though). The hood directs the air flow over
the CPU and out from the case fan.

I am just wondering whether anyone has successfully replaced that case
fan in that Dell PC with a quiet one. That Dell PC otherwises is very
quiet...

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Old January 18th 04, 02:23 PM
Allen_L

Jay Chan wrote:
With some Dells, there's not much of a distinction between the two.
The fan may be physically mounted as a rear case fan, but a cowling
makes it cool the heatsink on the CPU.

Your description of the case fan is exactly correct. The fan is
mounted on the case facing the rear. There is a large plastic hood
that encloses the CPU (I am sure there is a heatsink on top of the
CPU; I haven't checked it though). The hood directs the air flow over
the CPU and out from the case fan.

I am just wondering whether anyone has successfully replaced that
case fan in that Dell PC with a quiet one. That Dell PC otherwises
is very quiet...

Thanks.

Jay Chan

There are several people that have replaced the Dell CPU case fans with
bearing fans that are quiet. Do a search on Google Groups in the
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell newsgroup, you will see some sucessful posts. Only
hard thing is removing the Dell fan from it's assembly that fits into the
back of the case. The shroud fits over the fan and down to the CPU. And to
answer another question posted above, there is a very large heatsink on the
CPU. Board wiring for the fan may need a little modification also. I'm using
a Dell Dim. 4100 with is about the same machine.

....Allen

Old January 19th 04, 03:47 AM
Jay Chan

alt.sys.pc-clone.dell newsgroup, you will see some sucessful posts.

Thanks for the link. I will go there to check it out.

Jay Chan