single file/driver for fan control

Old October 5th 07, 03:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

Default single file/driver for fan control

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Okt, 04:47, "Phil" wrote:
"Jez T" wrote in message

wrote

Hello

I'm having problems with my ML350 server fan speed. Running at full
speed all the time. I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 and I don't know how to
install the Linux driver or which of them that best suits Ubuntu.
There are drivers for Suse, RH, UnitedLinux and SCO available but
which of them will fit on my Ubuntu dist?

Anyone who has a clue?

What model ML350?

Noisy servers are quite a common complaint - Only ever happens with

the ML
line, never the DL line.

Servers are not designed to be quiet - they're designed for a server

room
environment with adequate cooling.

Hello Jez,
Yes they are all noisy but starting with the DL 380 and ML370 G1's they

have
"environmental" control. Seems like that board has 4 or 5 thermal

sensors
and the fans have proportional fan speed control. It is controlled by
software rather than in the bios. It does make a huge difference in

noise
level when the fans are throttled down. Fact is, a 370 gets about quiet
enough to use in an office environment. It also saves a little

electricity.

Answering the other persons question. I use Fedora but I would bet the
drivers I use will work just fine. If you can wait until I get to the
office, perhaps tomorrow evening or Tuesday, I'll give you exact numbers

as
well as some notes to simplify install. Save you some time and keep you

from
installing wrong files. If I recall the file you want to install has
numerous revisions. Early versions requires installing gobs of other

stuff
to make it work. The later files/versions had compatibility problems.

What
we use seems to work across the board with no issues on G1, 2 3, and 4.

can't afford g5's right now!
Phil

Hello Phil

I'm very interested in your solution for the fan speed control.
I have tested with w2k on the server and then I can control the fans,
but that isn't what I want to use.
Looking forward for your help

Regards

/Per Medin

Per Medin
I apologize I am so tardy getting back.
I'll get that info and compose some notes now.
I'll post back in a little bit all you need.
Phil

Old October 5th 07, 04:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

wrote

I'm having problems with my ML350 server fan speed. Running at

full
speed all the time. I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 and I don't know how

install the Linux driver or which of them that best suits Ubuntu.
There are drivers for Suse, RH, UnitedLinux and SCO available but
which of them will fit on my Ubuntu dist?

Sorry for the delay, but here is what you want.

FIRST, if you have any hpasm stuff installed you want to remove them. If so
see notes below. You can and will have conflicts with other versions of
these files.

Ok, What you are after is the hpasm There are numerous versions of that. The
earlier versions required loading a bunch of extra support stuff to make it
work. The latest versions had/have all kinds of conflicts. What you want is:
hpasm-7.7.0-115.rhel3.i386.rpm
It contains everything you need including the configuration files and is
compatable with most Linux flavors.

Download it he
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/25299.html

You might want to go to that page and review the install first, but it is
not gospel.

First what are you after, just fan control? If that is the case you can
bypass the snmp stuff.
You may get errors saying not found or that you may need to reinstall, just
ignore that. All we want is the health drivers installed and that will
happen.

Here we go.
After you install the rpm above, we need it to build a config file and make
a few settings. go to a terminal window and type in:
hpasm activate
When you see the screens you don't understand, just hit the enter key
accepting defaults. Forget what the errors say.

Once it's all installed, the fans should slow down.
Now at the terminal type in:
Hpasmcli
Now type help

You should see a list of command available for that module.
From here we can monitor temperature, fans, power supplies (if it has
redundant supplies), turn on the wake on lan, set the F1 key on or off as
well as some other goodies.

For example to see the temps at 4 separate locations in the server type
show temp, To see fan status type: show fans.

Anytime you can type help and if you type something wrong it should display
a help with the syntax to use.

One it is set up you don't have to mess with any of that stuff. It loads
automatically and when the drivers get loaded on boot the fans slow down.
Bear in mind, as you place a load on the server, get it's juices flowing so
to speak you will hear the fans increase in speed. That's normal for them to
regulate internal temperature.

Old October 10th 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

On 5 Okt, 05:27, "Phil" wrote:
wrote

[...]

From here we can monitor temperature, fans, power supplies (if it has
redundant supplies), turn on the wake on lan, set the F1 key on or off as
well as some other goodies.

For example to see the temps at 4 separate locations in the server type
show temp, To see fan status type: show fans.

Anytime you can type help and if you type something wrong it should display
a help with the syntax to use.

One it is set up you don't have to mess with any of that stuff. It loads
automatically and when the drivers get loaded on boot the fans slow down.
Bear in mind, as you place a load on the server, get it's juices flowing so
to speak you will hear the fans increase in speed. That's normal for them to
regulate internal temperature.

Sorry for not giving you credits for the time you spent in trying to
help me. I'm sorry to say that it didn't work on Ubuntu because of
some problems with dash insted of sh (I think) and a couple of other
problems too. I'm no guru on Linux either. But I did find a link with
the solution. Anyone interested can check this out
http://www.cylindric.net/blog/2007/0...e-of-the-fans/ It
works on Ubuntu 7.04

Thanks for trying.

/Per Medin