GA 7N400 Pro with 2500+

Old August 5th 03, 01:12 AM
NewB

Default GA 7N400 Pro with 2500+

I have never overlocked so want to get some basic info

I just got a gigabyte 7N400 Pro mobo and a 2500+ barton in a box with
512mb of 2700 ram

the mb has 2 open fan jacks, SYS_Fan and PWR_Fan, both 3 pin labeled
+/-/sense I got some generic 3 wire fans for front and back of my
case, and they run but bios reports them at 0 rpm. The third wire is
soldered to a pad marked "S" so I assume it is for 'sense' but seems
feedback isn't working. Are special fans needed for rpm feedback or
might this be a mb/bios issue?

Also, there is an onboard agp fan. It seems to work intermittantly.
Is it temp controlled, so that it only turns on when the agp is warm?

and, would you recommend i get 3200 ddr for this board/cpu? The MB
supports 400 fsb so should i get ram that can handle that and try to
push the cpu to 200?

last, there are 4 ide jacks, one white and three neon lime green. the
mb came with three 80 cond ribbon cables with lime green connector at
one end. Should these be reserved for IDE0 PM and the IDE2,3 RAID
ports? The manual suggests putting the cdrom onto the secondary
master, ide1 - the white port. Does a cdrom need anymore than the
standard 40 cond ribbon cable?

In my current system, I have HDs as masters on both primary and
secondary and a cdrom as PS and cdrw as SS. That way, If I transfer
HD to HD I *think* I would get the fastest rate rather than having
both HDs on the same cable. Would fast HD installed as SM be slowed
sdown by a slower CDrom on the same cable?