Remove SCSI drive from DL380 while on?

Old November 29th 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
just bob

Default Remove SCSI drive from DL380 while on?

I have RAID5+1 and the spare has just been activated. In slots 4 and 5 I
have a mirror and I want to break the mirror and use one of the drives as
the spare for the RAID5+1. That would work fine if I could reboot the
server but I cannot. Can I just pull the drive out of slot 5 while "hot" and
not have any problems?

Thanks!

Old November 29th 06, 07:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Pulling 1 member of a mirror while the servers is online is HIGHLY
UNRELIABLE. Your chances of having a disk that you can boot to is extremely
low.

I need to do this all the time, and what we do is schedule a maintenance
window with the customer, power the box off, pop the drive, and power it
back on. This is VERY RELIABLE.

It simply must be done that way.

- LC

Old November 30th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Nut Cracker" wrote
Pulling 1 member of a mirror while the servers is online is HIGHLY
UNRELIABLE. Your chances of having a disk that you can boot to is
extremely low.

I need to do this all the time, and what we do is schedule a maintenance
window with the customer, power the box off, pop the drive, and power it
back on. This is VERY RELIABLE.

It simply must be done that way.

Indeed. You can hot-plug a drive, but you can't hot-unplug it.

Old December 1st 06, 07:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Nut Cracker" wrote
Pulling 1 member of a mirror while the servers is online is HIGHLY
UNRELIABLE. Your chances of having a disk that you can boot to is
extremely low.

I need to do this all the time, and what we do is schedule a maintenance
window with the customer, power the box off, pop the drive, and power it
back on. This is VERY RELIABLE.

It simply must be done that way.

Indeed. You can hot-plug a drive, but you can't hot-unplug it.

I hear you but I have pulled them hot, many times. I have about 10 bays of
10 or 14 drives a bay. If I hear a drive start whining, or getting noisy,
long before the drive is reported by the system as having problems, I'll
pull it out and pop in a new one. Never lost a thing. I do have them all
setup with a hot spare and immediately when I pull a drive I can see the hot
spare start rebuilding. It doesn't take long and it switches itself to the
replaced drive and then starts rebuilding it.

It may be a nono, but never a problem. I have also done that right on a
multiple drive server where a drive is getting noisy. They are also setup
with hot spare but no loss with replacing it that way either.

Old December 1st 06, 12:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Phil" wrote in message

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Nut Cracker" wrote
[...]

I think you misusnderstand me ...

Hot Pops so that you can replace a noisy/failed/failing drive is totally
fine. However, if you want to hot pop a drive that is part of a mirror so
that you can use the poped disk to boot from in another machine .... that is
what I was strongly cautioning against.

Hopefully this is more clear.

- LC

Old December 2nd 06, 12:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
just bob

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Nut Cracker" wrote
[...]

Actually, all the same server, I wanted to break the mirror in slot 4 and 5
and use the disk in slot 3 which is the hot spare port for the raid of slots
0, 1, and 2. However we decided to wait until the replacement drive arrived
the next morning.

RAID 5 toast? [email protected] Storage (alternative) 16 October 31st 06 11:57 AM
Several issues in one playstation60 Homebuilt PC's 11 August 12th 06 07:09 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Help With Locked Hard Drive Louis Bybee Storage (alternative) 29 November 22nd 03 03:01 PM
Building a new system: SCSI or IDE? Jonathan Sachs Storage (alternative) 48 August 5th 03 07:11 PM