Proliant 1600 and IMD LCD Y-Cable

Old December 15th 06, 09:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

Default Proliant 1600 and IMD LCD Y-Cable

I was given a Proliant 1600 here at work.

Was also given two, new in-box IMD LCD displays. Could not figure out
how to connect till I noticed a picture of one on Ebay with what's
called a Y-Cable. Splits the ribbon cable down to two smaller
connectors. Those connectors I assume connect to the backplane that the
CPU cage and PCI cage connect to.

Am I correct or does the IMD connect to a PCI type card?

If indeed it connects to that backplane via the Y-Cable does anybody
have a spare Y-Cable? I'd be willing to pay for the shipping.

The Ebay iem was going to 9.00 with 15.00 shipping. I already have two
displays, just need the Y-Cable. Perhaps I could swap a display for a
Y-cable

Thanks All

Robert
Concord, NH

--
mchero
mchero's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=319

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

Old December 15th 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

There is no pci-type card that those devices connect to. You will indeed
need the "Y" cable as you have described.

- LC

Old December 15th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

I'm junking a another 3000, and I think it has that display. If LG or
someone says it's the same, you can have what's needed from that unit if
it's there.
Phil

Old December 15th 06, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"mchero" wrote

I was given a Proliant 1600 here at work.

I think someone might be trying to tell you something???

Old December 16th 06, 02:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

Jez T;2680906 Wrote:
"mchero" wrote

I was given a Proliant 1600 here at work.

I think someone might be trying to tell you something???

Please, Tell me what they are telling me Jez T

Phil, Thanks for the reply! The Y-cable is about 3 inches long, long
mail pin on one side, splits to two female pins on the other side. PM
me if you have the cable & I'll shoot you the coinage.

This is a server that I configured for my 15 year old who is into
computers. Yes it's an outdated server but it works & the price is
right.

Thanks for the replys folks.

Robert
Concord, NH

Old December 17th 06, 04:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

mchero wrote:
Please, Tell me what they are telling me Jez T

In short....you have just been "jezzed".

Phil, Thanks for the reply! The Y-cable is about 3 inches long, long
mail pin on one side, splits to two female pins on the other side. PM
me if you have the cable & I'll shoot you the coinage.

All of my 1600's (seven in all) have the IMD...although it did not come
"stock" with the machines. I actually used a dremel tool to split the
connector (for the two that I lacked an adapter for) and they worked
just fine. I take pictures of everything, and I have a couple of photos
that show where EXACTLY to saw the connector and peel the ribbon apart.

It has always seemed strange, to me, that Compaq did not include the
IMD in the stock 1600 package. The bios is fully set to utilize
it...only the cable mod is required. Perhaps 16x3 LCD displays were a
big money item at the time. Nevertheless, be advised that they work
perfectly on a 1600. These machines (with dual 600M processors) are
quite useable in todays environment...despite what Jez (a "the newest
is the best" European) might say. My systems run Server2003 with no
problem whatsoever...and they are built like a tank. Please remember
that the innovators, in computer technology, will always be right here
at home...the Europeans lag behind us in technology, and that INCLUDES
the ability to coax extra life out of, so called, older systems. Please
keep your "grain-of-salt" handy when reading any advise that they might
give.

This is a server that I configured for my 15 year old who is into
computers. Yes it's an outdated server but it works & the price is
right.

See what I said above.

Thanks for the replys folks.

My pleasure.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old December 17th 06, 04:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ups.com...

mchero wrote:
[...]

Jeffery, there is always two sides to the fence. Granted the old "tanks" are
reliable and perhaps will outlive 99 percent of the new stuff. That said, I
still use a lot of G1 stuff but the power bill is killing me. I'm paying
some 2500 a month and have to find a way to cut cost. When the other person
pays the bill, that's one thing, but when it comes out of your pocket it's
another.

Some on this board in the past have asked, when is it more economical to
upgrade to newer units. If you only have one or two machines, and use them
intermittently, it makes no difference. You leave them on 24x7 you see 15 to
30 bucks a month per unit increase in electricity cost.

At some point it is cheaper to scrap the older units and get a more
efficient unit/s. I am starting to look at all the newer technologies
including water-cooled units. There has to be a way to cut cost. Even at
2500 a month, that's 30,000.00 a year in power. I have pulled all kinds of
tricks to cut power consumption, but the older units just consume more
power.

There is a balance, but the big boys like Jez T works with can apparently
afford the newer units. At this rate it looks like I can't afford not to
upgrade.

Just because you can still get mileage out of surplus units doesn't mean it'
s cheap to operate. Cost of electricity keeps rising and in some parts of
this country as well as other parts of the world it's many times what we
pay. Then that 15 to 30 per month cost per unit could be as much as 45 to 70
a month to operate. Don't condemn "everyone" if you don't know all the
facts.
Phil

Old December 17th 06, 09:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

mchero wrote:
[...]

Yah, word up on that.

If you want to know what your machines are pulling, do a search on the HP
site for "Power Calculator" ... it has .xls spreadsheets (which I call
"models) for most all the specific server models (at least the ones I have
looked for). This should give you a rough idea of the power consumption, in
watts and amps) for each device you have. Bear in mind, its close, but not
exact and good enough for ballparking.

http://h30099.www3.hp.com/configurator/powercalcs.asp

These models could be used to compare a G2 and G3 or G4 family of DL380. You
might be suprised as to what costs more to run.

check it out and draw your own conclusions.

- LC

Old December 17th 06, 10:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

mchero wrote:
[...]

Nutcracker,
up late or early start ?
I found that link some time ago.
I'm actually exploring all options including some blade servers, even
different brands. Cooling fans seems to be a large cost of Compaq server
operation. I chopped about 80 watts off each of 10 ups's by installing
proportional fan control. I would almost bet that would yield a similar
savings on the servers too. I can design a small board that can be installed
in the units to take care of that..

I've been slowly upgrading drives to faster and larger units to reduce the
total number spinning, that is also helping but the drive cages have fans
there that pull a fair amount too.

There has to be a product that will be a better solution, perhaps the new
dual core units.
Just looking at all angles now. Oh, I had been migrating to the newer
Compaq's, but that hasn't saved any power. The quad units pull the juice
regardless of version.

Phil

Old December 17th 06, 09:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

Jeffrey Alsip;2682082 Wrote:
mchero wrote:
[...]

Jeff, I was thinking about splitting the plug! Please, Shoot me the
destructions + PICS if you can. robertmchenry at comcast dot net.