Possible to remove Proliant 8500 style heatsink from a Xeon 550MHz?

Old September 12th 07, 01:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Trojan Hussar

Default Possible to remove Proliant 8500 style heatsink from a Xeon 550MHz?

I have a Proliant 5500 Xeon which currently has a pair of SL3CF (2Mb
cache) 550MHz Xeon's. In the UK it's proving difficult to find this
stepping and those which I am finding are equipped with 7000/8500
series heatsinks with fins.

Is it possible to remove this style of heatsink and replace it with
the version suitable for the 5500 server?

Regards,
TH.

Old September 12th 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Trojan Hussar" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Proliant 5500 Xeon which currently has a pair of SL3CF (2Mb
cache) 550MHz Xeon's. In the UK it's proving difficult to find this
stepping and those which I am finding are equipped with 7000/8500
series heatsinks with fins.

Is it possible to remove this style of heatsink and replace it with
the version suitable for the 5500 server?

Regards,
TH.

I dont think the Heatsink is specific to the stepping on the CPU/Package. If
the HS is the same, you can use them. They are a little tricky to get off,
though ...

- LC

Old September 15th 07, 10:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Trojan Hussar

I've just got out a spare 500MHz Xeon and the heatsink is held on with
a simple metal clip, so it shouldn't be an issue to remove it. I've
never had the opportunity to handle a Xeon with the 7000/8500 style of
heatsink but I was wondering if the heatpipe and fins were bonded in
some way as to prevent removal.

I might just buy a cheap one from eBay and give it a try, they don't
seem to be selling for a great deal.

Regards,
Jason.

Old September 18th 07, 10:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Trojan Hussar

heatsink. The 8500 heatsink is held on by 5 torx and the processor
retention clip. Remove them all and then firmly pull the heat plate
and heatpipe away, scrap off the white transfer paste residue and
you're ready to apply a new heatsink.

Regards,
Jason.

wrote:

"Trojan Hussar" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a Proliant 5500 Xeon which currently has a pair of SL3CF (2Mb
cache) 550MHz Xeon's. In the UK it's proving difficult to find this
stepping and those which I am finding are equipped with 7000/8500
series heatsinks with fins.

Is it possible to remove this style of heatsink and replace it with
the version suitable for the 5500 server?

Regards,
TH.

I dont think the Heatsink is specific to the stepping on the CPU/Package. If
the HS is the same, you can use them. They are a little tricky to get off,
though ...

- LC- Hide quoted text -

How To Remove Heatsink On X1900GT? Fidelis K Ati Videocards 3 October 23rd 06 06:13 AM
remove heatsink kimbo_ Homebuilt PC's 9 July 27th 06 10:53 AM
How to remove fan/heatsink on X700 Pro? Jonathan Fidelis Ati Videocards 1 January 31st 06 08:07 PM
Proliant 8500 Robert Bates Compaq Servers 10 August 24th 05 05:38 PM
Proliant 8500 Leigh Bowden Compaq Servers 2 November 26th 03 08:46 PM