Proliant 2500 BIOS/utilities?

Old July 24th 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
VinceV

Default Proliant 2500 BIOS/utilities?

this is what i was hoping for ...

thanks for weighing in with your input, Vince.

- LC

I have 4 of those running Gentoo and cranking out web pages. They are
rock solid. The 1850's have the same memory reporting issue with
Linux.

Thank goodness the newer Gentoo install disks have eliminated the
stage 1 (compile the install tools) option, that took almost a week to
get the system compiled, installed, and a custom kernel genned.

For anyone looking for info about the Smart controllers under linux
check the Gentoo forums. There are tons of examples, how to's and
other stuff to save you hours of frustration.

VinceV

Old July 26th 07, 05:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
VinceV

On Jul 19, 10:05 pm, Huub "v.niekerk at hccnet.nl" wrote:

I want to install Slackware Linux 12 on a Proliant 2500 with a
raidcontroller/3 disks, but when I try to access F10 - System Partition
Utilities, it says "no operating system found". I've tried searching for
the right SP, but don't know exactly which one I should have.
I've also tried to boot straight from Slackware CD, bit neither cfdisk
nor fdisk can access a /dev/md.. drive.

The gotcha with the SMART Raid controllers...

I remembered the memory gotcha but totally forgot about the cpqarray
driver gotcha. The naming convention for the devices is a bit fuzzy
with that driver as the same disk device is recognized by different
names at different stages.

You can see how this is outlined he
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...mart+2500.html

For an example look at the device names in Step 2 and Step 5
Step 2: Partioning
"/dev/sda" = /dev/ida/c0d0/disc
"/dev/sda1" = /dev/ida/c0d0/part1
"/dev/sda2" = /dev/ida/c0d0/part2
"/dev/sdb1" = /dev/ida/c0d1/part1
....etc.

Step 5: fstab
/dev/ida/disc0/part1 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1
2
/dev/ida/disc0/part3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/ida/disc0/part2 none swap sw 0 0

There are similar differences configuring the boot loader (grub) too.

VinceV