LC, or experts on the 6400 ?

Old November 12th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Default LC, or experts on the 6400 ?

LC, or a resident 6400 expert,
I was going to scrap that 6400 (some of that Chicago stuff), but after
looking at it I didn't have the heart. It had 4 Gig ram, 4 550 Xeon cpu's,
not sure if 1 or 2 meg cache each, 2 raid cards. After doing some reading I
noticed an article saying the 6400 could be upgraded as newer cpu's came
out. I think I have 4 spare 700's, perhaps some 900's too that look the
same. My cpu's will fit the DL580 that looks about the same. Will they work
in that unit, if so will it find them and make the necessary settings? A no
go? Thoughts.....

Thanks,
Phil

Old November 12th 06, 11:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Phil" wrote
LC, or a resident 6400 expert,
I was going to scrap that 6400 (some of that Chicago stuff), but after
looking at it I didn't have the heart. It had 4 Gig ram, 4 550 Xeon cpu's,
not sure if 1 or 2 meg cache each, 2 raid cards. After doing some reading
noticed an article saying the 6400 could be upgraded as newer cpu's came
out. I think I have 4 spare 700's, perhaps some 900's too that look the
same. My cpu's will fit the DL580 that looks about the same. Will they
work
in that unit, if so will it find them and make the necessary settings? A
no
go? Thoughts.....

Thanks,
Phil

I don't think you'll get a lot out of upgrading it, though if you've got the
CPUs, you might as well put them in (IIRC, takes up to 700Mhz CPUs) - All
CPUs must be identical.

But a fully loaded 6400 is one hell of a toy. It will run just about any OS,
and will run some (NT4, Linux) extremely well indeed.

Old November 12th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Jez T" wrote in message

[...]

Jez,
I got this 6400 as part of a "lot" of stuff that I bought primarily for the
rack cabinets, Compaq 7142's. Originally I thought I would just scrap it for
parts, like the power supplies will fit the DL580 G1 units. I don't think
the ram is compatible with any servers I have. With this thing loaded with 4
gig ram I thought it rather crazy to "junk" it. It appears to be a very nice
unit. I thought I might put it on Ebay along with a bunch of other stuff.
Seems like I remember the rants years ago about the 6400 being a good
database server, but lacking in other areas. If it will support 700's,
perhaps it will bring a buck or two more.
I see why LC likes these units, it appears to be a very good and solid
server, bet it outlives 10 new ones! The 6400's are now bringing between 50
and 500 bucks depending on configuration and "luck". Some other units in
that lot were Compaq 5000's and 3000's, they have already been disposed of.
Fact is, I had never seen a 5000, I sent LC a link to the photos and he was
right-on in identifying them as 5000's. I'll try the 700's as soon as I can
get some time.
Thanks,
Phil

Old November 12th 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Phil" wrote in message
LC, or a resident 6400 expert,
I was going to scrap that 6400 (some of that Chicago stuff), but after
looking at it I didn't have the heart. It had 4 Gig ram, 4 550 Xeon cpu's,
not sure if 1 or 2 meg cache each, 2 raid cards. After doing some reading
noticed an article saying the 6400 could be upgraded as newer cpu's came
out. I think I have 4 spare 700's, perhaps some 900's too that look the
same. My cpu's will fit the DL580 that looks about the same. Will they
work
in that unit, if so will it find them and make the necessary settings? A
no
go? Thoughts.....

Thanks,
Phil

i havent tried to run anything faster than the 500/550's in the 6400r's.
Might work ... give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

- LC

Old November 13th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

In article , Nut Cracker wrote:

i havent tried to run anything faster than the 500/550's in the 6400r's.
Might work ... give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

That's what I was under the impression of as well.. I've got Quad 550's in my
6400r and it's a great workhorse.. I picked mine up for $50 from a not to
distant scrap dealer.. It was the best purchase I've made in a long time.. I've
had it humming my Linux tune for quite a while now with no problems other than
a fan that crapped out last year.

Old November 14th 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Rick F." wrote in message
In article , Nut Cracker
wrote:

i havent tried to run anything faster than the 500/550's in the 6400r's.
Might work ... give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

That's what I was under the impression of as well.. I've got Quad 550's in
my
6400r and it's a great workhorse.. I picked mine up for $50 from a not to
distant scrap dealer.. It was the best purchase I've made in a long time..
I've
had it humming my Linux tune for quite a while now with no problems other
than
a fan that crapped out last year.

It *might* support the 700/900Mhz chips, but I doubt it. I know for sure
that it wont support the 133FSB proc's.

But given the choice between a 6400 with 700's and a DL580 with 700's, I
would take the 580 hands down.

- LC

Old November 16th 06, 06:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Nut Cracker" wrote
"Rick F." wrote in message
i havent tried to run anything faster than the 500/550's in the 6400r's.

It *might* support the 700/900Mhz chips, but I doubt it. I know for sure

Won't work.

PL6400R supports 500 and 550Mhz processors only. Don't bother with anything
else - won't work - the systemboard won't support it.

Search for this document on the HP site.
401054-003
Page 4-8 documents the switch settings for processor speeds.

Old November 16th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Nut Cracker" wrote
"Rick F." wrote in message
i havent tried to run anything faster than the 500/550's in the
6400r's.

It *might* support the 700/900Mhz chips, but I doubt it. I know for sure

Won't work.

PL6400R supports 500 and 550Mhz processors only. Don't bother with
anything else - won't work - the systemboard won't support it.

Search for this document on the HP site.
401054-003
Page 4-8 documents the switch settings for processor speeds.

Thanks Jez

Old December 22nd 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
jimcuk

Hi all
I also have a couple of 6400r's, however I am having problems getting
both processors seen by the os,
I have tried centos 4.4 and red hat 7.3 which is supposed to be
supported

but cat /proc/cpuinfo shows only 1 processor
can I ask which OS's you are using and if linux which kernel's
I am selecting the smp kernel but no luck?

any ideas

thanks
Jim

--
jimcuk
jimcuk's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=394

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

Old December 22nd 06, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"jimcuk" wrote in message

Hi all
I also have a couple of 6400r's, however I am having problems getting
both processors seen by the os,
I have tried centos 4.4 and red hat 7.3 which is supposed to be
supported

but cat /proc/cpuinfo shows only 1 processor
can I ask which OS's you are using and if linux which kernel's
I am selecting the smp kernel but no luck?

any ideas

thanks
Jim

you must run the system configuration utility and set the OS type to UNIX,
Other, Linux.

only then will you get SMP support from you linux distributions.

- LC