Installing Op system on computer with no CD ROM

Old September 16th 03, 10:20 PM

Default Installing Op system on computer with no CD ROM

Hello all: I just won a compaq POS on ebay for $19 that I am turning into a
mp-3 server. Nothing fancy. However, it does not have a cd-rom drive. Do I
change the bios to boot from network to get it going? This one is new to me
and I always up for a challenge....Thanks.
J.

Old September 17th 03, 01:16 AM
kony

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:20:01 GMT, "J" wrote:

Hello all: I just won a compaq POS on ebay for $19 that I am turning into a
mp-3 server. Nothing fancy. However, it does not have a cd-rom drive. Do I
change the bios to boot from network to get it going? This one is new to me
and I always up for a challenge....Thanks.
J.

Seems to me like a CDROM drive would be a useful feature for an MP3
server (hint).

I doubt that it can boot from network unless this was a pre-configured
corporate box. It'd be a lot easier to hook a CDROM drive up even if
only temporarily, but otherwise just pull the HDD and copy the files
onto it.

Then again, "POS" doesn't tell us a whole lot about it, and was
already a given when you typed "Compaq".

Dave

Old September 18th 03, 03:24 AM
Charles Hammond

You should try to get some kind of floppy boot disk that has network
support on it. Might be able to partition and format a hard disk with a
win98 boot disk.

A Compaq CAN BE a pain in the neck. Older Compaq models had the CMOS on
the
hard drive and you had to have a special boot disk to set up the hard
drive in the BIOS. I would try to look this computer up on the
manufacturers website.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, J wrote:

Hello all: I just won a compaq POS on ebay for $19 that I am turning into a
mp-3 server. Nothing fancy. However, it does not have a cd-rom drive. Do I
change the bios to boot from network to get it going? This one is new to me
and I always up for a challenge....Thanks.
J.

Unexpected system switch off Tony Cooper General 3 September 8th 03 06:21 AM
Computer Buying Advice [email protected] General 5 September 3rd 03 07:58 AM
System temps Ed Coolidge General 2 August 20th 03 05:22 AM
old computer compaq LTE 5380 does not boot. alain General 2 August 8th 03 04:45 PM
Real hardware problem this time - computer won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 4th 03 02:55 AM