Recover array after replacing failed Smart Array 3200 controller on Proliant 1600

Old November 29th 06, 11:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

Default Recover array after replacing failed Smart Array 3200 controller on Proliant 1600

Hi,

I have a Proliant 1600 with a Smart Array 3200 controller and two 9.1
GB disks in a RAID 1 mirror. The controller recently failed and I have
replaced it. Now when the system boots it gives me the following error:

"Smart Array 3200 controller (rev A , v 4.16) 0 Logical Drives
1785-Slot 5 Drive Array Not Configured
Drive Positions appear to have been changed
Run Array Diagnostics Utility (ADU) if previous positions are unknown
Then turn system power OFF and move drives to their original
positions."

Pressing F1 to continue results in Non-system disk or disk error
because it can't find the RAID logical drive

If I boot from SmartStart and then run the ADU I get the following
information:

"SLOT 5 SMART ARRAY 3200 CONTROLLER ERROR REEPORT:

Swapped cables or Confiuration error detected
An unsupported drive rearrangement was attempted. SOLUTION: Power down
system then move the drives back to their original location.
Controller is not configured.
Drive at Port1,ID3 indicates it should be located at Port 1,ID 1
RIS copies between drives do not match
No configuration for array accelerator board"

In Physical view it then shows the controller with SCSI bus 1 having 2
x 9 GB drives with IDs 3 and 4.

The drives are definitely in their original slots as they have not been
moved.

If I then run the ACU I geth the Unconfigured Controller Wizard.
Viewing the current config again shows the two drives at ID 3 and 4. If
I continue with the Wizard it gives me the option of adding the two
drives to a new Array A.

How do I get the controller to recognise the existing RAID 1
configuration so I can recover the server?

Thanks in advance,

Vaughan

Old November 29th 06, 02:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Your array controller remembers the last configuration it had. Since this
controller does not have an RBSU, i would recommend disconnecting the drives
from the cage, booting from smartstart, and clearing the controller
configuration. Then, put the drives back in, and reboot. The drives should
teach the controller thier config, and you can go about your business.

Let us know if you have any other questions,

- LC

Old November 29th 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

Hi LC,

After a bit more checking I realised the disks are actually in slots 3
and 4 which is what the ADU was reporting. On that basis I tried moving
the disk in slot 3 to slot 1 as directed by the ADU.

At boot the SAC then found 1 logical drive which was some positive
progress. It then reported that drives 0, 2 and 3 (i.e the slots with
no disks) were not found with the usual F1-continue F2-fail disks
options. I pressed F2 to fail the disks and it still came up with the
non system disk error.

Rebooting with SmartStart and going into the ADU shows that it is
looking for a RAID5 logical drive with physical disks in all 5 slots.
There has never been any other disks in the server so it looks like the
config on the disks is shot.

I had already tried pulling both disks and using the ACU to clear the
controller but it gave errors about being unable to change the array
config without any disks and the option to delete the config on the
Array menu was greyed out. In any case it was saying that the
controller had no config in the original ADU report.

At present we are looking at a reinstall and restore unless anyone has
any other ideas.

Thanks for your help,

Vaughan

Old November 29th 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

follow my instructions below and you will be fine.

- LC

Old November 29th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

Sorry LC, but I'm a bit confused.

I've pulled both drives out of the cage and booted to smart start. If I
go into the ACU it gives me the information that no drives are
connected which you would expect. Once in the ACU I cannot do anything.
Every option gives an error saying this cannot be performed with no
drives present on the controller.

Should I be using a different utility than the ACU?

Cheers,

Vaughan

Old November 29th 06, 07:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Hrm ...

The only other way I know of to totally clear out the array config is to do
a system erase (with the drives popped out, of course).

Then, boot from SS, do a little system setup to setup the NVAM, then reboot
with the disks in. you should see 1 logical, not other complaints. then boot
to the F10 partition and run the SCU. Save the settings, and boot again.

- LC

oups.com...

Old November 30th 06, 09:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

I have run the sys erase utility and done the mini setup. I then put
the drive I moved back into the slot where it was originally. At boot I
still get the same 'drive rearranged illegally' type error as before. I
F1d to dontinue and run SS but it gives me a new message that there are
no physical or logical drives on the controller so cannot launch SS.
The physical drives are attached even if it can't find the logical
drives.

Annoyingly it also says press any key to run the sys erase utility so I
have powered the server off for now.

The server is running an unsupported legacy app on an unsupported O/S
(NT4) and the app is being phased out in a few months anyway. At the
moment the app team are checking with business to see if we can move
the phasing out forward to now ;-) If not then we'll do a best efforts
attempt to get the system restored from backup.

Thanks for all your help.