compaq proliant 850r /boot troubles

Old November 6th 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
peacekeeper

Default compaq proliant 850r /boot troubles

I'm about to setup a Compaq Proliant 850r with the 2 pentiums on board
but am afraid I messed up some settings in the boot settings.
When I power the machine up it gives me the message that I've got a
serial cable error and I have not the slightest idea how to solve this.
I need a way to et into the boot settings again (i.e. where the OS,
server/no server and all of those settings) to retore factory defaults.

BTW: on what OS this machine runs with the best performance? I'm
thinking about NT 4.0 for 2 processors since all later MS is way to
heavy.
*ux is out of the question since this unit is going to be used in a
gymnastics centre and computer knowledge is a rare item with those
girls...

Old November 6th 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

No offence peacekeeper, but throw it away.
You are correct, it is dual Pentium, but it's the old 180 or 200 Meg Pentium
pro's.

If you need a real cheap machine, go to Ebay and you can find Compaq model
800, 1600, or 1850R, that all pentium3. I see the 1850R's all the time for
10 to 25 ish and will have one or dual P3 550's and perhaps dual 600's. If
you watch the shipping cost you can get that down to 20 to 40 bucks
depending on where each of you are located. Spring for a little more and get
an even faster machine, but of the models I listed, 550 or 600 MHz is the
best they will do.

You will have less trouble all the way around going that route. Where are
you located? I am getting ready to take a load to the dump and can give you
better machines if you are willing to pay shipping. A thought..

Phil

ups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 12:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Phil" wrote
No offence peacekeeper, but throw it away.

Hey - that's my line :-)

"peacekeeper" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm about to setup a Compaq Proliant 850r with the 2 pentiums on board
but am afraid I messed up some settings in the boot settings.
When I power the machine up it gives me the message that I've got a
serial cable error and I have not the slightest idea how to solve this.

Last time I saw one if these was 1999. It was old and underspecced even
then.

I agree with Phil (no surprise there)
I think that if you did find out what's wrong, it will turn out to be a
systemboard fault.

Just to put your mind at rest, create a SmartStart 5.50 CD from the
downloadable ISO file, boot to that, and run a HW diagnostics.

Old November 7th 06, 05:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote
No offence peacekeeper, but throw it away.

Hey - that's my line :-)

"peacekeeper" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm about to setup a Compaq Proliant 850r with the 2 pentiums on board
but am afraid I messed up some settings in the boot settings.
When I power the machine up it gives me the message that I've got a
serial cable error and I have not the slightest idea how to solve this.

Last time I saw one if these was 1999. It was old and underspecced even
then.

I agree with Phil (no surprise there)
I think that if you did find out what's wrong, it will turn out to be a
systemboard fault.

Just to put your mind at rest, create a SmartStart 5.50 CD from the
downloadable ISO file, boot to that, and run a HW diagnostics.

or, do a system erase and start completely fresh ....

but yah, that is an old dog. the most modern MS OS you could run on it would
be 2000, and thats already almost 7 years old.

It would be nice if the OP indicated HOW those gymnists were supposed to use
the machine .... something about tights and servers just cant gel in my
mind.

So, phil is going to make a run to the landfill ... whatcha getting rid of ?

- LC

Old November 7th 06, 06:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
t...

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote
[...]

?

- LC

LC,
Remember those photos you looked at for me of the 4 Compaq 7142 racks up in
the Chicago area. I bought those racks and equipment primarily for the rack
cabinets. You looked at a large Compaq server and said they looked like 5000
's, you were dead on, you know your stuff! Those 5000 "dinosaur's" are
going, I think a 3000, some pre UE array enclosures and perhaps more, but it
's "junk".

Oh, I get to see what a 6400 looks like up close and personal now, a 6400
was in that lot. I don't need it but thought I would see what I could
salvage as spares for the 580's. I know the power supplies are the same,
possibly some fans and ram. Looks a lot like the DL580 that I have a bunch
of. If I scrap it out I'll give you the motherboard and some other goodies
that you might like as spares to your units. A shame I didn't have it when
you bought your motherboard! You are welcome to anything I don't keep or
need.

I also have a stack of 6 or 8 ue enclosures stuffed full of drives that I
retired a long time ago. Damn shame I didn't sell them then while you could
get something. I'll try them for cheap on Ebay and if they don't move they
will be destined for the crusher too. I did manage to get what I hope is
enough rails out of them and another lot I bought out of Atlanta. I found it
cheaper to buy the racks loaded with stuff than buying empty racks. The only
problem was, both the Chicago and Atlanta lots weighed in at some 3 - 1/2
tons.

Even with freight on all that, it was still cheaper than buying empty
cabinets and freight on only cabinets.

Phil

Old November 8th 06, 08:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
peacekeeper

Nut Cracker schreef:

or, do a system erase and start completely fresh ....

but yah, that is an old dog. the most modern MS OS you could run on it would
be 2000, and thats already almost 7 years old.

It would be nice if the OP indicated HOW those gymnists were supposed to use
the machine .... something about tights and servers just cant gel in my
mind.

I know it's a prehistoric piece of hardware but that's just the fun
part of it all, new machines like one of IBM's latest blades (or a
BlueGene) do not give the educational fun.
It's just to be used as a file server (mainly .txt and some .doc/xls)
for progression books and tournament schedules. Nothing special.
Nothing to do with tights at that end. I might decide however to use
this one as streamserver for tournaments and "after game shower"
excercises lol

Just burned a SmartStart 5.50 but after initial startup & processor
(2x200Mhz) initalization it stops, claiming "serial cable error
detected".
This only first occured when I'd change some system settings and now I
want to go back to the previous or orginal state.
How can I get the HDD's empty bypassing this serial cable trouble?
There's nothing to attach, nor ever has been. Lot's of cables though so
what to attach in case bypassing is not possible?

Old November 8th 06, 08:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Schmidty14 via HWKB.com

I have a number of older Proliant machines. You can contact me at
.

Phil wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Old November 8th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"peacekeeper" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nut Cracker schreef:

[...]

As Jez said, good chance the error you are getting is from a defective main
board.
Learning is one thing, but what is the advantage of learning something that
is so obsolete that it has no revelance or use today.
I'm a walking library of old useless information that it is not worth a dime
anymore!
Start with something that you can at lesst get some use out of, and
streaming data on that old thing, forget it.

Now that you have found a place to get someone to guide you, consider their
time and advice on upgrading before all the time is spend and you wind up
with nothing.

The bottom has dropped out of these old servers. The only thing a newer P3
will cost you is a little shipping.
You still have to learn the process, but at least you can wind up with a
machine that you can use. Another note on the real old machines is power
consumption. If it stays on 24x7 expect to see your power bill rise between
20 and 35 bucks a month without the monitor on.

Phil

Old November 9th 06, 08:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
peacekeeper

You guys convinced me and I'm now setting up an IBM/P2 ThinkCentre to
be used as file server.
Nice black design stuff and at least 75% less noise which is worth a
wile as well ;-)

Might gonna speak with IBM's scrap dept though since a lot of used
material (trade in for for brand-new IBM's) is being destroyed in
Germany.

The Compaq will be donated to the tech musuem here in Amsterdam (NL) as
this might be the missing link between the first machines and the
current blade servers ;-)

Thanks so far for your efforts and comments