powers itself on, all by itself

Old June 8th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Default powers itself on, all by itself

Perhaps a primitive question to someone, but why does it power itself
on, all by itself .

I still use a bunch of the old DL380G1's (dual 1gig, 2 gig ram) and
recently started upgrading to Fedora 6. The severers are working
flawlessly, all the health stuff installed and that too is working
properly.

My problem, I have a unit all hooked up but powered down, it turned on
all by itself. No wake on lan stuff, just the standard Compaq cards, a
5300/64 controller and a Compaq dual nic.

With me on an energy conservation kick, this thing is not cooperating,
any suggestions ??

Thanks, Phil

Old June 8th 07, 01:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Perhaps a primitive question to someone, but why does it power itself
on, all by itself .

I still use a bunch of the old DL380G1's (dual 1gig, 2 gig ram) and
recently started upgrading to Fedora 6. The severers are working
flawlessly, all the health stuff installed and that too is working
properly.

My problem, I have a unit all hooked up but powered down, it turned on
all by itself. No wake on lan stuff, just the standard Compaq cards, a
5300/64 controller and a Compaq dual nic.

With me on an energy conservation kick, this thing is not cooperating,
any suggestions ??

Thanks, Phil

Ok, perhaps that was the wrong question to ask .

I found out why and how that thing turned itself on and in doing so,
discovered that the old DL380, ML370, and the DL580 G1's was ahead of it's
time. It not only has full WOL (Wake On LAN) but also PXE support (Preboot
Execution Environment). In other words, software can setup and control all
this.

About a year ago I was asking how I might power-on these machines when
powerd up or lan control, and aside from the suggested lights out cards I
got no other answers. I found others trying to find out how to make WOL
work, also with no success. Do a google on "compaq DL380 wol" and it gets no
positive results on how to make it work, just more questions, and lots of
them.

Well, it all works, Fedora 3 and 6 (probably all flavors), automated fan /
temperature control, wol, and many other features, and I might say, it's as
slick as a new babies butt.

I now have 100% remote control of starting, rebooting, shutting down of
linux os and the server and full AC line power on / off. This allows total
control or automation via remote scripts over the network.

For example, I can now have a couple of backup machines to replace any of
multiple different working servers. Say you have a script monitoring a
process and it detects a problem with server X, it can fire up a standby
server reconfigure the IP address to match the downed/problem servers
address and load the needed applications for replacing the lost server. A
replacement server can be auto configured and on-line in the time it takes a
machine to boot, a totally automated process.

Ain't bad !
Phil

Old June 8th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
msg

Phil wrote:

snip

I now have 100% remote control of starting, rebooting, shutting down of
linux os and the server and full AC line power on / off. This allows total
control or automation via remote scripts over the network.

It would be helpful to post to this NG the names of any kernel modules
(either compiled-in or dynamically loaded) and any daemons responsible
for this condition, and also to inspect the source code and mention
the names of the authors responsible and their contact information.

Regards,

Michael
Old June 8th 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

It would be helpful to post to this NG the names of any kernel modules
(either compiled-in or dynamically loaded) and any daemons responsible
for this condition, and also to inspect the source code and mention
the names of the authors responsible and their contact information.

Regards,

Michael

I'm trying to figure out what you want, it sounds like you want to
hire
a programmer.

First, there is no magic "set of modules" to automate a bunch of
custom
servers or custom built applications. Learn Linux/Unix/Perl and
everything else
is VERY simple. All users would not have the same needs setting up and
controlling a batch of servers anyway.

In my case, it's all custom scripts and 99 percent of all our data
processing is by perl scripts amd we are building all the scripts to
do
everything.

I'm not for hire, but I'll be happy to share the basics on what you
may
need. So what do you need, how to load the new fedora on the Compaq's,
how
to configure the HP stuff in them, wol issues/setup, automating/
programming or just reference information.

I can/will put a basic how-to together to setup Fedora on these
Compaq's and
include the problems and cures I ran into, basic configuration and
perhaps
some code snippets and/or how to control power on/off/reboot from the
lan.

It's all very simple, if you know the what's (like version numbers of
what
works), the when's (the sequence to load what when), and how's (guess
the
what and when is the majority of how's!). Frankly, I'm amazed I
haven't had
a hundred people tell me how-to on the various questions/problems I've
had.

Nutcracker is one of the most advanced here on this Compaq stuff, his
only
problem he is a windows man. I have to use linux and want to stick
with
redhat/fedora.

Phil

Old June 9th 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
msg

Phil wrote:

It would be helpful to post to this NG the names of any kernel modules
(either compiled-in or dynamically loaded) and any daemons responsible
for this condition, and also to inspect the source code and mention
the names of the authors responsible and their contact information.

Regards,

Michael

I'm trying to figure out what you want, it sounds like you want to
hire
a programmer.

Not at all. You reported solving the problem of instrumenting these
machines under linux; I just felt it would be useful to the world
to publicize what kernel modules and daemons are doing the job and
who wrote them or is responsible for them. If these include
'binary blobs' without released source knowing that would also
be useful.

Regards,

Michael

pc powers up and goes off immediately Nick Gigabyte Motherboards 3 April 25th 06 11:15 PM
Help: PC powers down.. kinda Pdigmking Homebuilt PC's 2 March 2nd 05 04:51 PM
Powers supply John Homebuilt PC's 47 November 14th 04 08:32 AM
A7V8X-ME powers on only from PS Marco415 Asus Motherboards 1 May 16th 04 09:41 AM
asus p2b powers up by itself James Asus Motherboards 1 July 1st 03 03:32 PM