change hard drive to IDE 3 using Promise 20276 controller

Old April 27th 06, 10:24 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default change hard drive to IDE 3 using Promise 20276 controller

I would like to change my hard drive connection from IDE 1 to IDE 3 on
my gigabyte GA-8IEXP motherboard. I would also like to utilize the
ATA133 feature of IDE 3 which uses the Promise 20276 chip. My OS is
Mandrake 10.0 , (2.6.3.7 kernel).
I only have the one hard drive and it is hda on IDE 1. I believe IDE 3
equates to hde. Can I just edit the etc/lilo.conf file and replace hda
with hde, then plug in my hard drive to IDE 3? Do I need to modify the
etc/fstab file or any other files?
As for the ATA 133 feature, my manual says I need to load the Promise
driver for my OS. However, tech support told me I don't need the
promise driver, I could just follow the procedure here,
http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/. That procedure is for a new
install and I don't want to wipe my hard drive. Is there another way
to boot from hde? Do I need the driver? Can I use the one for RedHat?
I looked at the proc/pci file, it's empty.
My goal it to get my hard drive on IDE 3, and eventually put a second
hard drive on IDE 4. Then I can put my DVD drive on IDE 1 and CD drive
on IDE 2. I tried my DVD drive on IDE 3, it runs painfully slow.
Promise tech support told me the 20276 chip works better with hard
drives as compared to DVD or CD drives so that's why I'm trying to
get my hard drive on IDE 3.
I'm new to Linux, a few months now and could really use some help.
Thanks,

Kooner.

Old April 28th 06, 02:12 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

On Thursday 27 April 2006 23:24, Kooner stood up and spoke the following
words to the masses in /alt.os.linux.mandrake...:/

I would like to change my hard drive connection from IDE 1 to IDE 3 on
my gigabyte GA-8IEXP motherboard. I would also like to utilize the
ATA133 feature of IDE 3 which uses the Promise 20276 chip. My OS is
Mandrake 10.0 , (2.6.3.7 kernel).
I only have the one hard drive and it is hda on IDE 1. I believe IDE 3
equates to hde.

More precisely, if every IDE channel has a master and a slave, and if
you plan on attaching the hard disk to the master of the third IDE
channel, then it would be */dev/hde,* yes. The slave of that channel
would be */dev/hdf.*

Can I just edit the etc/lilo.conf file and replace hda with hde, then
plug in my hard drive to IDE 3? Do I need to modify the
etc/fstab file or any other files?

Yes, */etc/fstab* will need to be modified as well. However, I
recommend doing the modifications while booted up from a Live or Rescue
CD, mounting your hard disk's root partition on */mnt* and thus
changing */mnt/etc/fstab* and */mnt/etc/lilo.conf.*

In order to save the LILO changes to the master boot record of the hard
disk, you will then have to issue...

lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf -b /dev/hde

See...

man lilo

.... for details.

As for the ATA 133 feature, my manual says I need to load the Promise
driver for my OS.

Every piece of hardware requires a driver. However, chances are that
the kernel will autodetect your controller and load the driver module
for it.

However, tech support told me I don't need the promise driver, I could
just follow the procedure here, http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/.
That procedure is for a new install and I don't want to wipe my hard
drive.

That procedure is also for RedHat Linux 6.2, which uses a 2.2 kernel. A
lot has changed in the meantime... ;-)

Is there another way to boot from hde?

Modify the files you need to modify - see my explanation above - and all
should go well... ;-)

Do I need the driver?

I get the feeling that you are talking about "the driver" as being some
separately supplied software module, or worse: a Windows-specific
driver - most helpdesks are unaware of the fact that there are still
other operating systems out there than Microsoft Windows... grin

Can I use the one for RedHat?

A driver is a driver, and it is or should be part of the kernel tree.
Drivers should also match the kernel version.

I'm not an expert on IDE drivers, but I do believe that the driver
module for the adapter you are referring to already is part of the
/vanilla/ Linux kernel tree.

And just once again...: the procedure you are referring to in that
hyperlink you pasted is for RedHat 6.2, which is seriously outdated.

I looked at the proc/pci file, it's empty.

Does the output of...

dmesg

.... reveal anything about the controller?

My goal it to get my hard drive on IDE 3, and eventually put a second
hard drive on IDE 4. Then I can put my DVD drive on IDE 1 and CD drive
on IDE 2. I tried my DVD drive on IDE 3, it runs painfully slow.

Probably because you haven't enabled DMA for that adapter. Check out...

man hdparm

Promise tech support told me the 20276 chip works better with hard
drives as compared to DVD or CD drives so that's why I'm trying to
get my hard drive on IDE 3.
I'm new to Linux, a few months now and could really use some help.
Thanks,

If you're new to GNU/Linux, then perhaps I should mention that all
commands I have mentioned in my reply - except for the commands that
show you a /man/ page - require root access.

Good luck! ;-)

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*